Hesitant 220

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Philip0603

Car
Mostly Mercedes
Hi, can anyone help? Have a 1993 E220 Auto estate, M111 engine. Only 156,000 miles.

Sometimes, not all the time, when I pull away the car will hesitate then proceed as normal. This happens only on light throttle, the engine just seems to die, whilst the electronics try their best to keep things running. This can result in surging especially in reverse. Also if I brake heavily the engine invariably dies. This can be a the least embarrasing, at the worst terrifying when the car dies halfway accross a junction.

Have given everything a cursory 'going over', and can not see anything untoward.

Any advice greatfully recieved.

Is it a HFM 111?

Not sure what a HFM engine is :confused: But think that mine is a M111.960 (according to Wikipedia)

It's in a 1993 E220 estate. It is part of the family of 4 Cylinder engines that MB used for all sorts of cars and comes in 1800 to 2300 CC, with or without a supercharger.

Any ideas??

If it is a HFM it will have an air mass sensor. If it has one this could be what is at fault.

Yes it has an air mass sensor, if i am correct it is located in the intake pipework down stream from the airfilter. Any idea how this can be checked?

Thanks, Philip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom