• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Had my PPF damaged ... so made me wonder ... how cost effective is it ...

Jibbajabba

SUPPORTER
Car
E63S
I had satin PPF fitted to my E63S when I got it from new - it was black metallic before.

Anyway - we know PPF is expensive, but what made me question it (a year after I had it fitted lol - bit too late I know) is how cost effective is it really, compared to actually repainting damage.

So why do people fit PPF - to protect the car right. PPF is self healing so small scratches should go right out with hot water (Topaz' version does anyway). Now I got to admit - I never really had a small scratch or noticed one anyway, but today I saw this :

SNAG-1388.png

It does look like it really is just damaged PPF - I don't know what happened or where and neither the car sensors nor the dash cam recorded any impact so I clearly hit something just enough for the PPF to be damaged.

So why do I question it now.

Well you see .. when the car was in for PPF and despite being a new (ish) car (had 3k miles on) - there were scratches in the bumper I didn't see when picking up the car from the dealer. I was told that PPF couldn't be laid properly without respray.

They charged me £650+ VAT for the respray - and yea you can get it cheaper - not my point. Now the car goes back to have the bumper re-PPFd ... and I am being charged £495+ VAT for just the bumper.

Makes you wonder ... Unless you want to get for a complete change (like me metallic to satin) - isn't it cheaper to just have the paint fixed by an indie - assuming you have a standard colour ?

I am not talking about Designo Magno paint and other special colours that would be impossible to fix and blend properly. But if you got a 'standard' paint job - is protecting it from scratches really commercially logical (*) ?

Also, some scratches may go through the PPF anyway - so you may still end up respraying it.

What you guys think ?

(*) I mean yes in my case 495 is still cheaper than 650 but I am sure you get it a lot cheaper when shopping around.

I think @Teego just proving my point on another thread

At my bodyshop, Autotek in Wirksworth, I just had both bumpers and side sills repaired, resprayed and lacquered in Designo Mauritius Blue. Plus early stage rust on rear wheel arches sorted. Plus bird-strike indentation to lower grille fixed. It's a CLS55 AMG. Cost me £480.
My wheels are going to be totally refurbished at the end of the month at Diamond Alloys in Derby. Powder coat colour of my choice from gazillions available. £60 per wheel.

I had satin PPF fitted to my E63S when I got it from new - it was black metallic before.

Anyway - we know PPF is expensive, but what made me question it (a year after I had it fitted lol - bit too late I know) is how cost effective is it really, compared to actually repainting damage.

So why do people fit PPF - to protect the car right. PPF is self healing so small scratches should go right out with hot water (Topaz' version does anyway). Now I got to admit - I never really had a small scratch or noticed one anyway, but today I saw this :

View attachment 115165

It does look like it really is just damaged PPF - I don't know what happened or where and neither the car sensors nor the dash cam recorded any impact so I clearly hit something just enough for the PPF to be damaged.

So why do I question it now.

Well you see .. when the car was in for PPF and despite being a new (ish) car (had 3k miles on) - there were scratches in the bumper I didn't see when picking up the car from the dealer. I was told that PPF couldn't be laid properly without respray.

They charged me £650+ VAT for the respray - and yea you can get it cheaper - not my point. Now the car goes back to have the bumper re-PPFd ... and I am being charged £495+ VAT for just the bumper.

Makes you wonder ... Unless you want to get for a complete change (like me metallic to satin) - isn't it cheaper to just have the paint fixed by an indie - assuming you have a standard colour ?

I am not talking about Designo Magno paint and other special colours that would be impossible to fix and blend properly. But if you got a 'standard' paint job - is protecting it from scratches really commercially logical (*) ?

Also, some scratches may go through the PPF anyway - so you may still end up respraying it.

What you guys think ?

(*) I mean yes in my case 495 is still cheaper than 650 but I am sure you get it a lot cheaper when shopping around.
PPF buys a peace of mind as much as it buys protection.

Avoiding unnecessary resprays is beneficial - especially on new cars or if you want to keep the car original - but as you say the cost of replacing PPF goes a long way towards the cost of respraying.

However the feeling of not having to “worry” to much about picking up minor damage is where the real value lies. PPF won’t stop major damage, but nothing will (apart from not drive the car!).

never seen a couple of scratches cost 650 to repair!
Get a proper Ceramic coating done anything that will damage that will damage PPF anyway and it looks so much nicer (IMHO) am not a fan at all of the Satin or Matt looks, shiny bright things are much nicer, if you dont like chrome black it but paint should gleam

That scratch looks abit more than ppf damage or am i missing something?

PPF is quite thick. I guess I’ll find out this WE

never seen a couple of scratches cost 650 to repair!
Get a proper Ceramic coating done anything that will damage that will damage PPF anyway and it looks so much nicer (IMHO) am not a fan at all of the Satin or Matt looks, shiny bright things are much nicer, if you dont like chrome black it but paint should gleam
What scratch protection does ceramic coating offer?

To my mind, you are asking the wrong question,
because PPF isn't meant to save you money on minor repairs... it's meant to protect the original paintwork (at a cost).

I don't have a special or very valuable car, but if I did have one, I would consider PPF as something that saves the original paintwork from a respray, and not necessarily something that saves money.

Repairing PPF and repairing the original paintwork are two different things, in terms of how they affect the car. And, keep in mind that PPF is a cost you incur upfront, while a respray is a cost that you may never incur. So the two are not really comparable.

Those scratches almost look intentional, 2 different angles of scratches, how is that possible ?
Vandalism ?

I'm constantly getting little scruffs and scratches on my car from car parks. I'm one of those annoying people that parks in the least busy part of the car park and (to my wife's disgust) don't mind the extra 30 seconds walk to the store. But even then, you come back and someone had parked right next to you, or they've managed to let their trolley drag down the side of your car. PPF would protect most of those incidents.

I have had one that had to be flatter out and polished by the body shop.

Could be something kicked up from the road and spinning? e.g. a bottle or piece of card that's been impregnated with grit having been smashed down the road a few times, then kicked up and knocked by the OPs bumper at 60mph?

What scratch protection does ceramic coating offer?
It offers a little scratch protection on very fine scratches, but it is definitely not scratch proof, doesn't protect from stone chips either.
PPF is your friend for stone chip protection.

It offers a little scratch protection on very fine scratches, but it is definitely not scratch proof, doesn't protect from stone chips either.
PPF is your friend for stone chip protection.
I know - I wanted to hear what suty455 thinks. ;)

As far as stone chips go ....I find keeping a sensible following distance is effective. Been driving over 50 years and never had a problem with stone chips. Get a minor one every now and then but nothing that bothers me very much and easily touched up. IMO certainly not worth the crazy prices the installers ask.

I know - I wanted to hear what suty455 thinks. ;)

As far as stone chips go ....I find keeping a sensible following distance is effective. Been driving over 50 years and never had a problem with stone chips. Get a minor one every now and then but nothing that bothers me very much and easily touched up. IMO certainly not worth the crazy prices the installers ask.
Got ya, you smell some of this then 💩

I'm constantly getting little scruffs and scratches on my car from car parks. I'm one of those annoying people that parks in the least busy part of the car park and (to my wife's disgust) don't mind the extra 30 seconds walk to the store. But even then, you come back and someone had parked right next to you, or they've managed to let their trolley drag down the side of your car. PPF would protect most of those incidents.

I have had one that had to be flatter out and polished by the body shop.
I use Door Defenders for this! We have a pair for each of the cars, they live in the boot. Work a treat - and zero door dings. I initially bought a pair for a Euro road trip in my Alfa years ago (it had had a full respray and was/still is immaculate) but we now use them for all the cars. It just takes the stress out of car parking. It's funny, loads of people comment on what a good idea they are but i've never seen anyone else use them!

door defenders

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom