For those that like TomTom go

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ted

MB Enthusiast
Car
Lexus RC300h F-Sport, Yamaha XVS 1100, Toyota C-HR GR sport
and I know it isn’t everyone’s favourite, but I found it really good on a 1200 mile round trip recently.

It is now supported on carplay which should be a useful improvement.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7YeDMv3XDoMRtmpT9

Yep I've used it for a year on Android 6 for £14.99, mainly for the live traffic. That wasn't always accurate and could possibly be due to slow updating.

Now I've upgraded to an Adroid 9 HU the 3D map is seriously lacking in detail, to the extent that the app is near unusable as I can't see the detail of other roads prior to any junction so can't gauge when a turn is approaching, so I let my subscription expire.

I found the same on Android 8.

My searching suggests that this is an Android issue and others are waiting for resolution.
This is somewhat supported when I downloaded Co Pilot to test and it lacks too, the 3D map stays on night view also.
In the past I've really appreciated IGO but latest Gen app isn't as good as previous versions.
For now I'm using Google maps, a small advantage is the option to accept my voice instructions to find a destination, but doesn't half ***** about before turning that into an active navigation.

I'll be back to Tomtom Go when the issue is sorted,
Tomtom My Drive can be handy for setting up routes on my PC for the following day as it synchronises when the HU is back online.

Waze is supreme :D

Mebees I'll try it again.
Didn't it come with adverts?

I purchased the TomTom App when it first came out , back in the days of the iPhone 3G , and have since upgraded through each iPhone to my current iPhone 7 .

Although each old iPhone has been wiped clean , and set up as a new iPhonne before being passed on to family members, because the app was downloaded to my computer as one of my purchased apps , I’ve always been able to install it back onto my old phones as well as onto my new ones .
Hence , for a single purchase of TomTom , I currently have it installed on half a dozen devices , same for numerous other purchased apps .

I also have NAVIGON, and the Google Maps app , but I find TomTom best out of all .

No, it doesn’t

I've downloaded, I've not seen adverts yet but during the instal it asks if I would like adverts to be personalised.
It's certainly a simple instal and fast download.

Waze will show adverts if using on your phone only, but there are definitely no adverts when using Waze on CarPlay. I’m not sure how the paid navigation options will survive longer term. Waze is great with the real time reporting of things like potholes and google maps is great on CarPlay with the satellite view (Although sometimes a little distracting as you wonder what that is behind a hedge, building etc!). Google seem committed to updating both at present so new features are still appearing on both of them.

I've downloaded, I've not seen adverts yet but during the instal it asks if I would like adverts to be personalised.
It's certainly a simple instal and fast download.

It does pop up adverts on your phone when you are stationary. A bit rude but bearable.

Yep, small bubble ad when stationary and there is a local business (usually car dealerships) in the near area who have paid to advertise. Disappears as soon as you start moving.

Not used it with Carplay or Android Auto as my HU is native Android so just use it direct.

Much prefer Waze to Tomtom Go.

In the car (9" HU) Waze asked if I would like comparrison fuel prices en route. Later is specifically wanted me to use Shell.
Not intrusive, so far not annoying. But the ads are there.
Waze is simple compared to Tomtom, and I do like the route bar that gives the option to interrogate delays ahead and possibly re route myself if I see M1 issues for example. There is often a reasonable alternative to the road.
It's free and effective but lacking in the en route early warnings that Tomtom provides.

Reactions: Ted
I'm still in the Stone Age. If I'm in a car that doesn't have COMAND, I have an old TomTom stand-alone that sticks to the screen. It works fine...

Mind you, if I made time-critical journeys or drove for a living, I'd have something more advanced.

I use TomTom GO on Android 7 and it's fine. However, last upgrade I run on it, screw TT and I had to reinstall it couple of times before it started working. Since then it lost some touch sensitivity. I didn't install any new Android updates since then, to make sure TomTom stays working. I use this for for navigation only, so I don't care about bells and whistles.

It's free and effective but lacking in the en route early warnings that Tomtom provides.

Not sure on that. Mine often pops up the current route is x minutes slower than an alternative as I am driving. That alternative could be 100 miles away and is constantly monitored and routed for.

I use TomTom GO on Android 7 and it's fine. However, last upgrade I run on it, screw TT and I had to reinstall it couple of times before it started working. Since then it lost some touch sensitivity. I didn't install any new Android updates since then, to make sure TomTom stays working. I use this for for navigation only, so I don't care about bells and whistles.

So you are now compromising the security of the data on your phone for one app where there are other free alternatives? I'd update Android Asap to get that secure and then change TT if it no longer works as it should.

What data on my phone? I don't even have any contacts on it. My data are compromised every day at every page I had to register any by every company that keeps that data.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom