Fear Of KerningYour Newly Refurbished Alloys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Benz17

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350d AMG Premium (W213)
So after replacing all my GY run flats to NRF MPS4s, I was in two minds to get my diamond cut alloys refurbished, they were not corroded, but had some kerb damage on all four, in the end i decided to go for it, thinking that the car is 5 years old, and would look better for it, and I like to keep my car in good condition, just like other enthusiasts do.

So went with Lepsons, as have used them before for my W211, and they have done a fantastic job.

On Monday the car is going to KDS Keltec, for a 2 stage correction detail, and followed by crystal Serum Ultra ceramic coating.

My question is do people who get their alloys refurbed, or people with new cars, always weary when parking, trying to avoid the inevitable kerb damage, (is it inevitable) and roughly how far do others park from the kerb, to minimise the risk of kerbing.

Yes I was careful before, but seems I am being extra careful now.

I try to park in longways parking spaces to avoid that issue.....but to be honest I'm usually pretty good at avoiding the kerbs....so personally I don't think it is "inevitable"....especially if you have your door mirrors set to see the kerb before you park. Kerbs are not invisible after all. . My wife on the other hand parks "by ear"!

I do tend to reverse park, and do have dipping mirror, shame I don’t have 360 camera, the first couple of nicks was within a few months of getting the car, and the other couple were in underground shopping car parks. To be fair wasn’t that many but we’re on all four corners sadly, I could notice the damage even if others could only on closer inspection.

I think the odd kerb is pretty much inevitable.

One lapse of concebtration or an arrogant oncoming driver that pushes you into the kerb.

However i am currently 6 months post alloy wheel refurb without a single nick. Fingers crossed long may it continue

I try quite hard to be careful and keep 6 inches from any curb.....but it always goes pear shaped eventually.

Last time I looked it was legal to park 50cm from a kerb , yes HALF A METRE !! Anyone who parks like that should not be allowed to drive.

OP , not suggesting you park in such a manner.

Haven’t measured😄 but at a guess I am leaving a gap of around 3-4 inches, anymore then that especially around London then the risk is getting your car scraped 😳

Hate marking my alloys, but same when change the car always more frightening at the start of getting it marked.

I largely eliminated kerb rash After switching to smaller 16" alloys on the s205 compared to the 17" AMG Style 2's on the w202. I still have the style 2's on the w202 as it sits forlornly on sorn in my parking space.

I find the only time I’ve ever kerbed my wheels is when I drive into London. :/

I go to Cornwall quite a bit (going to retire there too!)....and lots of the towns like to use kerb stones made of roughly hewn granite blocks. Very hard wearing I'm sure....but quite capable of destroying tyres let alone wheels. I park a bit further from the kerb when I down there!!

A bit like this stuff....

1664702350484.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom