first post looking for Olly

Discussion in 'Engine' started by vipclk320, Oct 29, 2011.

1. vipclk320

vipclk320 New Member

Car:
    clk
    Hello everyone, I just became a member and wanted to say hello to everyone. Ive been a memeber on mbworld.org for years and just joined here as it seems that all the inovatice ideas and engine swaps happen here. I am currently in the process of swapping my 1999 CLK 320 with a 55 motor and trans and had some questions regarding the body harness compatibility and i was told Mr. Olly is the man with the knowledge. :thumb:

2. carat 3.6

carat 3.6 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    96 e300d, 88 w124 superturbodiesel, 90 bmw E30 v8, + "others"
    Welcome to the forum.:thumb: Olly is certainly the man to speak to, He's built a few c55's so should be able to help.

3. MicB

MicB MB Enthusiast

Car:
    MB SL500 (R230) 2003, MB SLK320 (R170) 2001, Volvo V70 XC AWD 2001
    Hello and welcome

Mic

4. BlackC55

BlackC55 Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    E55K SL500 E300Hybrid E250X3 Viano C55 E450Cab A180 Smart 44 Brabus
    Hello.

How can I help.

5. reflexboy

reflexboy MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E350 CDi Sport&SLK250CDi AMG Sport
    Put the Kettle on!

4 people like this.
  6. Pauljay

Pauljay Active Member

Car:
    2000 CLK 430/55
    Hi Ash!

Welcome to the UK! :rock:
    You can get some good info over here too.

I'm mainly Stateside though!

7. DRBC43AMG

DRBC43AMG MB Enthusiast

Switzerland, Sion (VS), the canton of mountains, w
    Car:
    99' C43 AMG "T Rex", 00' Renault Twingo1, Ultima Sports Can-Am
    ....and stock a reserve of biscuits :D

8. trapperjohn

trapperjohn MB Enthusiast

Car:
    124 300D 24V Estate
    Welcome aboard.

9. d w124

d w124 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    w124 3.6AMG styling E320 S124 Lorinser styling
    Hi and welcome to the forum

10. Airbag

Airbag New Member

Car:
    E200K Wagon
    I'm off to drop into Horndean on Monday, aboard an E200 W210 Wagon with an 'interesting' engine whine. I'll bring biscuits.

sue

11. martyz

martyz MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ClK240 209,190E 201.
    Hi, and Welcome:thumb:

12. OP
    OP
    vipclk320

vipclk320 New Member

Car:
    clk
    Thank you for all the welcomes, I love the UK fourms everyone is very friendly as oppose to the state side fourms or as i like to call angry bird fourms, lol.

Pauljay, how are you brother, glad to see you here man, there are deffinatly more aggressive tunning going on here than the other fourms which is my style.

Black c55, thank you very much for responding, i'll give you a quick run down of my situation, before hand i like to thank you for taking the time to read this in advanced.

I have a 1999 CLK w208 320, mine is the year before it came with tiptronics shifter, I am looking to do a motor swap to the 55 N/A (w210,w208), how ever I like to have the newer shifter with tip tronics because i have retro fitted a w204 c63 steering wheel and i will be using the paddle shifts and also i like the response of the tiptronics. so my question is do i need to relace the complete body harness or just the shifter harness?

this is what i found so far, every part of the harness is the same because i have taken may parts from the newer w208 and put on mine including the gauge cluster which is very digfferent than my ooriginal, the newer one doesn't have the clock adjustment and it also has the gear display, everything works perfect and it plugged right in to my existing harness. i looked at the current wires for the shifter(mechanical) and it has one cable and two harnesses, but the newer shifters have one harness which a stash wires goes toward the fire wall and one goes under the carpet and finds its way behinde the gauge cluster inside one of the canbuses that plugs into the cluster which i'm assuming is for the gear display. I also checked the wiring that comes from the inside of the car(behinde the dash) into the ECU box and plugs into the ecu and it has a different canbus than the 55 ecu. but i'm not sure if those wires go directly to the cluster and if i only need to change those or if they go to the sam unit? i know the engine has a different harness which i already purchased along with the 55ECU and ignition out of the same car, the differential, the drive shaft(4 bolt drive shaft) and the trans control unit. the wires that come out of the ecu and go to the back of the wire wall are the ones that have me puzzled, because i'm not sure where they plug into behinde the dash and if i can just replace those or if i have to replace the whole body harness which i really dont waant to do. also if you can confirm my idea of the shifter wiring and how it works, i'm assuming that all i have to change is the shifter and the wiring and plug it into the new trans and tcu, is that correct?

sorry for writing a book but i tried to explain my uestions as best as i could, oncce again thank you very much for taking the time and sharing your experties. and thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

13. CKLclive

CKLclive Banned

Car:
    CLK 430
    Hi and welcome, very interesting conversion was thinking of doing the same to mine sometime

14. BlackC55

Car:
    Just one quick question.

Do you have acess to a Star?

15. OP
    OP
    vipclk320

vipclk320 New Member

Car:
    clk
    I dont but my mechanic that is doing the swap does. he is doing the swap but he is used to doing straight swaps that you just replace the complete setup including the body harness, but i really dont want to replace my body harness. There are two canbuses that go from the ecu to the inside of the car and behinde the dash but i have no idea where they plug into inside.

16. BlackC55

Car:
    I really think you are going to struggle with this conversion. Because of wiring issues such as CAN. All the control units transmit via CAN. I need to have a think about it....!

17. OP
    OP
    vipclk320

vipclk320 New Member

Car:
    clk
    do you by any chance know the two canbused cables that come out of the ecu and go through the fire wall and inside the car, what do they plug into?

also for the newer shifter conversion with tiptronics, what is the wiring order, is it shifter to trans to the TCU or is it shifter to TCU and then to trans/ or is there another component that is also involved?

Tags: