• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Front brake disc diameter

johncherokee

Car
CLC200k
How can I find out what size my brake discs are on my CLC200, year 2008? I can’t kneel down to get the wheel off to measure it, and I want to buy a pair of new discs.

You dont need to remove the wheel , through the wheel spokes put a straight edge on the top of the disc and one on the bottom of the disc and measure the distance between them.

K

You dont need to remove the wheel , through the wheel spokes put a straight edge on the top of the disc and one on the bottom of the disc and measure the distance between them.

K
Needs less hands if you measure from the outside edge to the hub centre and double it!

Needs less hands if you measure from the outside edge to the hub centre and double it!

Needs no hands if you use small magnets to hold the straight edges onto the disc.

K

How can I find out what size my brake discs are on my CLC200, year 2008? I can’t kneel down to get the wheel off to measure it, and I want to buy a pair of new discs.
Let the person fitting them, measure. No hands needed , nor magnets and straight edges 👍👍

My guess would be 288 mm

Screenshot_20240810-112906.png

Last edited:
Unfortunately I need to buy them to have them fitted, so I will have to find another way, but my guess was also around 288 on the front. Large is better!
Check on any website using your reg number. 👍 most companies cross reference parts against your reg and send the correct parts.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I need to buy them to have them fitted, so I will have to find another way, but my guess was also around 288 on the front. Large is better!
Use the vehicle VIN and ask Mercedes Newcastle (or Edinburgh) to quote.

most companies cross reference parts against your reg and send the correct parts.

But sometimes they get it wrong.

Far better to use an EPC and your VIN number to get the original MB part number. Then go to MB to buy them.

Or, if you wish to buy elsewhere, search for the MB part number at, for example, AutoDoc, and they will come up with various aftermarket alternatives. Then look for known good makes such as ATE, Brembo, Zimmermann, etc.

Here's an EPC:

Good hunting.

RayH

But sometimes they get it wrong.

Far better to use an EPC and your VIN number to get the original MB part number. Then go to MB to buy them.

Or, if you wish to buy elsewhere, search for the MB part number at, for example, AutoDoc, and they will come up with various aftermarket alternatives. Then look for known good makes such as ATE, Brembo, Zimmermann, etc.

Here's an EPC:

Good hunting.

RayH
Autodoc don't get it wrong do they . Pmsl. 🤣🤣

A drive to a local ecp store is better than shipping back to Germany , Shirley?

Last edited:
There were two different size options when I replaced my front discs with not much between them. It's not easy to measure a diameter accurately when there is a hub in the way so another option is to measure the circumference and divide by 3.142. I was confident enough of the measurement to order from Autodoc and they were the correct size.

A drive to a local ecp store is better than shipping back to Germany

I should coco. But I always use the MB number and cross-refer. Whoever the aftermarket supplier.

I've only used ECP once around 2005 and got Bremi ignition distributor cap and arm. Utter rubbish and binned in 6 months. So it's best to select an appropriate aftermarket brand, of which there seem to be less and less for qood quality, sadly.

R

I should coco. But I always use the MB number and cross-refer. Whoever the aftermarket supplier.

I've only used ECP once around 2005 and got Bremi ignition distributor cap and arm. Utter rubbish and binned in 6 months. So it's best to select an appropriate aftermarket brand, of which there seem to be less and less for qood quality, sadly.

R
I always shop for OEM brands . Brands that supply mb but don't charge mb prices. 👍👍

I always shop for OEM brands .

Yes, but quality may not be what is was. I had a new Bosch distributor cap fitted by some cowboys near Toulouse, and it was cracking after 9 months. They didn't need to touch the cap as I'd explained the problem. Bosch cap binned, replaced with cleaned up MB originals. All well.

And others are questioning the quality of Lemfoerder, Beru and other OEMs. I binned a new set of Beru plug leads as they just refused to snap cleanly down on to the plugs - 15 year old Berus no such problem. Similar with new NGKs that I also binned. I bit the bullet and had MB make up a set of leads and they "felt" totally different - snap on to the plugs, happy.

Depressing isn't it?

Oh, and I have seen people question the quality of recent MB-supplied parts. Even more depressing.

RayH

Yes, but quality may not be what is was. I had a new Bosch distributor cap fitted by some cowboys near Toulouse, and it was cracking after 9 months. They didn't need to touch the cap as I'd explained the problem. Bosch cap binned, replaced with cleaned up MB originals. All well.

And others are questioning the quality of Lemfoerder, Beru and other OEMs. I binned a new set of Beru plug leads as they just refused to snap cleanly down on to the plugs - 15 year old Berus no such problem. Similar with new NGKs that I also binned. I bit the bullet and had MB make up a set of leads and they "felt" totally different - snap on to the plugs, happy.

Depressing isn't it?

Oh, and I have seen people question the quality of recent MB-supplied parts. Even more depressing.

RayH
Not got much luck have you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom