For those that like TomTom go

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ted, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Ted

Ted MB Club Veteran

Car:
    SLC 250D AMG Line, Yamaha XVS 1100, Jeep Renegade
    and I know it isn’t everyone’s favourite, but I found it really good on a 1200 mile round trip recently.

It is now supported on carplay which should be a useful improvement.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7YeDMv3XDoMRtmpT9

2. m80

m80 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Viano 3.0 Ex Long 2009 Auto
    Yep I've used it for a year on Android 6 for £14.99, mainly for the live traffic. That wasn't always accurate and could possibly be due to slow updating.

Now I've upgraded to an Adroid 9 HU the 3D map is seriously lacking in detail, to the extent that the app is near unusable as I can't see the detail of other roads prior to any junction so can't gauge when a turn is approaching, so I let my subscription expire.

I found the same on Android 8.

My searching suggests that this is an Android issue and others are waiting for resolution.
    This is somewhat supported when I downloaded Co Pilot to test and it lacks too, the 3D map stays on night view also.
    In the past I've really appreciated IGO but latest Gen app isn't as good as previous versions.
    For now I'm using Google maps, a small advantage is the option to accept my voice instructions to find a destination, but doesn't half ***** about before turning that into an active navigation.

I'll be back to Tomtom Go when the issue is sorted,
    Tomtom My Drive can be handy for setting up routes on my PC for the following day as it synchronises when the HU is back online.

3. clk320x

clk320x MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W211 E320 CDI - W212 E250 CDI
    Waze is supreme :D

moonloops likes this.
  4. moonloops

moonloops MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C350 CDI AMG Sport
    Can't beat the real time alerting on traffic jams, pothole and police/camera locations :D

clk320x likes this.
  5. m80

Car:
    Mebees I'll try it again.
    Didn't it come with adverts?

6. Pontoneer

Pontoneer MB Club Veteran

Car:
    '93 190E 2.3LE W201 ; '93 300SL-24 R129
    I purchased the TomTom App when it first came out , back in the days of the iPhone 3G , and have since upgraded through each iPhone to my current iPhone 7 .

Although each old iPhone has been wiped clean , and set up as a new iPhonne before being passed on to family members, because the app was downloaded to my computer as one of my purchased apps , I’ve always been able to install it back onto my old phones as well as onto my new ones .
    Hence , for a single purchase of TomTom , I currently have it installed on half a dozen devices , same for numerous other purchased apps .

I also have NAVIGON, and the Google Maps app , but I find TomTom best out of all .

7. OP
    OP
    Ted

Ted MB Club Veteran

Car:
    SLC 250D AMG Line, Yamaha XVS 1100, Jeep Renegade
    No, it doesn’t

8. m80

Car:
    I've downloaded, I've not seen adverts yet but during the instal it asks if I would like adverts to be personalised.
    It's certainly a simple instal and fast download.

9. spiderrob

spiderrob New Member

Car:
    CLS 350d
    Waze will show adverts if using on your phone only, but there are definitely no adverts when using Waze on CarPlay. I’m not sure how the paid navigation options will survive longer term. Waze is great with the real time reporting of things like potholes and google maps is great on CarPlay with the satellite view (Although sometimes a little distracting as you wonder what that is behind a hedge, building etc!). Google seem committed to updating both at present so new features are still appearing on both of them.

10. moonloops

moonloops MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C350 CDI AMG Sport
    It does pop up adverts on your phone when you are stationary. A bit rude but bearable.

11. 400ixl

400ixl Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E250 AMG Sport Convertible
    Yep, small bubble ad when stationary and there is a local business (usually car dealerships) in the near area who have paid to advertise. Disappears as soon as you start moving.

Not used it with Carplay or Android Auto as my HU is native Android so just use it direct.

Much prefer Waze to Tomtom Go.

12. m80

Car:
    In the car (9" HU) Waze asked if I would like comparrison fuel prices en route. Later is specifically wanted me to use Shell.
    Not intrusive, so far not annoying. But the ads are there.
    Waze is simple compared to Tomtom, and I do like the route bar that gives the option to interrogate delays ahead and possibly re route myself if I see M1 issues for example. There is often a reasonable alternative to the road.
    It's free and effective but lacking in the en route early warnings that Tomtom provides.

Ted likes this.
  13. E55BOF

E55BOF MB Club Veteran

Car:
    S212 E63, R230 SL500, R171 SLK55, FJR1300, Caponord
    I'm still in the Stone Age. If I'm in a car that doesn't have COMAND, I have an old TomTom stand-alone that sticks to the screen. It works fine...

Mind you, if I made time-critical journeys or drove for a living, I'd have something more advanced.

14. PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Was SLK55 2014, Audi A8
    I use TomTom GO on Android 7 and it's fine. However, last upgrade I run on it, screw TT and I had to reinstall it couple of times before it started working. Since then it lost some touch sensitivity. I didn't install any new Android updates since then, to make sure TomTom stays working. I use this for for navigation only, so I don't care about bells and whistles.

15. 400ixl

Car:
    Not sure on that. Mine often pops up the current route is x minutes slower than an alternative as I am driving. That alternative could be 100 miles away and is constantly monitored and routed for.

16. 400ixl

Car:
    So you are now compromising the security of the data on your phone for one app where there are other free alternatives? I'd update Android Asap to get that secure and then change TT if it no longer works as it should.

17. PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Was SLK55 2014, Audi A8
    What data on my phone? I don't even have any contacts on it. My data are compromised every day at every page I had to register any by every company that keeps that data.