• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

General Lifting

On 639's I have replaced the jacking pads.
The originals are naff, and break tooo easily.

I don't jack the diff either.

200k miles and 639's being attention hungry it's in the air regularly. Usually 1 axle at a time.
I've 2x 3 tonne trolley jacks. An SGS that I don't favour. It's the 2nd due to the 1st breaking, and this one needs a repair also. It works, it's safe, but the handle comes out as I tow it.
The 1st one remained stuck in the air, so using t'other was fun to get it out.
T'other is a Sealey that I've more confident in.

I use both to lift, left then right, then .... and drop onto stands. Old ones, solid but no longer with any markings.

I chock the other axle as the drive has a gradient.
That’s good to know.

I’m guessing you jack up near the jacking pads you changed out then drop them onto the axle stands?

When I look underneath it looks solid down the length of the van next to the pinch weld, was thinking it looked decent enough to jack on that then lower onto the pads.

That’s good to know.

I’m guessing you jack up near the jacking pads you changed out then drop them onto the axle stands?

When I look underneath it looks solid down the length of the van next to the pinch weld, was thinking it looked decent enough to jack on that then lower onto the pads.
Yep I use the pads. They're into re enforced section.
The trolley jacks get enough height.

I’ve bought some axle stands (Halfords advanced) my current trolley jack can lift just about high enough as I’ll use a block of wood to straddle the pinch weld.
I will invest in a new trolley jack but thought the stands were the main thing as I could have part of my body underneath it when I’m relying on them.

Now to crack off the lower suspension bolt, Halfords breaker bar and socket incoming. If it ever stops raining I’ll get on!

Thanks all

Ok so I thought my jack lifted high enough but it doesn’t, I think it should according to the rating plate so I may add some hydraulic oil I can get from work.
When it’s at max I can’t get axle stands anywhere near underneath. Unreal how high need to get it.
I may well get the 3 ton jack for the extra height.

Can I ask, on this photo it looks like the rail along the length of the car from the jack pad is solid and good enough to jack from until I get axle stand underneath pad
Am I correct?

Attachments

• IMG_1455.jpeg
    IMG_1455.jpeg
    299.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Ok so I thought my jack lifted high enough but it doesn’t, I think it should according to the rating plate so I may add some hydraulic oil I can get from work.
My TJ will lift until the arm is very close to vertical. If you aren't achieving that then possibly short of fluid.
When it’s at max I can’t get axle stands anywhere near underneath. Unreal how high need to get it.
Can you jack under the axle to get the height - bearing in mind that when the jack is lowered the tyres will possibly contact the ground? Unless the wheels are removed while raised that is.
My 2 tonne TJ feels the strain lifting even a corner on my 'Burb. Kerb weight is 2700kg so hefty but Vitos aint light either.
I (predominately) use bottle jacks now. Bottle jacks for lifting capacity, TJs for lift. 'Tis one or the other.
Can I ask, on this photo it looks like the rail along the length of the car from the jack pad is solid and good enough to jack from until I get axle stand underneath pad
Am I correct?
I'll leave that for a Vito owner to comment.

I did also notice this point which seems to be a solid part of a cross member and a little higher maybe easier to get stand under?
Sorry for more posts but just want to get it right and not cause damage or injury
My TJ will lift until the arm is very close to vertical. If you aren't achieving that then possibly short of fluid.

Can you jack under the axle to get the height - bearing in mind that when the jack is lowered the tyres will possibly contact the ground? Unless the wheels are removed while raised that is.

My 2 tonne TJ feels the strain lifting even a corner on my 'Burb. Kerb weight is 2700kg so hefty but Vitos aint light either.
I (predominately) use bottle jacks now. Bottle jacks for lifting capacity, TJs for lift. 'Tis one or the other.

I'll leave that for a Vito owner to comment.
thankyou for that informative reply Bellow. Certainly some points to mull over. Part of me thinks I’m going mad but something that sounds so simple is actually seemingly different in reality 😵‍💫

thankyou for that informative reply Bellow. Certainly some points to mull over. Part of me thinks I’m going mad but something that sounds so simple is actually seemingly different in reality 😵‍💫
It's like so many things - looks easy and then the detail intrudes.
You are right to be cautious. People die and are maimed lifting vehicles for the want of a little forethought. Don't be one of them.

Am I correct?
Personally I wouldn't, I would expect it to buckle.
But let us know how it handles it.

Am I correct?
As I have stated above, these little Vito vans are heavy little beasties. Imho the floor & sill sections that run along the underside are not as substantial as they may appear. I personally would not want to risk putting the weight of my van onto a jack on that for fear of damage.
I may well be wrong to be quite so cautious, but I'd prefer that than regret having tried it.
The long suspension travel would appear to be part of your issue. I'm sure it's not recommended, but fwiw I have put my jack under the front whishbone & jacked up from there in the past. The wishbones on my van are very substantial, unlike the floor & sill panels.

Reactions: m80
As I have stated above, these little Vito vans are heavy little beasties. Imho the floor & sill sections that run along the underside are not as substantial as they may appear. I personally would not want to risk putting the weight of my van onto a jack on that for fear of damage.
I may well be wrong to be quite so cautious, but I'd prefer that than regret having tried it.
The long suspension travel would appear to be part of your issue. I'm sure it's not recommended, but fwiw I have put my jack under the front whishbone & jacked up from there in the past. The wishbones on my van are very substantial, unlike the floor & sill panels.
Yes the suspension just keeps travelling! The jack gets it a couple of mm off the floor using the pad but then I need the confidence to put my stand somewhere or to jack it in a different place, like the wishbone then lower on to the pads onto the stand.
As I’m working on the suspension I guess it limits my options, unless I can get to the pivot point, if there is a substantial enough bracket.
In reality, all I want to do is jack it on the pad and lower onto stands using the same point but that isn’t an option.
It does make me wonder what others do!, I see videos on YT of mechanics working on the cars with just the jack under so I’m sure people do it.
I’d rather pay someone else than be unsafe or make it unsafe for others, I got young toddlers so I have more reason to be safe .

I have a really friendly mechanic in the village, I might pop and see him ask some advice.

Last edited:
Lifting the van off the ground isn't a problem - as mentioned the standard jack that comes with it will do that easily enough. It's just a question of where you put the supports.

Lifting the van off the ground isn't a problem - as mentioned the standard jack that comes with it will do that easily enough. It's just a question of where you put the supports.
That’s exactly what’s confusing me.
I think it might have been bellow that posted an American type of TJ that turned into a stand and so used the same jacking point. That’d be ideal I should think

That’s exactly what’s confusing me.
I think it might have been bellow that posted an American type of TJ that turned into a stand and so used the same jacking point. That’d be ideal I should think

There are also axle stands that incorporate a jack and a mechanical lock, so they're not reliant on the hydraulics to keep the vehicle up. This sort of thing:

Am I correct?

That jack looks the DIY jobbie I struggled with.

Halfords Advanced 3 Tonne Low Profile Trolley Jack | Halfords UK

£115 with the discounts right now

I don't have a Vito, but I lift using the jacking points, front cross member or rear diff (it's never been a problem) and put the stands under the inner suspension mounting mount normally.

That jack looks the DIY jobbie I struggled with.

Halfords Advanced 3 Tonne Low Profile Trolley Jack | Halfords UK

£115 with the discounts right now

I don't have a Vito, but I lift using the jacking points, front cross member or rear diff (it's never been a problem) and put the stands under the inner suspension mounting mount normally.
Ah yes that’s the one I’ve been looking at, seems a reasonable price too. Only way I could get it high enough!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom