Headlight switch bulb - what is it called or where can I get one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm interested in your 3rd brake light fix as I have the sporadic failure on mine but I'm guessing you had LEDs out rather than the thing not working 3 times a month that I have currently
Several LEDs failed, so I took it apart (with a Dremel - it's glued) to find that the current limiting resistors had overheated and caused the LEDs to fail. The SM resistors were replaced with 0.25W leaded, bent to fit the pads, tracks repaired, LEDs replaced. Overall, several hours of effort for a very modest financial saving. Not worth the effort. Next time I'm just going to buy a replacement. I think the design has since been changed to avoid the overheating problem.
Going back to the light switch issue, experience with adding LEDs on an old Audi dash, the problem was matching brightness rather than the colour. I'll be watching this thread as I'm tempted to upgrade my light switch.
Ian.

Hi
Had a look at my CLS before it got light this morning, and upon switching the ignition on I pumped fuel out all under the bonnet (i forgot that I had the fuel line disconnected as I am currently fixing slightly weeping rocker cover gaskets and breather covers.
Oh nearly forgot, mine is exactly the same as everyone else's.
Tried to find the switch on the EPC so I can source a second hand switch to play with possibly modify but I can't find it!!
Anyone gimme a clue what parts group to look in?

My cheap headlight donor switch arrived while I was away this week, I gave it a quick wipe down this afternoon and dismantled it ready to remove the LEDs...

50379765272_9d3b74fe2d_b.jpg

It is fully populated with them already! So if it would stop raining for five minutes I would put it in and test it. I'll see if there's a difference in part number to the one in my car as we may be able to identify them that way.

Update time. The new (older) switch is in and it works nicely.

Very blurry but when just the ignition is on you can find the switch thus:
50386344023_a480489aa4_b.jpg

Flick the lights on and HUZZAH! They're all lit as I want them to be:
50387041851_8ea2215d00_b.jpg

The switch that I have just fitted is date stamped 2001 and I'll type the part number so you can copy it and paste it into eBay in the hope it will help: A203 545 11 04 ANTR 7241 The ANTR I think is the colour of the trim. The one I removed from my car is labelled SCHW so I expect Anthracite and Scwharz. As soon as I clipped the anthracite one into the dash I realised it was different and I may swap the trim over if it bothers me when I can see it in the day time.
50387097831_449fa2b2cc_b.jpg

For the benefit of those who haven't removed the switch, it is very easy to do.
  • Remove the fusebox cover plate on the side of the dash.
  • (optional) Remove the T20 torx bolt on the fuse box and slide it down off the bracket to give you room to get your hand in there.
  • Squeeze the two clips on the sides of the switch (about level with the mirror adjustment switch) and push the panel out slightly.
  • Take a small pick tool and gently pry the clips holding the headlight adjuster switch in place to leave that behind as it's vacuum operated and pipes are sealed on - this is a madness for manufacturing!
  • Remove the wiring harness to the switch.

Nice job!

20200920-202016.jpg

😢

As you can see.... no lights on the icons... just in the centre.....
There are 4 types of light switch assembly on EPC for the W204: with one fog lamp switch or with two, and with or without manual height adjustment. So there's only one switch posdible for each car (depending on the options fitted).

Does anyone have a W204 where the icons are back-lit? If so, do you have one fog lamp or two, and do you have manual height adjustment?

I've just joined after recently getting a c class 250 amg sport estate and seemed to end up here a lot when searching for information.
This thread in particular was helpful, thought I had a problem but appears its a bizarre MB thing .
Not tempted to try any of the solutions because I don't understand half of it but made an interesting read .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom