Flat battery and multiple warnings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kerabo

Car
2006 C220 Estate
2006 C220 CDI Sport
Last weekend my battery was dead flat. During the night before the lights and indicators were flashing so I was thinking an alarm problem. Its possible I locked the car with a door not fully closed ?
So the next day I had to jump start it. From that point on the troubles started.
Stop Lamps on all of the time.
EPS
ABS
Engine orange light on.
And a very strange thing is when I turn it completely off or remove the key the cooling fan runs.

I Went through every circuit with my tester and most codes were under voltage warnings.
The EPS fault would come and go. But as the week went on most cleared themselves apart from the engine. My Icar Soft tester would not communicate with the engine but using a different tester I could clear the engine and all faults are now clear.

This can’t happen with just a flat battery or can it ?

What circuit can connect all of these faults?

Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks

Well I would pull the plug on the fan,charge the battery and remove the fault codes and see what happens,you could also test the battery for a drain you would need a multi meter for that,or if you do not feel like doing that get a mobile electrician round.

Sound like you need a new battery to me. Check the voltage, I bet it's goosed.

Well I would pull the plug on the fan,charge the battery and remove the fault codes and see what happens,you could also test the battery for a drain you would need a multi meter for that,or if you do not feel like doing that get a mobile electrician round.
Thanks for the reply.

The fan problem has now stopped along with everything else.

I will get the battery tested but it’s always started even in cold mornings.

I did leave it overnight with the battery disconnected but nothing changed.

I can’t think why things have slowly sorted themselves out.

what System or ECU would connect all of these faults ? ABS ESP ?

I just don’t want to be stuck again.

Thanks Ken

Last edited:
Try a new battery as suggested, lots of warnings show when battery is bad

I can’t think why things have slowly sorted themselves out.
Ken, sorry to hear of your problems. There are different types of warning and fault codes. Live issues will continue to show warnings and fault codes for as long as the fault condition is detected.

However stored issues - for example a glitch which resolves with a restart - show warnings for a short time after the fault condition has passed. Usually they disappear after starting the engine 5 times.

If the battery has been charged up - even if only by driving it - and the voltage is no longer critical, then after 5 starts any non-persistent warnings will stop. There may still be stored fault codes though.

Also you mention that the car has been starting fine. Cars do start with a low-ish voltage, but refuse to start when the voltage becomes critically low, and that might be what’s happened to your car.

If you can charge it then you may be able to bring the battery back to life. Some modern battery chargers allow the battery to stay on the car, the CTEK MXS 5.0 is a favourite amongst MBClubbers.

I would check if charging or replacing the battery resolves the issue, but it’s possible that jumpstarting may damage some modules. The reversing camera module has been fried on my car twice like this.

Last edited:
Ken, sorry to hear of your problems. There are different types of warning and fault codes. Live issues will continue to show warnings and fault codes for as long as the fault condition is detected.

However stored issues - for example a glitch which resolves with a restart - show warnings for a short time after the fault condition has passed. Usually they disappear after starting the engine 5 times.

If the battery has been charged up - even if only by driving it - and the voltage is no longer critical, then after 5 starts any non-persistent warnings will stop. There may still be stored fault codes though.

Also you mention that the car has been starting fine. Cars do start with a low-ish voltage, but refuse to start when the voltage becomes critically low, and that might be what’s happened to your car.

If you can charge it then you may be able to bring the battery back to life. Some modern battery chargers allow the battery to stay on the car, the CTEK MXS 5.0 is a favourite amongst MBClubbers.

I would check if charging or replacing the battery resolves the issue, but it’s possible that jumpstarting may damage some modules. The reversing camera module has been dried on my car twice like this.
Thank you for the detailed reply.
the 5 starts you talk of makes sense and fits in with things.
Thanks Ken

Well every fault has cleared one By one on its own.

Can anyone explain this ECU reset themselves thing so I have a better understanding.

I guess the battery has to be flat for some time as I have changed batteries without problems?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom