Fitting dashcam...what and where?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Then again , people used to say the same about TomToms ; now nobody gives them a passing glance ; many of our works vehicles have them permanently stuck to the screen .

I think that was when they were newer and more expensive than they are now?

My cameras were £289 had I paid the full retail but hopefully the price of dash cams will drop similarly and will not be worth the effort for the scrotes.

I think that was when they were newer and more expensive than they are now?

My cameras were £289 had I paid the full retail but hopefully the price of dash cams will drop similarly and will not be worth the effort for the scrotes.
Sat nav units still span a similar price range - a quick look at halfords website showed TomToms starting at £80 and ranging to £300 ; dash cams similarly can be bought out of the supermarket or petrol station for circa £20 , or if you wish you can spend as much as you like , easily into the hundreds .

I'd imagine that most dash cams out there are probably at the cheaper end of the range , but there may well be thieves who look out for the more upmarket ones and are good at spotting them , just as car salesmen of old used to be good at spotting expensive watches in order to identify a good prospect for a sale !

For the record I’ve got a Nextbase 512 in the CLS and my original 312 in the SL, both are hard wired by myself and have the quick release magnetic mount.
I was involved in a side impact accident with my Jaguar XF then fitted with the 312. The police at the scene charged the other driver after viewing the tiny screen, the other party also admitted full blame but without that dash cam it was going to be “knock for knock”

Reactions: 219
Hi guys,

After researching this for months and looking at endless YouTube videos I purchased the black view DR900S-2CH with rear dash cam Plus Halfords fitting. Dash cam cost £400 plus £50 fitting. This also reduced my car insurance by £200 which in its self was a bonus. The reason I had gone for this particular dash cam is a lot of insurance claims have been thrown out due to the dash cam not being able to pick up the number plate but with this particular one the number plate is clear as day Light even at night. Hope this helps!

BlackVue DR900S-2CH with Rear Dash Cam and 16GB microSD Card

Reactions: 219
Personally I wouldn't go for a Nextbase as they all have internal batteries, that all seem to fail between 12-24mnths old.

The BlackVue is an excellent camera, the ThinkWare (latest one or the 770pro) are a slightly cheaper good alternative with a similar footprint and specs.

I have a Viofo A129 duo which has a similar footprint to the Aukley camera mentioned above. The Viofo is front and rear and runs off power from the front camera. It saves both front and rear files to a single memory card, has a view screen, parking mode, GPS, time lapse and internal capacitor rather than a battery. Records in 1080P @30fps, records number plates easily and has a Bluetooth button to record files, which you can place close to hand instead of stretching around for it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

1080P has been around for donkeys , I wouldn't settle for anything less than 1440P .

2019-12-31 08.35.58.png

Hi guys,

After researching this for months and looking at endless YouTube videos I purchased the black view DR900S-2CH with rear dash cam Plus Halfords fitting. Dash cam cost £400 plus £50 fitting. This also reduced my car insurance by £200 which in its self was a bonus. The reason I had gone for this particular dash cam is a lot of insurance claims have been thrown out due to the dash cam not being able to pick up the number plate but with this particular one the number plate is clear as day Light even at night. Hope this helps!

BlackVue DR900S-2CH with Rear Dash Cam and 16GB microSD Card

Any chance of you posting a photo please. I’d like to see whether it’s obstrusive or not, thank

Just fitted a nextbase 212, pretty basic but does everything I want and doesn't do what I don't want (record speeds etc). Fitted it behind the rear view mirror passenger side, cable along top trim and down passenger A pillar, under glove box and tapped into the wires feeding the footwell 12V socket. Comes on with ignition, goes off when the car is locked and very unobtrusive and the 12V socket is still there to be used if need be.

Sorry to revive an old thread.

Where is the best place to get a dash cam fitted in the South?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super simple DIY .

A piggy back fuse , a ground and female socket .

2020-01-19 18.16.50.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom