Help and input appreciated stolen AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you want an outstanding bodyshop in the North (just under 2 hours from you) then its Chartwells in Derby. Their workmanship and provenance is without question (I only had a bumper replaced and painted but is was well documented and the paint was blended impeccably) Just look at what they are authorised repairers for.

Thanks for all your input and kind thoughts.
I am going to let Mercedes Sheffield look after it.
Apparently when the Police have released it, they had 97 cars to look at, it will go to Mercedes for mechanical appraisal then to their approved bodyshop for assessment on the repairs and then take it from there.
Very much appreciated and I will put the update on once things are on the move,
Thanks again,
Craig

Gutted for you that it got stolen :(

I had an awful repair and paintwork carried out by an insurers prefered body shop. I complained and an independent so called 3rd party assessed the car after some weeks of me rejecting the car and refusing to pick it up. The end result was the repair was classed as "commercially acceptable" so come and collect it otherwise you'll get charged for storage. I picked it up and had it done properly elsewhere at my expense. Lesson learnt.

I might have missed this bit. Have you seen the car since it's been recovered?

Gutted for you that it got stolen :(

I had an awful repair and paintwork carried out by an insurers prefered body shop. I complained and an independent so called 3rd party assessed the car after some weeks of me rejecting the car and refusing to pick it up. The end result was the repair was classed as "commercially acceptable" so come and collect it otherwise you'll get charged for storage. I picked it up and had it done properly elsewhere at my expense. Lesson learnt.

I might have missed this bit. Have you seen the car since it's been recovered
No not seen it yet it’s waiting for forensics to release it. Then it’s going to the garage. I think thats when they want me to go see it.
Forensics have 97 cars to look after.
TBH it’s completely knocked me for six.
I loved my car. I’d never had anything that gave me a buzz like it. Ive had bikes and all sorts but i think that was pinnacle. I drove it to Italy for three weeks a couple of years ago and it was a blast. I’d never bought as many cleaning products in my life.
I’ve made the decision if or when i get it back it’s going.

Sorry to read this, I wouldn't want to have it back if it were me too. Out of interest, what happens with insurance then - they pay to get it repaired but it will be cat registered as stolen and recovered? You have lost value there and need to deal with trying to sell it. Would you have been better off if the car was never found?

Sorry to read this, I wouldn't want to have it back if it were me too. Out of interest, what happens with insurance then - they pay to get it repaired but it will be cat registered as stolen and recovered? You have lost value there and need to deal with trying to sell it. Would you have been better off if the car was never found?
No, if your insurer repairs the car then it won’t show up in a HPI check (although there are checks in the trade that can flag up accident work that’s been done)

If your insurer gives you a cheque for the cars retail value then it will go on the HPI register under whatever classification they give it.

No, if your insurer repairs the car then it won’t show up in a HPI check (although there are checks in the trade that can flag up accident work that’s been done)

If your insurer gives you a cheque for the cars retail value then it will go on the HPI register under whatever classification they give it.
Thats exactly what what they said.

Thats exactly what what they said.
Sorry to hear about the theft, really sucks.

One suggestion, run your own HPI (or Vehicle Smart is cheaper) to check if the Police and Insurance stolen marker had been removed.

Thanks for all your input and kind thoughts.
I am going to let Mercedes Sheffield look after it.
Apparently when the Police have released it, they had 97 cars to look at, it will go to Mercedes for mechanical appraisal then to their approved bodyshop for assessment on the repairs and then take it from there.
Very much appreciated and I will put the update on once things are on the move,
Thanks again,
Craig
Sorry I’ve not got any advice on the situation, but when I had problems with the air deflector coming loose on myA45, MB Sheffield said that their approved body shop was in Chesterfield, just for your information.

Just a little update,
The insurance have decided my car was damaged beyond repair and written off.
Probably the best case scenario really I have settled and accepted the offer.
So thats it for now. Thank you for all your replies and help, it’s very much appreciated.
All the best to everyone. I’ll still drop in and read the forum even though i’m not strictly in the club anymore.
On a side note my car had the PPP option and I had bought a pair of rotors and pads that cost me over a thousand pounds they are still in the boxes genuine mercedes. If somebody can use them and wants to make me an offer please get in touch.
Once again all the best and thanks,
Craig

Sorry to hear your car was stolen and subsequently damaged. Unless you have a known good body repair shop I would take the Mercedes main dealer route.
When you get it back, fit an Autowatch Ghost. Having the keys will be of no use to a car thief with that fitted.

Yes can definitely vouch for having a Ghost device fitted.

I had a ghost fitted to my current car after a great deal of consideration. However I think I'm going to get Clifford Blackjax on my next car as you can just let them have it and get away from the area before it activates. Either that or a tracker type system that allows the car to be shut down remotely by the Police..
That's all well and good, but what if they really want the car and decide to go in and get the code from you

That's all well and good, but what if they really want the car and decide to go in and get the code from you
In that situation you either just tell them the code or get the samurai sword from under the bed. Depends on your personality at that point.

Or the double barrelled 💥🥴

I would definitely go the MB route.

If they paint any or the panel, then that panel is out of the 30 year warranty as they measure the paint thickness on each panel. I had one panel that had been painted (By Mercedes) and they refused the rust warranty on the arch for that reason. They honoured the other side though, this was on a W211.

In that situation you either just tell them the code or get the samurai sword from under the bed. Depends on your personality at that point.
Yes depends on the personality!

Got to take your chances. What do you recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom