Glasgow help please.

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by Aitch55, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Aitch55

Aitch55 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL55
    Having done just 2,500 miles in the SL last year we're planning a little 1,000ish mile road trip in mid May. The plan is to visit friends near Wick. An overnight stop at a little pub I know just outside Perth and then, next morning after a brief stop at the Inverness Oil and Vinegar shop (go figure) on to Wick. Stop at Wick for a couple of days and head back the pretty way, as in more westerly. Find a place en route before another overnight stop in Fort William to take in the FW - Mallaig, Jacobite rail trip.

Now the bit we're stumped with. The o/h thinks it would be a nice idea to spend the last couple of days/nights in Glasgow to take in a couple of it's cultural sites. I'm worried about the car being left overnight to the mercy of the local wildlife and finding it, the next morning, with no wheels, vandalised or gone completely.

Having googled hotels in Glasgow and used streetview, most don't look great. Any suggestions for a reasonable hotel with secure, resident parking within walking/bus ride to the centre would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Paranoid of Bedford :)

2. IanA2

IanA2 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL60 AMG, GES300, Lexus GS 430
    There are plenty of excellent places to stay in and around Glasgow. Depends what you want to spend. Make sure you see the Burrell Collection and have a deep fried haggis & mars bar.

1 person likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Aitch55

Car:
    SL55
    I've no doubt Glasgow abounds with ideal places but an internet search doesn't compare with a personal recommendation. Burrell Collection looks good but I'll skip the suggested culinary adventures. Thanks all the same. :)

4. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    1 person likes this.
  5. LTD

LTD MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Yep, one of THOSE !!!
    Glasgow is a fine city and nowhere near as bad as the image most have in their head. Some fabulous architecture, museums, restaurants etc.

Look at Crown Plaza hotel at the SECC for parking if that's your priority. Major company but on the River Clyde and pretty out of the way from casual passers-by.

Visit could include the alternatives to the Burrell - House for an Art Lover in Bellahouston Park, the Kelvingrove Art Gallery, Princes Square / Argyle Arcade shopping.

Eating wise, there are some fine restaurants catering for all budgets.

If I can help, I will.

1 person likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Aitch55

Car:
    SL55
    I was rather hoping that you two guys would respond with some local knowledge.

I now seem spoiled for choice with the lists that your links have generated.

Looks like a toss up between the Crown Plaza and the nearby Hilton.

7. brucemillar

brucemillar MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
    +1

An lovely city that has for too long been stereotyped for all the wrong reasons.

Loch Lomond is but a short drive from Glasgow. If you are really concerned then stay at Loch Lomond and drive into town.

1 person likes this.
  8. Timster

Timster Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Currently Merc' Less.
    More importantly - why would you want to spend so long in Wick?

9. Rob77

Rob77 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    '90 W201 2.6 Sportline; '96 S124 E300D; '94 Aprilia Pegaso 650
    Depends if you want city centre or west end and how much you want to pay. Several premier inns right in the centre or the grand central hotel at central station is quite famous. Or the Hilton Grosvenor on great western road always had a good rep if you want west end. You'd need to call them about secure parking but it isn't actually a war zone.

And you need to eat at the Ubiquitous Chip!

1 person likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Aitch55

Car:
    SL55
    Please! I'm not stereotyping Glasgow or Glaswegians any more than any other place. I'm just paranoid about that bloody car. I live in the sticks and still worry about leaving it on the drive overnight.

I'm stuck with the trip to Wick. Seeing old friends is the excuse to make the trip in the first place. And anyway, the drive there is rather nice. :)

That's my problem. Knowing nothing of the city, I don't know where best to look for accommodation. Ideally, it would be somewhere fairly central to the tourist sites where I can leave the car until it's time to leave.

Ubiquitous Chip looks interesting, thanks.

1 person likes this.
  11. Rob77

Rob77 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    '90 W201 2.6 Sportline; '96 S124 E300D; '94 Aprilia Pegaso 650
    Do you know which sites you want to visit?

12. Pontoneer

Pontoneer MB Club Veteran

Car:
    '93 190E 2.3LE W201 ; '93 300SL-24 R129
    MB Glasgow dealership are right in the city centre - if you are worried about the car , leave it with them for something or other ( service , valet , free health check - whatever ) and either walk or taxi to hotel ( they may even give you a lift round to the hotel if you ask ? ) .

Then enjoy the city knowing your car is in safe hands .

13. lxi

lxi Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL63 AMG, prior to that A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
  14. IanA2

IanA2 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL60 AMG, GES300, Lexus GS 430
    Still don't know how much you want to spend. Sherbrooke is handy for The Burrell and has a car park. In any event it's a very quiet safe area, I used to live around the corner and know the hotel well. I'd check reviews though as it's been around since the Ark and has quality cycles. When it's good it's very good. Then there's the Devonshire, which I see is now Hotel du Vin so should be reasonably good.

https://www.hotelduvin.com/locations/glasgow/

ETA; Just out of interest I checked the Sherbrooke reviews, after all I have know this place for over forty years. It seems they've turned it into a wedding reception factory which is often a sign that management are well focused on money and not service. Some of the reviews (recent) are real stinkers. I think elsewhere might suit better, pity, it's a lovely setting.:(

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  15. DrFeelgood

DrFeelgood MB Club Veteran

Car:
    MB
    Only been once, stayed at the hotel du vin and parked in a modern multi storey down the road for 3 days.
    Nothing bad happened and the hotel was cheap (ish) due to some deal the missus did which included a cocktail and dinner.

16. Shiznmatt

Shiznmatt New Member

Car:
    C-Class 350 cdi
    Try Mar-Hall in erskine is nice, Glasgow is ok to stay in & I've never had a problem with the car.

Tags: