GLC Issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks for the advice, I'll ask Mercedes garage to look into this

Sent from my SM-T805 using Tapatalk

PS. For avoidance of doubt, it is the alignment of the camera systems supporting the radar sensors, the whole lot. Not a wheel alignment.

If I am not mistaken I think the distronic plus utilises a combination of radar with camera input and other sensors. But as there are so many generation differences it is hard to keep up :)

It is that alignment/recalibration that I think that should take place.

Quick question for people who understand electrics:

I've now had multiple instances of the car boot opening by itself whilst I'm far away from the car, far enough for it to not be accidental key press.

I've had multiple occasions where a single front light has come on overnight when the car has been left with lights 'auto' mode and the indicator in neutral.

This is on top of other electrical related issues I've mentioned before and that the pre brake emergency warning alarm is now going off more often since the car got fixed after the accident repairs.

Is this starting to suggest an electrical short or similar, I think that's inductive of these symptoms...

I've now had multiple instances of the car boot opening by itself whilst I'm far away from the car, far enough for it to not be accidental key press.

I've had multiple occasions where a single front light has come on overnight when the car has been left with lights 'auto' mode and the indicator in neutral.

This is on top of other electrical related issues I've mentioned before and that the pre brake emergency warning alarm is now going off more often since the car got fixed after the accident repairs.

Is this starting to suggest an electrical short or similar, I think that's inductive of these symptoms...
Oh another weird thing, though might be a characteristic of all GLC's, the other day when i got in the car I deliberately turned off the media system before turning on ignition so it didn't pick up a call I was on, well even though it was off, it still picked up the call and put it through the media system, though with a blank screen.

And sometimes the reversing cameras don't come on when reverse is engaged.

It's not just you :)

Our nearside front light came on this afternoon - car had been switched off and locked overnight, looked out and the light was on. I thought it might be a parking light, maybe indicator lever was down. Clicked to unlock, light still on, opened the door and it went off and stayed off after re-locking. Didn't get in the car or touch any switches, mystery!

Tony

It's not just you :)

Our nearside front light came on this afternoon - car had been switched off and locked overnight, looked out and the light was on. I thought it might be a parking light, maybe indicator lever was down. Clicked to unlock, light still on, opened the door and it went off and stayed off after re-locking. Didn't get in the car or touch any switches, mystery!

Tony
That says to me then that either is a common electrical fault or software is involved and its full of bugs.

Can't say as I don't know the technical details of these systems.

My car boot opening by itself is a security risk, another call to Mercedes on Monday...

It appears this has occurred on other Mercedes models, there are a few posts on the GLA forums, some posts on C Class forum from 2007 and there is a YouTube video of a C class doing it.

The tailgate opening by foot swipe doesn't appear to work anymore either
Oh another weird thing, though might be a characteristic of all GLC's, the other day when i got in the car I deliberately turned off the media system before turning on ignition so it didn't pick up a call I was on, well even though it was off, it still picked up the call and put it through the media system, though with a blank screen.

And sometimes the reversing cameras don't come on when reverse is engaged.

Last edited:
I've had the phantom tailgate release a couple of times now but luckily on both occasions the car has been at home and it wasn't raining. The dipped headlights have also switched themselves on in the middle of the night twice which each time required a reset by opening and relocking the door. I booked a while-you-wait appointment with the dealer who downloaded the latest software revision and it has been fine so far. The software revisions are quite frequent and also cumulative so it has the potential to fix a host of other niggles you may be experiencing. I was told there are fail-safes that would prevent the headlights from draining the battery to beyond the point where it would fail to start the car.

I drew the dealers attention to the fact there is no drainage holes at the bottom corner below the passenger-side windscreen and water pools there if the car is on level ground. Apparently they all do it and the water eventually finds its way to the centre drain when the car is moving. Don't try and add a drainage hole, I assume there is stuff below that Mercedes doesn't want to get wet.

Have you had a word with them regarding the alignment of the safety features yet?

Have you had a word with them regarding the alignment of the safety features yet?
Beaconsfield mumbled they would check it during the service due in 3 weeks but said unless a sensor shows a problem they would do nothing.

They have continued to show a complete lack of interest and respect throughout, even when I have clearly demonstrated various issues, including the distronicplus system accelerating straight at stationary traffic. The workshop foreman says I expect too much as I had to do an emergency stop to avoid an accident.

My best bet now is with Sytner group where I bought the car, they have talked a good talk, now is time for them to deliver

Maybe you will never be happy with this car even if all the issues are resolved. I know you will take a hit on its resell value but life is too short and this kind of hassle is unnecessary. If it were my car i would p/ex it for something else.

Maybe you will never be happy with this car even if all the issues are resolved. I know you will take a hit on its resell value but life is too short and this kind of hassle is unnecessary. If it were my car i would p/ex it for something else.
It's something I'm actively looking into, but life is not so simple when you are dealing with very complex medical conditions, there are huge complexities and significant consequences, a lot often unknown, to every decision I make.
- for example I could buy another make of car, drive it a few days and find my condition reacts so badly to the drivers seat and position it renders me unable to drive at all.

I've only found the GLC comfortable enough to driver without severe pain and without upsetting my condition further.

So I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, if I had choices, yes I wouldn't put up with this hassle, if I had a choice I wouldn't pay ridiculous amounts of money for a GLC which is basically a C class on stilts and an additional £10000 fee.

It's something I'm actively looking into, but life is not so simple when you are dealing with very complex medical conditions, there are huge complexities and significant consequences, a lot often unknown, to every decision I make.

Defender to one side, every LR I've been in has been comfy so what about a Discovery Sport?

Defender to one side, every LR I've been in has been comfy so what about a Discovery Sport?
Can drive it for 15mins then I'm in severe pain, I've tried a lot of cars... Most car seats, apart from GLC, push the shoulders forward, my body can't have that, causes my arthritis to flare.

BTW, the f-pace does the same thing to me, haven't got to Porsche yet.

Can drive it for 15mins then I'm in severe pain, I've tried a lot of cars... Most car seats, apart from GLC, push the shoulders forward, my body can't have that, causes my arthritis to flare.

Oh, I'm in a lot of pain and have lots of other problems all the time, I always have to find things that has the least impact on me.

Oh the joys of having complex medical conditions.

If you can afford a Porsche the what about a GLE? With all the issues your car has maybe your dealer will give you a favourable cost for an upgrade. If the GLE seats aren't suitable then maybe swap them for GLC seats.

If you can afford a Porsche the what about a GLE? With all the issues your car has maybe your dealer will give you a favourable cost for an upgrade. If the GLE seats aren't suitable then maybe swap them for GLC seats.
For GLE, same reason as the others and yep I've asked many manufacturers including Mercedes, Jag, Land Rover, etc to change seats and they decline.

I've spoke to third party suppliers but without spending a lot of money on a guess this option won't work, until I'm in a particular seat, in a particular setup and using it for a few days, sometimes longer I don't know its effect.

I've even spoke to mobility, who adapt cars for disabled people like me, guess what, they don't do that type of adaption. :)

For GLE, same reason as the others and yep I've asked many manufacturers including Mercedes, Jag, Land Rover, etc to change seats and they decline.

I've spoke to third party suppliers but without spending a lot of money on a guess this option won't work, until I'm in a particular seat, in a particular setup and using it for a few days, sometimes longer I don't know its effect.

I've even spoke to mobility, who adapt cars for disabled people like me, guess what, they don't do that type of adaption. :)

Not sure if you have already said but have you considered/tried an Audi Q5?

Soz, that on my list to try, there is a 2017 update, the previous version was the same as others.
I get to try a different car every few weeks when I've got the energy and my condition allows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom