help!!! power increase for e350cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello,

first time ever creating a thread anywhere so apologies in advance for any errors! need some help

bought my e350cdi just over a year ago, like the car but lacking in power so within two months i was on my way to Superchips to have it mapped, half hour or so later the guy comes out and quote "cars already been mapped by someone else they've done a good job" ohhhhhh

so as i was there for the sake of £50 and curiosity i had the rolling road and 285.0 BHP, 657.4 Nm Torque, but its not enough, the cars a 10 plate, done 72k so im thinking ill be keeping if for a few years but what performance mods are out there? it needs something!.....any recommendations?

Stephen
657Nm of torque not enough lol. it must pull like a bloody train.
torque is what moves a mass from a to b, people get too hung up on bhp.

Last edited:
Maybe a trip to MSL, They got 300hp out of my friends 211 e280 cdi, they can usually get a little more from the 212's
what mods were done apart from map to get this and do you know torque figure, just wondering if torque was flattened slightly to increase bhp.

what mods were done apart from map to get this and do you know torque figure, just wondering if torque was flattened slightly to increase bhp.
I don't actually know what mods have been done apart from a map, i bought the car a year or so ago from a mercedes dealer - approved used, and havent found it enough so i headed to Superchips to have it mapped and they told me it had already been done by someone else (they didn't know who) but said they'd done a good job

The figures are:
Corrected power 285.9 BHP / 210.3kW
Engine power 275.1 BHP / 202.3kW
Max torque 657.4 at 2480 rpm / 120.3km/h
Max attained RPM 4180 rpm / 195.2 km/h

dont know if the above tells you much

fitting the racechip xlr on monday to improve the response which is whats bugging me at the moment and if that doesn't make it feel better going to take the advise above

I told the Owner to fitted the Larger cooler from the 320 which he did as that was also what id done to my I6 e320, He took it to MSL for the Map

Herishi is the forum members name, maybe worth dropping him a pm he will give you the exact figures, i was with him when MSL Mapped the car.

He now has a BMW so im not sure he is still on here,

Can't help thinking that, rather than fiddle, a switch to AMG is probably the best route forward.

Have you tried the throttle body reset takes 5 mins and you can do it yourself.

I'm taking my w212 E350 CDI (70k mileage) to AMD Tuning this Friday for a map & dyno run. They said I'm looking at 300bhp & 700nm. That's enough power for me!
I have the 265bhp engine. Looking forward to it! :)

I don't actually know what mods have been done apart from a map, i bought the car a year or so ago from a mercedes dealer - approved used, and havent found it enough so i headed to Superchips to have it mapped and they told me it had already been done by someone else (they didn't know who) but said they'd done a good job

The figures are:
Corrected power 285.9 BHP / 210.3kW
Engine power 275.1 BHP / 202.3kW
Max torque 657.4 at 2480 rpm / 120.3km/h
Max attained RPM 4180 rpm / 195.2 km/h

dont know if the above tells you much

fitting the racechip xlr on monday to improve the response which is whats bugging me at the moment and if that doesn't make it feel better going to take the advise above

It'll improve the response alright .

I'm taking my w212 E350 CDI (70k mileage) to AMD Tuning this Friday for a map & dyno run. They said I'm looking at 300bhp & 700nm. That's enough power for me!
I have the 265bhp engine. Looking forward to it! :)

I’ve had the same remap done on my 2013 e350 coupe
The difference is that 2nd 3rd pull like crazy and it is so fast through these gears that it only stays in them for a matter of seconds before it’s into 4th and beyond

The output seems to be in the order of 300/330 bhp depending on how your baby was finished when it was born/put together

I was underwhelmed fairly quickly that it was reluctant to change gear faster or respond faster to the paddle shift

I am keen to see if there is a revised TCU map that would address this

Whilst many will say bah humbug snake oil etc I have just had the car terra cleaned and have to say that this had made more of a difference in “feel” than the remap
I suspect that the previous owner did too many pottering miles without planting their foot to the floor once in a while

Around town I am now getting 35mpg plus!
Previously 26-28 mpg at best

Admittedly I obsess about looking after my baby and had the bg products oil flush added when the oil was changed which did make a significant difference and the techs made a point of coming to me to tell me that it stank when they dropped the oil but that they were stunned that the oil remained clean when they ran the engine afterwards!
Techs don’t make comments like that lightly
FYI
Car had done 42,000 miles now after
The remap
Oil flush and change
And terra clean
It feels like a new car
I have NO affiliation to either BG or Terraclean
I just love my baby!

If anyone has any details on the TCU remap I would be VERY grateful
JG

I’ve had the same remap done on my 2013 e350 coupe
The difference is that 2nd 3rd pull like crazy and it is so fast through these gears that it only stays in them for a matter of seconds before it’s into 4th and beyond

The output seems to be in the order of 300/330 bhp depending on how your baby was finished when it was born/put together

I was underwhelmed fairly quickly that it was reluctant to change gear faster or respond faster to the paddle shift

I am keen to see if there is a revised TCU map that would address this

Whilst many will say bah humbug snake oil etc I have just had the car terra cleaned and have to say that this had made more of a difference in “feel” than the remap
I suspect that the previous owner did too many pottering miles without planting their foot to the floor once in a while

Around town I am now getting 35mpg plus!
Previously 26-28 mpg at best

Admittedly I obsess about looking after my baby and had the bg products oil flush added when the oil was changed which did make a significant difference and the techs made a point of coming to me to tell me that it stank when they dropped the oil but that they were stunned that the oil remained clean when they ran the engine afterwards!
Techs don’t make comments like that lightly
FYI
Car had done 42,000 miles now after
The remap
Oil flush and change
And terra clean
It feels like a new car
I have NO affiliation to either BG or Terraclean
I just love my baby!

If anyone has any details on the TCU remap I would be VERY grateful
JG
I couldn't of said it better myself! I'm very happy with her & her extra power. I'm still in two minds about the clean up job. I think about it I bit more. They will do me a "deal" if I take it back to AmD and get the cleaning done......

How do you get to use that torque and get the traction?
I have an E500 Coupe biturbo (4.7l) and even with a Quaife diff I struggle use what power/torque it has standard!

Tbh
How do you get to use that torque and get the traction?
I have an E500 Coupe biturbo (4.7l) and even with a Quaife diff I struggle use what power/torque it has standard!
it seems that the references tables that the TCU and ecu exchange and interrogate from each other need reviewing
It would appear that the standard figures a la oem setting are too much of a compromise and therefore when the engine is producing max torque or max power these are woefully incapable of delivering it to the wheels either causing chronic wheel spin, torque lock or esp override none of these are of much use if you are attempting to pedal rapidly in your baby

I think the ONLY solution is to have the ecu and the defence data that TCU relies upon modified

Most remappers won’t touch this because they don’t know enough about it
The won’t touch because they don’t realise that it needs revising
Or they don’t have the understanding to realise that the bottleneck is no longer the torque/power generation but it’s delivery
My suggestion is that any members who have had any experience of people capable of tweaking the above data and tables be voiced to the forums

So we can spend our hard earned cash with them rather than the usual suspects...

Unfortunately because the engine and transmission are so Co dependant with a MB it needs the tuner to understand more than just the ecu and its map but also the cascade data it supplies to the transmission

So in a very roundabout way - the only way to use it is to instruct the transmission at a data level how to harness the torque/power

HTH

Not sure how friendly they are to mercs...

Doesn’t seem to be their “thing”

The turbo on the E350 265 is rated at 310 bhp, mine has the MSL map and I'm happy with it.
0-60 in under 5.5 seconds, for a big diesel it is fast enough for me.
There is no point spending any more money on performance as the remap on offer from MSL pushes the turbo to its limits you will just be getting ripped off.
My E350 265 is slightly faster than a standard 330d, a standard 335 x drive will creep away on a roll, but leaves it for dead from the lights.
If you want a faster diesel buy a 335 d x drive and get it mapped, 380 + bhp and 700 nm + of torque 0-60 in under 4 seconds.
If you can't live with a BMW buy the E63 or an E400 both cars respond well to a remap.
You could always upgrade the turbo, injectors,and intercooler and maybe the gearbox but by the time you have paid for and bolted these bits on you could have bought the E400 and had it mapped.

Last edited:
I presume that a 10-plate car will be the pre-265 version. I can't see a couple of air filters or a different exhaust making much difference, they might sound 'faster' but if you already have 285bhp and a reasonable amount of torque you're going to need a significant change to really notice the difference. Take out all the soundproofing, it'll weigh less and sound faster ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom