Help/Clarification with partial repayment (40-50%) of hire purchase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GDAWG10

Car
C Class Sports Coupe
Hi all,

At the moment I'm the owner of two cars. A 2012 C Class Coupe which I have up for sale and estimate I will sell in the region of £8500-9500 for. I also recently at Christmas purchased/took out a deal on hire purchase for a 2018 CLA. My preference would have been to sell the 2012 car and put the money received for it as a deposit against the CLA therefore let's say just for simplicity purposes putting a £10,000 deposit down and financing the remaining £10,000 which again for simplicity (ball park figures) purposes paying £200 a month for 60 months. Due to being abroad and also still needing use of the 2012 car, I kept hold of it due to advice (documented on email) from the dealer, my own assumptions and a reconfirmation from a friend that this wall always the case - that I will be able to take out finance for the full amount of the car (less a small deposit) i.e £20,000, and therefore shooting the repayments up to £400 a month. I could then sell my 2012 (previous/now second car) and pay the finance company £10,000 as an early repayment. This will then take the money owed from £20,000 to £10,000 therefore having monthly lower payments of £200 a month and saving on interest in the long term. The interest would be recalculated to work off the new figure of £10,000 remaining.

I was just going over my agreement earlier because the time has come now where I intend to sell my 2012 car hopefully by the end of the summer. I saw a clause that concerned me a little and has confused me. It says that the partial repayment will come off the total amount payable which is this case £25,943. I was under the presumption that the partial repayment comes off of the total amount of credit remaining i.e £19,649 and the interest would be recalculated on £9649, so I would pay something back like 50% of the total amount of interest owed if I didn't make a partial settlement so around £12,000 in total. If that £10,000 partial repayment comes off of the total amount you will have to pay which is £25,943, that would mean I had to pay around £16,000 across the remaining months. This seems odd and could be me getting my wires crossed. If I pay the the settlement fee in total I would only pay the remaining credit which is £19,649 not the total amount you will have to pay. I guess my query is what is the "outstanding total amounts payable" as per the clause below. Is it the remaining credit/settlement amount or is it the "total amount you will have to pay"? figure. I've just seen the clause states "outstanding total amounts payable at the time of settlement". Can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks

Dealer:
"but the other option which could be easier is to just finance the full amount for the CLA and then once your car sells pay that amount off your finance which will give you a rebate in part of the interest and also re calculate your monthly instalments."

Early Repayment 11.1. If you effect a partial early repayment in accordance with the notice "Early Repayment" overleaf, we will: 11.1.1.firstly, apply the amount of the early repayment against any fees, charges and interest due to us at the time of settlement; and 11.1.2.secondly, apply the amount of the early repayment against the outstanding Total Amounts Payable under each of the (i) HP or the PCP (as the case may be); (ii) the RTI GAP Insurance Premium Personal Loan (iii) the Warranty Insurance Premium Personal Loan (iv) the Accessories Personal Loan; and (v) the Additional Personal Loan on a pro rata basis according to the outstanding Total Amounts Payable under each of the different credit elements of this Agreement at the time of settlement; 12. we will then reduce each remaining monthly payment so that you will repay the outstanding balance of the Total Amount Payable by the same number of monthly payments, each of a reduced amount. Where we have a right to compensation, we may add the amount of the compensation to the outstanding balance of the Total Amount Payable

These are the figures on the contract.

Total amount of credit: £19,649
Monthly repayments of £412.71

The total amount you will have to pay: £25,943
Interest: £5293

As of today:
Amount to pay off your Hire Purchase is: £19,665.32
Your total savings if you choose to settle your account now is:
£4,237.47

Moving to correct section, please check where you are posting.

Frankly, you need to have the conversation with the finance provider as they, and only they, will be able to tell you certainty what the numbers will be.

Under the Consumer Credit Act the total amount you pay is reduced if you pay off a credit agreement early. If you wish to pay off part of the loan early the savings of interest and charges will be less than if you pay off the loan in full - which you already know - but you need the finance provider to confirm exactly what the reduction will be in each circumstance.

Another option may be to use the revenue from your car sale, plus a bank loan for the remaining sum to pay off the current hire purchase agreement completely. Again, you need all the numbers to work out whether this would or wouldn't be a cheaper option.

Frankly, you need to have the conversation with the finance provider as they, and only they, will be able to tell you certainty what the numbers will be.

Under the Consumer Credit Act the total amount you pay is reduced if you pay off a credit agreement early. If you wish to pay off part of the loan early the savings of interest and charges will be less than if you pay off the loan in full - which you already know - but you need the finance provider to confirm exactly what the reduction will be in each circumstance.

Another option may be to use the revenue from your car sale, plus a bank loan for the remaining sum to pay off the current hire purchase agreement completely. Again, you need all the numbers to work out whether this would or wouldn't be a cheaper option.

Thanks. Yes, I figured out obviously if I pay the full amount then I would save on the majority of interest incurred over five years. What I couldn't work out from the agreement was if I pay off 50%, will the interest then be recalculated and effectively halved from the original figures.

I would call the finance provider however at the moment their lines will be clogged. I managed to get through to them about three weeks ago to discuss a payment holiday but they were so unsure on the figures and a few questions I asked that I will probably wait until the workforce get back to normal and try and get an answer.

Trying to get a feel from the normal cases in situations like this. I would rather use my car sale and a bank loan either with the same APR or less ideally but from the checks I ran this morning on a couple of eligibility checker websites for the loan it came back with 0% chance of being approved, quite possibly because I already have finance on this car outstanding for around £19,000 so the loan would be to pay that off, not on top, so maybe I will call them to go through the process and explain that. This would also be preferable for me because it would give me the opportunity to export the car to another EU country where we have a flat which I'd rather do sooner than later.

Thanks. Yes, I figured out obviously if I pay the full amount then I would save on the majority of interest incurred over five years. What I couldn't work out from the agreement was if I pay off 50%, will the interest then be recalculated and effectively halved from the original figures.

I would call the finance provider however at the moment their lines will be clogged. I managed to get through to them about three weeks ago to discuss a payment holiday but they were so unsure on the figures and a few questions I asked that I will probably wait until the workforce get back to normal and try and get an answer.

Trying to get a feel from the normal cases in situations like this. I would rather use my car sale and a bank loan either with the same APR or less ideally but from the checks I ran this morning on a couple of eligibility checker websites for the loan it came back with 0% chance of being approved, quite possibly because I already have finance on this car outstanding for around £19,000 so the loan would be to pay that off, not on top, so maybe I will call them to go through the process and explain that. This would also be preferable for me because it would give me the opportunity to export the car to another EU country where we have a flat which I'd rather do sooner than later.
Speak to your current finance provider (not the dealer) to get the right answers to your questions. Sales people aren’t always up to speed and will often answer what they think might be right, or answer what they think gets them the sale, without checking.

The online loan checks you’ve done today are probably straightforward unsecured loans, the lenders probably won’t be interested in anything which complicates the situation, such as refinancing which is what you might now be looking at.

Speak to the same and other finance companies, explain what you’re looking to do and they will work with lenders to provide a conditional offer, ie you must pay off the first loan, and they will probably secure the loan on the car in the same way you have with the HP you have today.

Got a reply from my finance company via their online messaging system:

"You do have the option to make overpayments in order to adjust your agreement. You can then either reduce your monthly instalment amount to pay less each month, or you may shorten the term of your finance agreement to complete the agreement earlier. Both options would save on interest due to a lump sum being made, if this is something you are interested in you will need to contact us by telephone for us to provide quotations to adjust your agreement"

So it does look like the amount of interest will reduce if I make a part payment and the orginal interest figure does get decreased. I can pay less each month or shorten the term of the agreement. Depends on my short term financial situation I guess and which one saves more on interest (if any, by a substantial amount).

Total amount of credit: £19,649
Monthly repayments of £412.71

The total amount you will have to pay: £25,943
Interest: £5293

That interest charge is 25% of the amount borrowed,...what is the APR?

Just a thought, have you looked for money transfer credit cards to help pay the balance?

There are some deals to be had. Then again this will also depend on your credit score/limits.

Yes I have, but no available credit at the moment.

I’m going through the process of applying for a bounce back loan as a sole trader which I’m eligible for. Works out quite nicely if I can get it because I can refinance the car on 2.5% apr rather than 9.9% saving myself a decent amount over the next few years whilst taking full ownership.

Yes I have, but no available credit at the moment.

I’m going through the process of applying for a bounce back loan as a sole trader which I’m eligible for. Works out quite nicely if I can get it because I can refinance the car on 2.5% apr rather than 9.9% saving myself a decent amount over the next few years whilst taking full ownership.
I'm looking forward to the tax hike which is expected to pay for such schemes.

I'm looking forward to the tax hike which is expected to pay for such schemes.
I'm not....... Especially as I've not used any out those schemes :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom