Getting started with a media server

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr E

MB Enthusiast
Car
57 W211 E280 AG
It's taken a few years to move out of the dark ages, but I'm ready to start thinking about a media server.

All of our CDs are now stored on disk (including a full backup on an external drive that siis in the new car :) ). What I want to do now is start putting on a fairly large DVD collection.

I'm quite happy in terms of getting the kit to talk to each other, and the tv, phones, pcs, etc, all have access.

However, what's the best way of transferring the DVDs onto disc? Preferably quite quick, and maintaining a decent level of quality too. IIRC I experimented a while back and it was a right PITA, and took ages too. Once transferred, the original media will go into storage at the studio (along with the music) freeing up a load of room in the house.

All suggestions appreciated.

I use a combination of DVDShrink as above and also anydvd by slysoft. I always maint 100% quality settings but strip out all the ads, menus and extras.

Be aware that ripping blue-ray takes a long time and takes up ten's of gigs of space per movie.

I have just spent the last few months doing this

I wanted to backup the DVD as well as create a copy of playing back over the network so did it in 2 steps

So create the DVD ISO and remove the copy protect, I used Magic DVD Ripper.

I then used Handbrake to make an MP4 version for playing on the network.

If you are not bothered about making the ISO copy then Magic DVD Ripper can actually create the MP4 file (or any other format for that matter) direct from the DVD. Note that Handbrake can't bypass the copy protect on a DVD so you will always need something else as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom