Forum User Ranks - You Decide!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not sure using trim levels is a great idea as some users (including me) won't really have a clue in the most part.

Just my opinion, I hope no one calls me a knob.

Having the label based on the number of posts is a bit pointless as one is above the other in every post made so it's duplication really.

I'd suggest either deleting the feature or allowing members to edit themselves.

Having the label based on the number of posts is a bit pointless as one is above the other in every post made so it's duplication really.

I'd suggest either deleting the feature or allowing members to edit themselves.

I'm with Doc on this one.

Quite seriously of absolutely no interest to me whatsoever. In my case my W114 restoration is my badge and title, post counts matter to me not one jot.

Some forums do this to encourage users' participation. It becomes a 'target' - hitting the next level - and a bit if fun as well.

Some forums do this to encourage users' participation. It becomes a 'target' - hitting the next level - and a bit if fun as well.
I like this idea

180px-Lplate.svg.png

36511981244_e2f60bd36f_o.png
, etc

or (photoshopped up to 250 or whatever):

mURIoEbL2EDMl8tHfLQDR3Q.jpg

Provisional licence 0-29
Just passed 30- 99
Weekend cruiser 100-999
Commuter 1000-4999
[CUSTOM STATUS] 5000+

I have been a member since 2011 but not a busy poster, but this seems a bit elitist to me, a way for the more prolific posters to appear more important maybe, or superior to the casual poster. We should all be seen to be equal irrespective of how many posts we make, this will just enforce the "clique" culture that was rife on PH a couple of years ago, thankfully less so now, a them and us type attitude which makes newbies feel unwelcome.

I think it will drive away the irregular posters leaving all you "hardcore" members to revel in you "clubiness"
and feeling smugly superior. Maybe it's intended as a bit of fun but do we really want to create layers of membership where many will see themselves as being more senior and thus more important, because that's what will happen. Is this what forums like this should be about, and is this the direction you want to drive it in?

Just my 2p worth which I know doesn't amount to much :dk:

I await my flaming :)

PS, I know I am an old fart but with age comes wisdom :p

#33 Could not agree more.

We could make the classifications humorous but negative, as in start with "Normal" and end with something like "Needs Institutional Help" for the higher posters.

Something along the lines of what you may imagine Billy Connolly coming up with...

I have been a member since 2011 but not a busy poster, but this seems a bit elitist to me, a way for the more prolific posters to appear more important maybe, or superior to the casual poster. We should all be seen to be equal irrespective of how many posts we make, this will just enforce the "clique" culture that was rife on PH a couple of years ago, thankfully less so now, a them and us type attitude which makes newbies feel unwelcome.

I think it will drive away the irregular posters leaving all you "hardcore" members to revel in you "clubiness"
and feeling smugly superior. Maybe it's intended as a bit of fun but do we really want to create layers of membership where many will see themselves as being more senior and thus more important, because that's what will happen. Is this what forums like this should be about, and is this the direction you want to drive it in?

Just my 2p worth which I know doesn't amount to much :dk:

I await my flaming :)

PS, I know I am an old fart but with age comes wisdom :p

I think it's all a bit of fun. See your point though.

...do we really want to create layers of membership where many will see themselves as being more senior and thus more important, because that's what will happen....

I understand the concern, but realistically if it did not happen so far i.e. with the user's postcount already displayed on each post, so I don't see why it would happen now i.e. when we add a humorous label next to it.

#33 Could not agree more.

We could make the classifications humorous but negative, as in start with "Normal" and end with something like "Needs Institutional Help" for the higher posters.

Something along the lines of what you may imagine Billy Connolly coming up with...

So what do I get.... The Broadmoor Lifer....?

I can see the concern too but as said before I think it may encourage people to participate and post more rather than just read and leave.

I am a member of a couple of other forums where I visit fairly regularly but have little input. I am at the bottom of the ladder in user status but it doesn't bother me or drive me away.

Perhaps a higher status could gain benefits? For example,

Just passed 30- 99
Weekend cruiser 100-999 >>>Triggers the Authorised supporters benefits (as it does now for most)
Commuter 1000-4999 >>> Triggers access to EPC or something similar?
[CUSTOM STATUS] 5000+ >>>Triggers access to VIP forum for special benefits?

Time served members could also be upgraded at Staff's discretion eg 5 years+ with at least 100 posts = Commuter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom