Footbrake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jeffreyli86

Car
94' W124 E220, 96' VW Golf VR6
I was just wondering whether I should put the car in Neutral when I apply the footbrake (e.g. in a long wait for the traffic lights)... At the moment, I just leave it in Drive if I know the lights will change soon but I still apply my footbrake and let off the actual brakes so my right foot can rest a little... Not necessary but... yeh I don't know why I do it...

Anyway, would it harm the engine or the gearbox or anything if I don't put the car into Neutral when I apply the footbrake?

Thanks..
Jeff

no harm

just as you say give your foot a rest ......or if you have used long and hard breaking then maybe just maybe once stoped apply p/brake if on hill or just leave in park to take the hot pads off the disc.......

i leave mine in drive all the time unless its a long wait

There's a comment in this week's Honest John agony column in the Daily Telegraph's motoring section. Basically it suggests that in heavy traffic there's less mechanical wear and tear involved if you snick the box into neutral while held up in heavy traffic. Saves dazzling the car behind with your brake lights, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom