Gearbox servicing, is it part of the normal schedule?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well its 5 years old model with 83k on the clock. I was booked with my local mercedes speciallist HAlock but he couldnt do it for some strange reasons... Hes very professional otherwise but deals with rather older models of mercedes.
£550 must be a record for ATF change, Is 9g more expensive than 7g+ ?

£550 must be a record for ATF change, Is 9g more expensive than 7g+ ?
I'm not sure about the 9g, but for the 7G, I've already forked out €200 just for the ATF and filter etc. And as I plan on doing it myself, the labour charges will not apply, but I can well imagine that MB main dealer labour prices will be quite high

I'm not sure about the 9g, but for the 7G, I've already forked out €200 just for the ATF and filter etc. And as I plan on doing it myself, the labour charges will not apply, but I can well imagine that MB main dealer labour prices will be quite high

I was hoping more like £130

£1008.00 for 2 years servicing . Less your £550 = £229 per service .

I'm not 100% on this but from what I've seen on the 9g ,the sump pan is plastic and is combined with the filters . The whole thing is changed. Service kits on ebay are around £250 .
My Jag had that kind of oil pan, they don't come cheap!

You will also need a pump & adapter to pump the new ATF in; a low range torque spanner for the sump bolts and a good OBD scanner (or infra red thermometer) to monitor the ATF temp. All stuff that you can use again so not consumables.

I would suggest that you'll need 10 litres of ATF if you intend to drain the TC. There is a lot of ATF in the TC. Also you have to overfill the sump and let it spurt out which wastes half a litre or so.

You will also need a pump & adapter to pump the new ATF in; a low range torque spanner for the sump bolts and a good OBD scanner (or infra red thermometer) to monitor the ATF temp. All stuff that you can use again so not consumables.

I would suggest that you'll need 10 litres of ATF if you intend to drain the TC. There is a lot of ATF in the TC. Also you have to overfill the sump and let it spurt out which wastes half a litre or so.

Your right I may have to get an extra 2 litres just in case.
I have all the other kit including the Icarsoft MB v2 that can monitor the temp.

Its just getting round to doing it as too cold to lie on your back at the moment.

I paid €130 for the ATF, and €70 for the filter,gasket,bolts etc. The pump and sump fittings / connectors etc. I already have, as well as the iCarsoft. It may be possible to buy the parts individually a bit cheaper, but I prefer to go by the kit which shows MB part nrs.

Your right I may have to get an extra 2 litres just in case.
I have all the other kit including the Icarsoft MB v2 that can monitor the temp.

Its just getting round to doing it as too cold to lie on your back at the moment.
Hope you've got some car ramps and no beer belly 😉.

Well I've got some ramps.
LOL ...Well that's 50% of it anyway...how about a creeper board??? Would highly recommend.... BTW, after listening to all this advice, are you beginning to have 2nd thoughts???? :rolleyes:

LOL ...Well that's 50% of it anyway...how about a creeper board??? Would highly recommend.... BTW, after listening to all this advice, are you beginning to have 2nd thoughts???? :rolleyes:
Yes I do also have a creeper board.
Not put off doing this as it doesn’t seem difficult just awkward without a proper lift, I also want to film it for a utube video, I did a video ages ago about changing the heating system coolant on my newish Motorhome, dealer price was £200 plus, did it for £34, had lots of good feedback and encouraged people to have a go.
Hopefully this be completed with the same results.

Yes I do also have a creeper board.
Not put off doing this as it doesn’t seem difficult just awkward without a proper lift, I also want to film it for a utube video, I did a video ages ago about changing the heating system coolant on my newish Motorhome, dealer price was £200 plus, did it for £34, had lots of good feedback and encouraged people to have a go.
Hopefully this be completed with the same results.
Good idea!!! Keep us updated on the progress and of course the finished project. What was the name of your motor home vid? 😀😀😀

Good idea!!! Keep us updated on the progress and of course the finished project. What was the name of your motor home vid? 😀😀😀
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom