Ferrari v Porsche.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AMGeed

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
W210 E280 x2, w211 E55, W212 E63 biturbo, S204 C180K
I was fortunate enough to have a passenger seat drive last week in two cars I have long admired. Both owned by my brother in law residing in Abu Dhabi, he has a Ferrari California and a Porsche 911 Turbo, (along with a Bentley Continental and Maserati and an unknown 4x4) Lucky guy, but he worked hard for his dirhams.

The Porsche is a hugely capable car with blistering acceleration and uncanny roadholding when pushed. Nothing like the early 911 Turbo's that tried to kill you if you got too enthusiastic with the throttle pedal. I was impressed.
But the California is a whole different level. That engine note when the revs climb, the seating position and the shove in the back when accelerating. It demands to be driven quickly. I know I'd have speeding points within days. And its such a head turner. I know given the choice I'd choose the Ferrari.
There is a lot of money splashing around in the UAE and this is one car that appears to be admired by all. Mercedes don't cut it there anymore. Far too common like BMW's and Lexus.
How I forgot to take photos before they were parked up in the garage don't know, but here they are. Rubbish photos of two splendid cars.20221126_144638.jpg20221126_144658.jpg

There's something about F cars that's intoxicating and elevates them to a level above other cars despite the fact that other cars can be faster, more comfortable and more valuable. Quite often more appropriate and easier to live with.

That said I cant think of anything that I'd change mine for. 4000 miles in to ownership, I'm still as excited to drive it as the day I collected it.

^ I can understand your feelings toward the brand completely. I have always been ambivalent about Ferrari until last week. It's not so much a drive as an experience.

Those are mega!

Porsche turbo for me every time. Two reasons....one they are a practical daily should you choose and generally very reliable....all Ferraris are far from that.....my dad's best mate has had loads of them....even he won't drive one across Europe!...and secondly I really don't like the image of the Ferrari owner....the big LOOK AT ME IM RICH and the football players that buy them just make it worse. Pity as they are usually, but not always, great cars. There would however be space for an F40 in my Lottery garage!....proper racer on the road.

Porsche turbo for me every time. Two reasons....one they are a practical daily should you choose and generally very reliable....all Ferraris are far from that.....my dad's best mate has had loads of them....even he won't drive one across Europe!...and secondly I really don't like the image of the Ferrari owner....the big LOOK AT ME IM RICH and the football players that buy them just make it worse. Pity as they are usually, but not always, great cars. There would however be space for an F40 in my Lottery garage!....proper racer on the road.
I daily mine, its a four seater estate car. I average around 800 miles a month and will be driving it to Italy next year.

Porsche have also just knocked Land Rover off the number one spot for most unreliable manufacturer. Which happened to be our experience with two Taycans both sold back to Porsche at 4 months and 6 months old respectively.

They are currently in a crisis with another UK CEO having stepped down only a year after taking on the role. In the UK they are a shambles.

My Ferrari has been far more reliable.

I daily mine,
🤣🤣🤣 Is this the same as using it every day??

Picture the scene….some scaffolders in the cafe talking about their lorries,

Dave “ows the shitty ****ing foreign lorry Pete”?
Pete “Sweet fanks geezer. I daily it”

PS, Ferraris are more than capable of big mileage so well done for using it.

Last edited:
From reading various car forums (fora?) I always thought the whole point of owning a Ferrari was to have one but put not drive it, except to owners club meetings. The owners, granted only those that post on such forums, seem paranoid about resale value and every mile on the clock, if you really believe them, knocks about a grand off it.

I may be exaggerating slightly but the underlying point remains.

From reading various car forums (fora?) I always thought the whole point of owning a Ferrari was to have one but put not drive it, except to owners club meetings. The owners, granted only those that post on such forums, seem paranoid about resale value and every mile on the clock, if you really believe them, knocks about a grand off it.

I may be exaggerating slightly but the underlying point remains.

Yeah, funny old world isn't it. Most people are that way inclined it seems but there are quite a few FF's on the continent with 100K+ kms on them. It's one of the few that get used as they were actually designed to be used as daily drivers.

The downside in the UK is they are very mileage sensitive when it comes to resale. So I've bought mine with the intention to keep it and drive it as long as I enjoy it and it costs what it costs.

The thing is though, the depretiation on one of these will be nowhere near as bad (as a %) as it was on either my SL or Audi S6.

I've gone in with my eyes open and I'm comfortable with it. The problem occurs when people buy these cars and expect to be selling them a year at what they paid having spent next to nothing on them. That's when it all starts going wrong.

Plus they are a lot more reliable now. They aren't the delicate flowers they were from the 80's and older that needed engine out services every 4 years. Especially when you consider the first 7 years of servicing is free and transferable with sale.

Yeah, funny old world isn't it. Most people are that way inclined it seems but there are quite a few FF's on the continent with 100K+ kms on them. It's one of the few that get used as they were actually designed to be used as daily drivers.

The downside in the UK is they are very mileage sensitive when it comes to resale. So I've bought mine with the intention to keep it and drive it as long as I enjoy it and it costs what it costs.

The thing is though, the depretiation on one of these will be nowhere near as bad (as a %) as it was on either my SL or Audi S6.

I've gone in with my eyes open and I'm comfortable with it. The problem occurs when people buy these cars and expect to be selling them a year at what they paid having spent next to nothing on them. That's when it all starts going wrong.

Plus they are a lot more reliable now. They aren't the delicate flowers they were from the 80's and older that needed engine out services every 4 years. Especially when you consider the first 7 years of servicing is free and transferable with sale.
I think if you live in the UK and have a nice sports car of any sort you have to drive into Europe and put some mileage on experiencing the roads and lack of traffic. Even in my little Alfa I fInd it quite frustrating in the UK most of the time. But in the Alps, Dolomites or even the more rural areas in Italy, France, Germany etc it’s a different experience altogether I find. It must be even more marked in a Ferrari etc. I used to be conscious about mileage on the Alfa but I’ve realised there’s no point having it if I don’t use it, and to enjoy it properly I need to head across the channel. I think if I couldn’t afford to put mileage on a Ferrari I’d buy something else!

I think if you live in the UK and have a nice sports car of any sort you have to drive into Europe and put some mileage on experiencing the roads and lack of traffic. Even in my little Alfa I fInd it quite frustrating in the UK most of the time. But in the Alps, Dolomites or even the more rural areas in Italy, France, Germany etc it’s a different experience altogether I find. It must be even more marked in a Ferrari etc. I used to be conscious about mileage on the Alfa but I’ve realised there’s no point having it if I don’t use it, and to enjoy it properly I need to head across the channel. I think if I couldn’t afford to put mileage on a Ferrari I’d buy something else!
Definitely agree even though its a long way just to the ferries or tunnel in the first place for me.

I imagine that owning a Ferrari in UAE is a different experience to here. I'd feel very self conscious in this country, even if I could afford such a thing!

Porsche manages to somehow feel less ostentatious and go under the radar a bit more. I'd definitely own one here, if I could!

I imagine that owning a Ferrari in UAE is a different experience to here. I'd feel very self conscious in this country, even if I could afford such a thing!

Porsche manages to somehow feel less ostentatious and go under the radar a bit more. I'd definitely own one here, if I could!
You could be right. Expensive performance cars are an everyday sight and nobody bats an eyelid at Ferrari and Lambos and the like.

The UK seems to have a nasty hate culture where someone with a nice expensive or rare car lives in fear of parking it and returning to find it damaged. Too many scrotes about with severe jealousy.
My situation wouldn't see me own either brand, but for just the driving experience, head to head the Ferrari is way ahead IMHO.

Quite honestly most people look at mine and have no idea what it is. I have absolutely no doubt if it were a red mid engined two seater I'd get a very different reaction.

People that know, know, everyone else doesn't care. That's perfect from where I sit.

Plus, I couldn't have done this tonight in a red mid engined two seater on the wrong tyres.

Norfolk to Kent.....more than one brown trouser moment on the M11.

20221211_211925.jpg

20221211_212203.jpg

You're right, yours is a) silver and b) an FF so very understated/tasteful. Easy to fly under the radar. Congrats, beautiful car!

Excellent choice of second car, too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom