• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Help needed for Personalised number plate + windows and windscreen Tints

sam3003

Car
2.1 C220 BlueTEC Sport G-Tronic+ Euro 6
Hi there,
So I have finally bought an E220D 2017 dark blue from MB.
I have been considering buying a personalised number plate and I have found one which I like at a cost of £250
I am also considering tints for doors and windscreen and I was quoted
Rear Section window tints - £120
Full Car window tints - £180
Chameleon windscreen tint - £200 (coloures aqua blue, Cadbury purple & Solar Orange)

My questions are:
1- After I buy the new number plate from dvlaregistrations, do I need to do anything else apart from replacing the old NP with the new one?
2- Any tips if I want to go for a 4D number plate?
2- for the tints. How do I make sure that the Tint Darkness is legal? Do I just go by what the workshop say?

Any help would be apprecaited.

1. DVLA should do their stuff with the V5 and you inform your insurers

2. Just don't

3. Do you have no factory tint? A professional tint shop will know what is well within the law and where you can and cannot apply it

Any pics.....?

2. Just don't

3. Do you have no factory tint? A professional tint shop will know what is well within the law and where you can and cannot apply it

Any pics.....?
2. do you mean I should only get a 3d one?
3. As far I can see, there are no tints on any windows, front of back.

Last edited:
Just make sure the reg you buy to use isn’t ‘newer’ than the car - assuming it is age related.

I agree with the comment above - stick with a normal style plate, unless you want to increase the chances of plod-type attention to the car.

Otherwise, go for it!

I see you come from Manchester, so Pentagon Autotint are very good, I've had about 5 cars done there all excellent, I always go for Smoke tint all round (not windscreen) easy to see at night, never been pulled and always passed MOT, as for the Chameleon
Tint, personally don't like it, but it's your car. 4d plates are totally legal, as long as they are spaced correctly, and do look good imo. 🙂👍

Hi there,
So I have finally bought an E220D 2017 dark blue from MB.
I have been considering buying a personalised number plate and I have found one which I like at a cost of £250
I am also considering tints for doors and windscreen and I was quoted
Rear Section window tints - £120
Full Car window tints - £180
Chameleon windscreen tint - £200 (coloures aqua blue, Cadbury purple & Solar Orange)

My questions are:
1- After I buy the new number plate from dvlaregistrations, do I need to do anything else apart from replacing the old NP with the new one?
2- Any tips if I want to go for a 4D number plate?
2- for the tints. How do I make sure that the Tint Darkness is legal? Do I just go by what the workshop say?

Any help would be apprecaited.
Nice!!!.....then just take yourself down the Police station once a day for a "random spot check"......just to save them time when out on patrol!!!

4 d plates (most of which are illegal) and chameleon tint ?????.....🤢🤮

4D ….. do you have to inform your insurance at a time in the past, or at a time in the future, or just now? :banana:

Most cars come out of the factory with the maximum tint from front to B pillar. Might want to check this. You need 75% light transmissin through the windscreen and 70% through the sides, so maximum tint is 25% and 30% respectively.

Most cars come out of the factory with the maximum tint from front to B pillar. Might want to check this. You need 75% light transmissin through the windscreen and 70% through the sides, so maximum tint is 25% and 30% respectively.
As above. Years ago in my yoof, I went for the darkest possible tints all round except windscreen. During daylight everything looked like a dreary wintery day, but at night, what a transformation o_O could not see a thing, had to drop the windows at junctions. Let's just say not one of my better buys:mad:

My first SLK came with very dark tinted windows. On unlit roads at night it was like driving sat inside an oddly-shaped concrete pipe...

After the first such trip, the tint was removed the following day.

My CLS came back to me (bought it twice) with 4D plates. They're not on it now; my image of a Mercedes is understated and classy...

£250 seems cheap if that's the final price after dvla put the £80 transfer fee + vat ? As for camelion windscreen tint I wouldn't have that in a million years imo makes the car look cheap ,I've had 3D number plate s for year's with no issue's

My first SLK came with very dark tinted windows. On unlit roads at night it was like driving sat inside an oddly-shaped concrete pipe...

After the first such trip, the tint was removed the following day.

My CLS came back to me (bought it twice) with 4D plates. They're not on it now; my image of a Mercedes is understated and classy...

I couldn't agree more ! Stick to BMW if you're a dealer .

1. Just tell your insurers
2. Displaying number plates
As I understand it, many 3D/4D suppliers won't put their details on them because they don't meet the legal requirements, and sell them as show plates only.
3. There are no rules for tinting the rear windscreen or rear passenger windows. The front windscreen must let at least 75% of light through and the front side windows must let at least 70% of light through.
As many cars have windows already slightly tinted, adding a 30% tint actually makes them illegal, so it's not really worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom