Flakey Paintwork

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Claire i have exactly the same issues....who did you contact to get the ball rolling x
Hey there, I went straight to the Mercedes dealership, as long as your car is under 8 years old it’s a warranty issue, they test the paint to make sure no one has inter feared with it then pass it to the warranty people, I’m finding out this takes a while!! I’m still waiting on them getting back to me! X

As I’m new to the forum I am unable to send out a personal message, I am looking to devolve from your experiences as our new car is show signs of flaking lacquer, it took us a long time to save to buy this car and our parade is truly rained upon, are you able PM me so I can learn your process as yours was an older car or perhaps you are new too without 30 posts under your belt?
Thanks in advance.
Hey there, I’m also very new hun, it’s devastating!! And you having a new car makes it worse!! Go straight to your dealer hun they’ll sort it out.... it’s a well known warranty issue. ESP with yours being a new car!!! Mine is 7 so just wishing the 8 year threshold thankfully!! Xx

Thanks Claire,
I favour I will need to go the MB dealership, I appreciate your response...our SLK is actually 6 years old in Sept.

It does seems as though some dealerships are more receptive to engage than others around this issue..

We are fist jumping through a hoop with the retailer as it wasn't bought from MB direct.. I would imagine those not affected by this issue might be getting bored of reading this damning news all the time :-(

Claire i have exactly the same issues....who did you contact to get the ball rolling x
Thanks Claire,
I favour I will need to go the MB dealership, I appreciate your response...our SLK is actually 6 years old in Sept.

It does seems as though some dealerships are more receptive to engage than others around this issue..

We are fist jumping through a hoop with the retailer as it wasn't bought from MB direct.. I would imagine those not affected by this issue might be getting bored of reading this damning news all the time :-(
hey..... I never bought mine from Mercedes either....... if I were you I’d go to a different dealer to see if they are nicer to deal with! At the end of the day they know about this worldwide issue with FOR paint on certain aged vehicles so find someone you’d like to deal with and go for it!!! As long as no one has ever touched up or respirated anywhere on your car you should be ok. Xx

Thanks for your support Claire, I am fortunate to have the telephone number of the previous owner now so I shall give them a call to see if they have any inside knowledge that we may benefit from should we get the fob off.. I am amazed that no one has consider a UK type Class Action?

I can’t imagine a dealership wouldn’t talk you through these issues tbh my guy immediately told me the issue when I mentioned the colour, he told me it would be a respray before he even saw it, then went and looked and took pics...... he then took me behind the scenes into his Bodyshop workshop to show me me exact model of car in bits getting the paint stripped in preparation or it’s new paint job. Xx

I can’t imagine a dealership wouldn’t talk you through these issues tbh my guy immediately told me the issue when I mentioned the colour, he told me it would be a respray before he even saw it, then went and looked and took pics...... he then took me behind the scenes into his Bodyshop workshop to show me me exact model of car in bits getting the paint stripped in preparation or it’s new paint job. Xx

That’s most positive stuff Claire, sometimes folk are apprehensive around asking the question for fear of the answer, given some of the subscribers experiences in here..

I have contacted the retailer so will see the response from them before going into the local dealership - perhaps I should breeze past the one in the highlands :)))

Your responses are very much appreciated..

Hey, I should probably tell you that if the whole car is in need of a re spray, they will not do the bumpers or wing mirror covers as they are plastic!!! But for £360 of my own money they will do those bits too, so effectively getting the whole car done!!
Goodluck, let us know how it goes!!
I’m still waiting on mb warranty team getting back to my dealer on the matter, it takes time!!! Xx

Hey, I should probably tell you that if the whole car is in need of a re spray, they will not do the bumpers or wing mirror covers as they are plastic!!! But for £360 of my own money they will do those bits too, so effectively getting the whole car done!!
I’m still waiting on mb warranty team getting back to my dealer on the matter, it takes time!!! Xx
Claire, again thank you, I had read else where that it’s the metal body work that gets the paintwork re-visited..

I will share the experience as you suggest as I would like others to benefit from our outcome... whichever way it goes...

Having just paid out a 5 figure some for a second hand car £360 would be a small price to pay for peace of mind..

Have they indicated a timescale for your case, it seems pretty cast iron if they discussed a price for the plastics.. and have they initiated how long you could expect the new paint job to last - just thinking out loud?

Best Wishes..

At this rate if posting Ill soon be over my 30 post threshold so you’ve helped with out realising on that front too..

Hello folks, I thought I’d post a wee update!!

So things are not working out as easily as I first thought!! I’ve taken my car into the Merc Bodyshop on 3 different occasions now for them to take pictures!!! Seemingly Mercedes can’t see all the blemishes the way the expert in the garage can see them with his naked eye, my car is getting much worse so on Thursday 26.03.21 I was suppose yo get more pics done.

However now with this covid 19 on the go they have just understandably closed their doors, and have said they’ll call me back in April sometime.

Why did they not trust their expert who can clearly see my paintwork is shot to hec!?

rant over! Thanks for reading,

Claire xx

Hi Claire,

Thank you for taking the time to post an update... how frustrating - I am on trying a subtly different route at the moment in that I had only only our car for a couple of weeks so attempting to reject the sale on the advise of a legal begal advice line...

I am having not dissimilar issues around the photos side...

Almost naked to the human eye in some areas so no chance of picking it up with my photographic skills...

I seem to have to convince the solicitors if the issue before they will take it up with the retailer...

I’m reluctant to drive mine as the adviser suggested that if they did accept the sale rejection that they may try and negotiate if I had put any miles on it...

Sorry it’s a bit rushed.. I’ll amend my post later - hang on in there, perseverance will prevail I am sure!

I will feed back when I have something positive...

Hi Claire,

Thank you for taking the time to post an update... how frustrating - I am on trying a subtly different route at the moment in that I had only only our car for a couple of weeks so attempting to reject the sale on the advise of a legal begal advice line...

I am having not dissimilar issues around the photos side...

Almost naked to the human eye in some areas so no chance of picking it up with my photographic skills...

I seem to have to convince the solicitors if the issue before they will take it up with the retailer...

I’m reluctant to drive mine as the adviser suggested that if they did accept the sale rejection that they may try and negotiate if I had put any miles on it...

Sorry it’s a bit rushed.. I’ll amend my post later - hang on in there, perseverance will prevail I am sure!

I will feed back when I have something positive...

Hang in in there, patience I’m hoping is the key!! Take care and goodluck xx

Similar issue with my car, but it has already had a full respray in 2016. Im wondering if this will become an ongoing issue

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    870.8 KB · Views: 9
Not what you would have hoped for...

When was it Resprayed...Sorry to hear about your grief, what’s your next step?

I'll lay odds they'll say that was caused by a stone chip so not their problem, despite the fact it's almost certainly due to incorrect preparation before respray! Look for my thread about the lacquer peeling issue I had with my 2008 S204 and the document from a long established and respected German paint company, for chapter and verse.

Mercedes-Benz and their paint warranty eh? LINK.

No wonder I drive Audi's and a Range Rover these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom