Here's what two years of road film looks like

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yeh I don't see the point in a two step process when Autoglym super resin does it all in one step. You probably burnt a good amount of cals though :)
SRP doesn't do the same job as a clay bar. A clay bar will remove the surface contaminants whereas SRP will coat them in polish. But if your happy with the result then thats what matters.:)

The cleaner that SRP contains is not intended to deal the same things as a clay bar. Cleaner waxes are designed to remove old wax remnants and add a level of polishing at the same time as getting a fresh layer of wax on. They can only use the polishing action to abrade the contaminants, they can't lift them clear like a clay bar so I'm afraid all you've done is smash 2 years worth of fallout into your paint.

The saving grace is that white is pretty good at hiding swirls, along with the large amount of fillers that SRP contains.
I've stopped using SRP on my black cars. :oops:

So for me it's a win win, less time, same glass smooth finish and a deep gloss that looks great in the sun
That is the crux of the matter, YOU are completely happy with the result. There are many solutions available in detailing as there are in all other hobbies. I prefer to watch the latest films in 4K UHD on my 106" projector screen with a 7.2.4 surround sound installation to experience the ultimate immersion. I'm about £12k in the hole to achieve that but my mate next door would equally enjoy exactly the same film on his phone!

BTW, if I had a white car in that condition I would have cleaned it first with Auto Finesse ObliTARate ot Autosmart Tardis, followed by a clay mitt and topped off with the Carlack "Twins" for 6 months protection and a retina-searing gloss. There's nothing at all wrong with SRP All-In-One if it achieves the results you want, it's just that the world has moved on somewhat with more technically advanced products.

Good polish if keept in doors ,.But out side it will be lucky to last a week . You need a good wax to protect the bodywork .

To be fair, in the first post, the OP did say that he intended adding wax.

From your pictures the results look great from one panel to the other and it worked giving you the results you wanted.

My only thoughts are i bet it took a lot of elbow grease. I would imagine though when you got the urge to clean the SRP was what you had without buying anything which is fine.

If your next in halfords go with Toobads advice and grab yourself a Tar remover and a G3 Farcela clay mit (£13) forget claying lol (i'll probably be banned now :p).

You'll acheive a better result with much less effort and very little outlay. Once you have used the tar remover and given the car a hose down just mix up some soapy water with car shampoo and wash the car the clay mit it really really is easy, you'll really start to feel paintwork smooth under you hand (don't use alot of pressure.

The paintwork on my 2006 C Class is much much smoother than my bosses 2017 VW Amorak that feels like sand paper and mine is just so easy to clean because i keep it better then his.

Dont get me wrong when i do his i clean throughly and used SRP and BH Double speed wax on it because i have three bottles hanging around but it still feels rough and is a bit duller than i can be. Here's two pictures his on a bright day mine unfortunatly on a dull day.

I hadn't put tire shine on either at this point though.

IMG_0456.JPGIMG_0601.JPG

I think the main thing is he’s got the job done :)

As with most ‘detailing’ 90% is in the method, and for many that often equates to just getting it done at times.

SRP isn’t going to win any trophies but for a no-nonsense all in one quick cleaner/polisher/enhancer it gives a decent result.

I think the G3 clay mitt is probably a useful additional step but let’s be honest the OP hasn’t polished his car for 2 years so is hardly a keen detailer looking for perfection just a clean car with a little shine :cool:

As with most ‘detailing’ 90% is in the method, and for many that often equates to just getting it done at times.

That sounds like a good preamble for a "Lazy man's detailing thread". Most of the results, 10% of the effort. :thumb:

That sounds like a good preamble for a "Lazy man's detailing thread". Most of the results, 10% of the effort. :thumb:
Yeah but you have to admit, in fairness to the OP it looks like a decent improvement to how it was before :thumb:

I’m a more like the 10%, I have all the gear and knowledge but unfortunately with 3 young kids my days of spending hours polishing and waxing cars are over for the foreseeable future. Not lazy, just have other priorities.

I’m ashamed to say that in the last few years I think I’ve only managed to polish one of the cars once, and probably only washed them myself 2 or 3 times a year. Likewise the work car gets a £5/10 hand car wash and a wash & vac when it visits the main dealer for servicing/MOTs etc.

Perhaps the OP’s circumstances are similar or he chooses to spend his free time doing some other hobbies? :)

The concerns were more aimed at the fact that he believed it was doing something it wasn't. This is where spray sealants are great, because you can get a reasonable shine and beading without having to really touch the car, and therefore theoretically needing to clay bar (or accept that you're polishing the contaminants into the car, rather than directly removing).

I'm very much in the quick and easy detailing camp, I have neither the time nor the patience for more. Thus every 6 months...ok, once a year (do leap years count?), I give the car a run round with clay, throw on a layer of Dodo Juice NFS and then it makes do with a spray of Red Mist every so often. That's about as much I can stomach before wanting to throw in the towel.

Hi guys
So I’m picking up a new c class coupe Saturday. It’s grey met in colour. MB tried to up sell the smart guard stuff but I’ve declined and will do my own thing. So for years I’ve done this but with Auto glym products. However, what’s the views of everyone here for a first time polish protective barrier on a new car.

Yeh I think a lot of people would have, but it's a one step process with the polish, it removes all that gunk and leaves a protective coat in one step, rather than bar then polish.

I did clay bar on the bumper once and it was a lot of work that still needed a polish after.

Highly recommended clay mit's much easier & quicker than clay bars and for the quality of finish I'm looking for just as good. Amazing things you can really feel the gunk conning off and paint going smooth.

Why and out of interest what are you using.

PS I have a black car & just used SRP.
I find SRP leaves a white residue between the panels and under trim and needs quite a bit of effort to apply.

I now use Meguiar's Ultimate Polish and Meguiar's Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax.

I find SRP leaves a white residue between the panels and under trim and needs quite a bit of effort to apply.

I now use Meguiar's Ultimate Polish and Meguiar's Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax.
Thanks, will take a look at alternative product when I need fresh supplied.

Agree though SRP does dust a lot.

Hi guys
So I’m picking up a new c class coupe Saturday. It’s grey met in colour. MB tried to up sell the smart guard stuff but I’ve declined and will do my own thing. So for years I’ve done this but with Auto glym products. However, what’s the views of everyone here for a first time polish protective barrier on a new car.
Have you got new car now? Do post pics.

Even on new car, think I'd clay before polishing.

SRP requires very little effort when applied with a dual action polisher.

My cleaning kit includes: bilt hamber soft clay (for removing overspray mostly). Meguires compounds, SRP, EGP. I might do that once or twice a year, in between it is topped off with aqua wax.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

The detailer who washes my C55 recommended getting it clayed recently to remove contaminants stuck in the paint - my question is should I get this done before the car heads to the bodyshop to get the (they all do that sir) rust in the wheel arches sorted out? I don't want clearcoat going on over the little bits, and am unclear i the bodyshop would get them all out as I'm having the panels blended rather than a full respray.

The detailer who washes my C55 recommended getting it clayed recently to remove contaminants stuck in the paint - my question is should I get this done before the car heads to the bodyshop to get the (they all do that sir) rust in the wheel arches sorted out? I don't want clearcoat going on over the little bits, and am unclear i the bodyshop would get them all out as I'm having the panels blended rather than a full respray.
Neil, it would probably be fine, as the vast majority of cars which receive body work repairs have not been recently clay barred, but the fact that you’re asking the question suggests that it will play on your mind later if you don’t clay it first! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom