• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Help Alternator pully

Tezz

Car
A180 w169 2006 2.0 cdi
Had a slight noise from belt and with onset of winter an occasional squeal, at 90,000 assumed poly belt, guides and tensioner wheels, I have all 3 bearings in boot and a new belt, about a week ago it got very metallic sound when I started for about 5 seconds and a sort of snap and I immediately shut of engine, was def a sound associated and combined with squeal on belt.

was first dry day today so I got me jack and axel stands out and thought I would have a look, biggest pain is getting it onto axel stands as I have a 3ton jack and not low profile but dose allow me to get front fairly high lift but have to jack to get jack in lol

so what turned out to be a belt and bearing swap changed as the alternator pulley had sort of exploded and shredded belt all kinds of metal rings around alternator, and the V grooved bit of alternator just feel off leaving it innards on the shaft

so I did hard part, removed compressor left connected, dropped alternator to a point, can access pulley , still yet to work out electrical disconnect to remove from car, but left for now as may not be needed

That was as far as I got as hands gave up could not grip anything and was worried they would seize and be left with car in air and tools all over the place., just put back on ground so they don't steel the wheels (-:

looked at epc for part number but it shows a nut, I don't remember seeing a nut in centre of pulley ? but I was in pain so may not have looked that closely

so I have most of parts just need to order the pully for alternator.

Dose anyone know for sure if need any special tools to change it ? like spline holder or a puller ect or tool to hold shaft ?

any tips , tools I need or you tube clips greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Tezz

car is in profile but some times it don't come up.

Its a 2006 A180 W169 2.0 CDI

Thanks,

just need to order parts and tools in one go as I can usually spend max 2-3 hours before hands give up

Thanks

Tezz

anyone ? I guess I can jack car up again have a look.

EPC shows a nut , yet my WIS shows a spline tool you insert, so guessing I will either need a through socket or an spline tool with a star or hex going through middle, just need to find out which and order

not found anything yet on you tube about replacing this pulley

Thanks

Tezz

As allways your Reg. or VIN is how to search for parts.
Too many variants for anyone with Webparts access to step through without simply entering the ViN.

I really wish we had some sort of part number request sticky for this for established members? @KillerHERTZ

I have part on order it's the getting old one off that's my issue

Thanks

I should took pic when jacked up

A bit more info to explain, got part number using vin and ordered

Looking at part that fell off and bits left on seam to be more than just a pulley and bearing

When I looked at pulley on car I thought it need a spline insert with a torx or star in middle.

What confused me was all EPC show a nut

Wis shows a special tool

What I need to know is what tools sizes ect I need to remove pulley

Many thanks

Tezz

I worked it out.

so you need a splined socket to hold pulley and a star drive to hold shaft, the pulley also took out belt and bottom guide wheel looked like it seen better days so I replaced it, managed to remove pulley with out disconnecting air con pump. Tensioner and top pulley felt smooth, no damage that I could see so left them, hope that don't come back to bit me n ****

still waiting on new alternator pulley to be delivered and should be fairly simple just to put all back together

No a fun or quick job but managed it with 3 ton jack and 2 Axel stands., apart from the splined socket and star drive, if doing belt you will also need a tool for the tensioner.

should have investigate squeal sooner, rather than assume it was just belt, but it went very quickly from squeal to pulley failer.

As car was on jack stands and I was waiting for postman, I took opportunity to change engine oil via sump plug and anti-freeze again

This is what happened to my pulley

Attachments

• pulley.jpg
    pulley.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
You probably need this

there will be a torx style fitting in the center of the spindle you turn on against the other

Just done same (Volvo) and its easier on the bench as its pretty tight.

Try this

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've got one of the cheap pulley kits in the garage, £22 on Amazon I think it was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom