• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

General Lifting

Appreciate your help on this, some results that come up on other forums when people ask are nowhere near as friendly!
Not sure why people think your incompetent to carry work out just because your bothered to ask about lifting safely 😵‍💫

I’m thinking I’ll get a higher lift 3 ton jack from Halfords. Use the jack pads to lift and see about lowering onto suspension mounting at the rear. Hopefully can still lower the arm to get the spring in.
Failing that I’ll jack up and swap to axle stands on the jack pads.

Last edited:
Appreciate the link , seems to be on the right lines i reckon👍
It comes with the inbuilt bottle jack limitation of restricted height. (My 'version' - had I built it - would have had the bottle jack inside the stand - concentric).

I’m thinking I’ll get a higher lift 3 ton jack from Halfords. Use the jack pads to lift and see about lowering onto suspension mounting at the rear. Hopefully can still lower the arm to get the spring in.
Failing that I’ll jack up and swap to axle stands on the jack pads.
Lift in stages?
When I have to lift my front wheels clear of the ground I use a bottle jack to its full height at the centre of the chassis crossmember, place low-set axle stands under the same at its edges, lower the bottle jack and place a wooden block between it and the crossmember then take another bite at it. That raises it high enough for the axle stands to be extended to their full height.

It comes with the inbuilt bottle jack limitation of restricted height. (My 'version' - had I built it - would have had the bottle jack inside the stand - concentric).

The one I posted (which I have no experience with - it was just the first of that type I found from a quick Google) has extending arms:

1727948833213.png

The one I posted (which I have no experience with - it was just the first of that type I found from a quick Google) has extending arms:
True, but the bottle jack element can't lift to the extending post's full height. What it will give is a higher start point (so to speak) but only bottle jack limited additional height. In other words, it can initially be placed under a vehicle at a greater height but the restricted additional lift wont allow for complete suspension extension - tyres still on the ground the result.

True, but the bottle jack element can't lift to the extending post's full height. What it will give is a higher start point (so to speak) but only bottle jack limited additional height. In other words, it can initially be placed under a vehicle at a greater height but the restricted additional lift wont allow for complete suspension extension - tyres still on the ground the result.

You could be right, but that would apply to just about any bottle jack ... and people do use them successfully :dk:

Looking at that one two post ujp....it does not look like bottle height will be a restriction as it looks like you can lock the axle stand part in place whilst you lower and reposition the bottle part to take it higher.....looks like it should be able to extend to the axles stands full height with no problem.

Looking at that one two post ujp....it does not look like bottle height will be a restriction as it looks like you can lock the axle stand part in place whilst you lower and reposition the bottle part to take it higher.....looks like it should be able to extend to the axles stands full height with no problem.
Not seeing how.
The serrated section moves with the ram and the holed part is pre-set only. What am I missing?

Just had another look underneath and I can see the suspension mount where the arm meets the mounting.
I see what people mean now about using support there, whether it be axle stand or jack. Just behind the diff, seems a plastic cover may partially obstruct

Just had another look underneath and I can see the suspension mount where the arm meets the mounting.
I see what people mean now about using support there, whether it be axle stand or jack. Just behind the diff, seems a plastic cover may partially obstruct
Oh and did someone say they lifted under the spring cups ? Then axle stand on the pads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom