Front Suspension

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

David404

Car
GLE350d (W166)
Way home tonight, loud bang from front of car (didn't hit anything) car now sitting low on suspension, bit more on OS than NS. Suspect its snapped a spring, going to get somebody to look tomorrow but assuming its a snapped spring what sort of a job is it?

Time/cost?

2009 W211 E320.

if your paying , £70 for the spring plus labour . no more than 2 hours if they have a spring compressor device.

mb dealer spring is the best option btw.

Way home tonight, loud bang from front of car (didn't hit anything) car now sitting low on suspension, bit more on OS than NS. Suspect its snapped a spring, going to get somebody to look tomorrow but assuming its a snapped spring what sort of a job is it?

Time/cost?

2009 W211 E320.

I had the same problem when I had my s211, Mercedes told me that they should be replaced in pairs ?????.
This was over 4 years ago and I was expecting a large bill and got a pleasant surprise, cant remember what the bill was but think it was around £250.

I had the same problem when I had my s211, Mercedes told me that they should be replaced in pairs ?????.
This was over 4 years ago and I was expecting a large bill and got a pleasant surprise, cant remember what the bill was but think it was around £250.

Yes, always replace springs in pairs.

Hi David make sure you do both but also worth thinking about h and r lowering springs as I think a full set is around 160 from h and r and apparently very good. This would be what I'd do when this happens eventually on mine. Wish I'd of know about h and r before changing my rears when I got her 4 years ago.

Hi David make sure you do both but also worth thinking about h and r lowering springs as I think a full set is around 160 from h and r and apparently very good. This would be what I'd do when this happens eventually on mine. Wish I'd of know about h and r before changing my rears when I got her 4 years ago.

+1 When a spring snaps on my CLK I will fit HRs all around too :)

from ECP £165

Unrelated question but is TRW a good brand for suspension arms? Or stick with Lemforder?

of equal quality tbh , both companies are now owned by zf anyways , i just bought all the arms for my drivers side by trw inc hub ball joints, seem very good . ive worked at 2 trw sites and manufacture techniques are very stringent.

Was that supply & fit pair of springs at main dealer?

Was that supply & fit pair of springs at main dealer?

Doesn’t sound right. I thought the hourly charge was £120+ VAT. With parts that’s impossible to be £250

mb wanted £250 labour to change my front hub bearing , a job that took me 30 minutes .

Thanks for tip but will stick prob stick to Std, not a big fan of mods and I tow a caravan (1500kg) and at moment logistics of repair are an issue so OE springs ex dealer seems simple.

As i said i got a pleasant surprise, from what I remember the springs had a code number or some thing that had to be match up.
And it was over 4 years ago.

Had both fronts replaced by MB Chester after one snapped 200 miles from home, was nearly £500 as car W211 E320cdiwas recovered to MB by Mobilio .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom