Help!! Don't know where coolant is leaking from!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car
none
Hi, I hope everyone's safe at home.

About 3 days ago, the engine coolant warning came on, and after putting about a liter of coolant in it and getting it home, I got the same warning yesterday. Upon further inspection after checking the engine oil cap and washer fluid tank and finding nothing out of the ordinary, I noticed that there was a leak. It leaked about 5 minutes after the engine was turned off in three instances today. Here is a picture link. New photo by tchnically jrnalism
A more zoomed out picture for context below

The leak is on the left side. My dad wants to drive it at least about 100 kilometres (that's about 62 miles) to someplace this Sunday and insists that he'll just top up the coolant when it's low. Is that a good idea?

My dad wants to drive it at least about 100 kilometres (that's about 62 miles) to someplace this Sunday and insists that he'll just top up the coolant when it's low. Is that a good idea?

No, find the leak, if you can't get it to a garage.

Not a good idea. It's probably leaking from the water pump which could let you down at any moment.

Not a good idea. It's probably leaking from the water pump which could let you down at any moment.
Got it. Also, the leak seemed to be coming from the radiator to my untrained eye based on where it pooled up.

You'd be taking a big risk of overheating driving 60 odd miles with any leak.

You'd be taking a big risk of overheating driving 60 odd miles with any leak.
Oh no, I wasn't insisting on taking the thing out. Since the leak seems to be nowhere near the water pump pulley and was closer to the radiator's drain nozzle, I just thought it'd be worth clarifying. Thanks

Does look like it's been blown through the radiator.

Suspicion confirmed. It's coming from the radiator(New photo by Viswanath Aditham, New photo by Viswanath Aditham)

I also tried to feel around for a leak at the radiator end of that pipe... And i found it. I loosened that hose clamp, pushed the hose in and tightened the screw of the hose clamp. I cleaned the leaked fluid in the picture, forgot to screw in the coolant expansion cap tightly enough, and when I started the engine and stopped it after a while, I noticed no leaks and then realised that I didn't screw the cap in tightly enough. After fixing that part, I turned the engine on again and lo and behold, a little leak again in the video(New video by Viswanath Aditham). You could just skip to 1 minute if you want. Any pointers?

Appears to be from the just beside the hosepipe spout on the plastic end of the rad .... looking at a new rad. These minor cracks in the rad plastic ends are difficult to repair or seal .... could try with a quality rad sealant in the coolant but doubt if it will be effective.

Appears to be from the just beside the hosepipe spout on the plastic end of the rad .... looking at a new rad. These minor cracks in the rad plastic ends are difficult to repair or seal .... could try with a quality rad sealant in the coolant but doubt if it will be effective.
Thanks, t4hir. Is there a possibility to replace just that part instead of the whole radiator? It's kinda expensive here. If not, sorry for the dumb question, but does m-seal do any good on the cracks? Since the leak seemed to be reduced, how safe is it to take it for a long test drive? I'm not trying to be annoying or anything, because it's my car at a loss if I do anything stupid. I'm just trying to gauge the severity of this.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the radiator comes sealed with the hard black plastic ends with the central metal core ... have to get a complete new rad rather than replace the damaged bit. I had a similar problem with my Jag a while ago and rad sealants didn't do the trick, so had to get a new rad!
Do not drive as the coolant loss will increase with system pressure and may make the problem worse ... maybe give it a try with K-Seal or equivalent product and see if it solves the coolant loss ... Plan B would be to replace the rad.

Unfortunately, the radiator comes sealed with the hard black plastic ends with the central metal core ... have to get a complete new rad rather than replace the damaged bit. I had a similar problem with my Jag a while ago and rad sealants didn't do the trick, so had to get a new rad!
Do not drive as the coolant loss will increase with system pressure and may make the problem worse ... maybe give it a try with K-Seal or equivalent product and see if it solves the coolant loss ... Plan B would be to replace the rad.
Hi guys. Hope you are all doing well and can help me. I have changed my fuel filter housing on my car. I top it up with coolant but it's leaking out. I can see all the fluid under the filter housing. Have I put the filter housing on wrong. The one I bought had three holes and the original only 2 holes. I dont think that matters. Why is it leaking. I am thinking that's the part I put on and they is a lot of fluid there. Under the car I can see all the fluid dripping. Could I have put the fuel filter housing on wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom