Heatshield mounting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
German oil burner
Hey guys,

I've got an irritating vibrating type sound when i'm doing about 80-85mph and it sounds like its coming from the mid-back area. There's 2 types of sound, there's a clangy metal flapping sound and there's this (vooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmm) type vibrating sound, but i think they're both caused by the heatshield which is situated in the middle of the car. The vibrating sound is the one i get at high speeds, and at low speeds it becomes a more distinct clapping metal-to-metal sound.

Now one of the mounts, when we were removing the exhaust/propshaft a while back broke because of excess rust, and now i dont know how to mount that part of the heatshield back onto the car.

I was thinking to weld, but what if i need to remove it again?

Anyone got any suggestions?

Weld a stud onto the car and fix the heatshield with a nut.

i've got a real pants mig welder and i'm pants at welding! i will give that a shot though

Can you explain a bit more what u mean steve?

I doubt CM will hold it, it's just epoxy resin with metal added as bulk.

If its feasible, a self taping screw straight up and into the body, that’s what I used when one of the 4 nuts broke off the center bearing heat shied due to rust. I know its not very professional but it was quick and it will probably be still there in a few years time

Dec

Hi

I second the self tapper, 2 mins with a small drill bit, bit of grease or Waxoyl on your self tapper to stop rust and Bobs your dads brother. If you are not sure with the Mig its not worth the effort.

I doubt CM will hold it, it's just epoxy resin with metal added as bulk.
Wasn't so much thinking of it as glue, but being able to shape it around what's left of the fixing/heatshield, so the resultant lump holds it in place once set.

Rage - like DM say's it's a cross between epoxy and filler - has it's uses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom