Forgive me, MBClub Collective......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Adequately impressed with that for a 2 litre petrolšŸ‘

View attachment 145328
That donā€™t impress me much.

I coulda told you about 44 mpg, and more power than you need, a long time ago.

Whatā€™s impressive is how well it drives, and how it encourages you to press the loud pedal.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That donā€™t impress me much.

I coulda told you about 44 mpg, and more power than you need, a long time ago.

Whatā€™s impressive is how well it drives, and how it encourages you to press the loud pedal.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I've got to say I'm impressed. OK, it is missing the 'essential' 2 cylinders, but 250 hp is more than enough for me these days. The ZF8 autobox is fantastically smooth in comfort mode and if you really want to wake up the neddies all it takes is to flick the selector across into Sport.
I'm still cogitating (or as Mrs S says, "cogger-tating" ) over what to do wheel & tyre wise. Just prior to me owning it, it was fitted with a brand spanking new set of 19" staggered runflats (star marked and everything) which I'm sure made a considerable dent in the previous owners wallet.
Unfortunately they are Flintstone Bridgestone Potenza S001s, which are noisy and harsh on anything but a billiard table smooth surface.
Those that know suggest Goodyears are the way to go for runflats. 'Goflats' would be my choice, but with nowhere for a spare and a loathing and mistrust of a can of gloop, I'm not convinced that's the most practical of options.
An 18" square set up with 225/45 Goodyear runflats may be the way to go.

I've got to say I'm impressed. OK, it is missing the 'essential' 2 cylinders, but 250 hp is more than enough for me these days. The ZF8 autobox is fantastically smooth in comfort mode and if you really want to wake up the neddies all it takes is to flick the selector across into Sport.
I'm still cogitating (or as Mrs S says, "cogger-tating" ) over what to do wheel & tyre wise. Just prior to me owning it, it was fitted with a brand spanking new set of 19" staggered runflats (star marked and everything) which I'm sure made a considerable dent in the previous owners wallet.
Unfortunately they are Flintstone Bridgestone Potenza S001s, which are noisy and harsh on anything but a billiard table smooth surface.
Those that know suggest Goodyears are the way to go for runflats. 'Goflats' would be my choice, but with nowhere for a spare and a loathing and mistrust of a can of gloop, I'm not convinced that's the most practical of options.
An 18" square set up with 225/45 Goodyear runflats may be the way to go.
You should consider non-run-flats as well, depending on where you drive

I've had three E91 straight sixes but two F31 fours, so I've been around this issue several times. 18's will be better, and 17's even better, but there's that vanity thing that makes people buy wheels that aren't fit for purpose. How often do you get a flat, and where do you get them? (My last one was in 14 years / 200k miles ago - on an RFT, fortunately)

So what was my conclusion? I just stuck with what was on there, regardless. Even though I tour in Europe a couple of times a year, a long way from home.

The good news: you'll easily sell those 19's. The other good news: you'll easily find excellent 18's around, being sold by people who are "upgrading" to the worse, tram lining 19's. And you'll have a few hundred quid in your hands, net.

Well worth test driving a couple of alternatives before you make the change.

Just finally: you don't mention Pilot Sport 4's. They're well regarded for comfort. Have you dismissed them already?

You should consider non-run-flats as well, depending on where you drive

I've had three E91 straight sixes but two F31 fours, so I've been around this issue several times. 18's will be better, and 17's even better, but there's that vanity thing that makes people buy wheels that aren't fit for purpose. How often do you get a flat, and where do you get them? (My last one was in 14 years / 200k miles ago - on an RFT, fortunately)

So what was my conclusion? I just stuck with what was on there, regardless. Even though I tour in Europe a couple of times a year, a long way from home.

The good news: you'll easily sell those 19's. The other good news: you'll easily find excellent 18's around, being sold by people who are "upgrading" to the worse, tram lining 19's. And you'll have a few hundred quid in your hands, net.

Well worth test driving a couple of alternatives before you make the change.

Just finally: you don't mention Pilot Sport 4's. They're well regarded for comfort. Have you dismissed them already?
Still in evidence-gathering mode at the minute, so a decision may take a while! On my old E91 I ditched the runflats and carried a spacesaver spare in the boot when I had to go any distance. These days with the amount of company kit I lug around, this isn't an option. As to tyre brands, apart from steering clear of Bridgestone, I'm open minded.
Any replacement downsizing would have to be 18s - 17's won't fit over the MSport 'Blue' Brembos.

Might be wrong, but the same engine as is in my Mini JCW. šŸ¤”

For what it is worth, I had 17"rims and run flats on the X3. Ditched those and bought myself a nice set of MICHELIN Primacy. The noise and ride upgrade was well worth the Ā£600 spent. I kept an unused gloop and inflator kit under the boot floor.
The little i3 does not have run run flats, but the ride is very brittle. I'm convinced enough to have just pulled the trigger on a new set of Michelin e Primacy given my own experience and reports of people who have swapped from Bridgestone to Michelin on an i3. The noise and comfort levels should be much better on a tyre developed some 10 years after the Bridgestone original....and did I mention anything about the added 6% range... ;)

For what it is worth, I had 17"rims and run flats on the X3. Ditched those and bought myself a nice set of MICHELIN Primacy. The noise and ride upgrade was well worth the Ā£600 spent. I kept an unused gloop and inflator kit under the boot floor.
The little i3 does not have run run flats, but the ride is very brittle. I'm convinced enough to have just pulled the trigger on a new set of Michelin e Primacy given my own experience and reports of people who have swapped from Bridgestone to Michelin on an i3. The noise and comfort levels should be much better on a tyre developed some 10 years after the Bridgestone original....and did I mention anything about the added 6% range... ;)
It's interesting mooching about various car fora to note that Flintstones, either 'runflat' or 'goflat' flavours tend not to be the tyre of choice; they last well, but are generally not liked for the stiff sidewalls and noise levels.

ā€¦ā€¦'Goflats' would be my choice, but with nowhere for a spare and a loathing and mistrust of a can of gloopā€¦ā€¦.
I know where youā€™re coming from Mikey. I ummmmā€™ed and ahhhhhā€™ed for a good 3 months about the same thing. The ride on our C Class estate on 19ā€ runflats was horrid. I was reluctant to goto standards because, like yours, no place for a spare.

I sought advice from that Silver Fox Bobby Dazz and I eventually went for it and fitted 4 19ā€ All Season tyres got myself a can of gunk + a Mikita 18v inflator.

The All Season tyres totally transformed the ride.

The first 2-3 months I was VERY aware I had no spare. But the feeling wore off so quickly. Iā€™ve never given it a thought since. Plenty of long journeys to MancLand too. No bother.

When youā€™ve got ya monies worth out of the runflats consider just going for standards. Iā€™m sure youā€™ll not regret it. šŸ‘

I know where youā€™re coming from Mikey. I ummmmā€™ed and ahhhhhā€™ed for a good 3 months about the same thing. The ride on our C Class estate on 19ā€ runflats was horrid. I was reluctant to goto standards because, like yours, no place for a spare.

I sought advice from that Silver Fox Bobby Dazz and I eventually went for it and fitted 4 19ā€ All Season tyres got myself a can of gunk + a Mikita 18v inflator.

The first 2-3 months I was VERY aware I had no spare. But the feeling wore off so quickly. Iā€™ve never given it a thought since. Plenty of long journeys to MancLand too. No bother.

When youā€™ve got ya monies worth out of the runflats consider just going for standards. Iā€™m sure youā€™ll not regret it. šŸ‘
ā¬†ļø Sage words šŸ‘šŸ»

I suspect the 'goflat' route will be the path I follow. The major decision will be whether to drop some cash on downsizing to a set of 18s and go up a profile. Certainly I should have no problem getting back a chunk of change by selling the 19s; as MikeInWimbers says, they seem to be popular on the second hand market.
How did we ever manage without the benefit of the teachings of The Oracle, The Font Of All Knowledge otherwise know as Mr Bobby Dazzler? ;)

I suspect the 'goflat' route will be the path I follow. The major decision will be whether to drop some cash on downsizing to a set of 18s and go up a profile. Certainly I should have no problem getting back a chunk of change by selling the 19s; as MikeInWimbers says, they seem to be popular on the second hand market.
How did we ever manage without the benefit of the teachings of The Oracle, The Font Of All Knowledge otherwise know as Mr Bobby Dazzler? ;)
Heā€™s changed since he started doing the coffee adverts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom