Highway Code changes effective from January 29th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
Rule H2 has always given right of way to somebody crossing a side road that you're about to turn into. Guess they're just adding cyclists but all of these rules are common sense, it's sad that they actually have to be written down and it's not how we behave as a society.

That's helpful thanks.

Another key difference seems to be that pedestrians now have priority when waiting to cross a road, which seems a little awkward, to be honest.

With respect to zebra crossings, it would be the case that one would have to give way when a foot is place on the crossing (always a bit dicey if you're the pedestrian!), whereas as now it's when they're waiting -- which is common sense, fair enough.

However, to be obliged by the new formal road hierarchy to give way to a pedestrian that is waiting to cross a road seems like a recipe for an increase in vehicles being rear ended.

Another key difference seems to be that pedestrians now have priority when waiting to cross a road, which seems a little awkward, to be honest.
Pedestrians in the road have always had priority over vehicles turning into it - which makes complete sense - but this revision will give carte blanche to the headphone wearing fraternity to simply step off the kerb in blissful ignorance as to whether they're about to end up on someone's bonnet in the secure knowledge that compo will be due because "it wasn't their responsibility".

Pedestrians in the road have always had priority over vehicles turning into it - which makes complete sense - but this revision will give carte blanche to the headphone wearing fraternity to simply step off the kerb in blissful ignorance as to whether they're about to end up on someone's bonnet in the secure knowledge that compo will be due because "it wasn't their responsibility".
Kinda takes away natural selection :D

I'm concerned about this rule as I think it may be misinterpreted by pedestrians and adds to the complications of driving.

My view is that driving has become more complicated year on year - and that complexity undermines safety.

As an example think the Advanced Stop Line setup is well intentioned - but is an apocryphal example of something that is misunderstood by many road users, causes congestion, and doesn't actually enhance the safety of cyclists. (I think there is an unintended occasional safety benefit to pedestrians in some circumstances if the road markings are observed properly).

Overall - every route I travel in the UK now involves more signage, more instructions, and more decision making, and less consistency from other road users.

I would strip back the highway code, strip back road signage and markings, and focus on fundsamentals and consistency of educating drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians and enforcing their behaviour.

Instead we have 'do gooders' just adding more rules and caveats.

As much for my safety as theirs, whenever possible I get close enough to the kerb when turning left to prevent a cyclist coming up on the inside.

The problem I have with these new rules is to ask why are they doing it.

Are pedestrians and cyclists routinely been run over in these circumstances such that new rules are needed to reduce the frequency of accidents? I'd be more than happy with the rules if this is the case but I suspect accidents of this sort only happen when someone does something stupid and whether pedestrian or cyclist, car or HGV driver they do something stupid out of a sense of entitlement to use the road.

The new rules will increase the sense of entitlement for pedestrians and cyclist and will reduce the sense of entitlement for car drives and other vehicles. In principle if all road users are sensible that should mean increased safety for the more vulnerable road users and a a reduction in accidents. But will it have the desired effect. I think it's just as likely that some pedestrians and cyclists armed with their increased sense of entitlement will do even more stupid things and all the rules will achieve is to absolve them of blame and place it firmly in the vehicle drivers lap without actually reducing the number of accidents.

Car drivers, and other vehicles all pay a road tax , and need to give way to everything else thats got no road tax , or insurance . Get ready for the scam curb artist who will be ready to put a claim in against you for brushing them on the road , not the curb.

Car drivers, and other vehicles all pay a road tax , and need to give way to everything else thats got no road tax , or insurance . Get ready for the scam curb artist who will be ready to put a claim in against you for brushing them on the road , not the curb.
Road tax has been replaced by opulence duty a long time ago. Roads are funded by local councils.

For clarification- the ‘give way to pedestrians’ code, i read it that it’s when the car is turning into or out of a road, and not where there’s no junction. Is that correct?

(Obviously the Zebra crossing bit is clear though)

The verb used is 'should', not 'must'. It is not mandatory, but in the event of an accident and/or a prosecution will be taken into account in determining where the blame lies. If some idiot in headphones simply steps off the kerb without stopping or bothering to look, I rather think that could be classed as at least contributory negligence. You'd need a witness, though; a dashcam might be a good idea...

Not sure how widely known this is:

View attachment 121842
I wonder what will happen when a driver stops on the side road waiting to turn left on to the main road, when a pedestrian assumes that the driver is giving way to them in order to cross the main road, and as a result doesn’t look left and right properly before stepping out.

I wonder what will happen when a driver stops on the side road waiting to turn left on to the main road, when a pedestrian assumes that the driver is giving way to them in order to cross the main road, and as a result doesn’t look left and right properly before stepping out.

I've seen something similar before albeit in cars, when letting someone out from a side turn onto a main road.

I remember once doing it and the person being let out seemed to assumed that because I let them go, somehow it was safe to just pull out without checking at all.

Luckily a driver approaching the opposite direction was wise to this, and was easily able to slow right down, and there was nothing coming from the same direction as me such as a motorbike / cyclist / emergency vehicle.

But the person I let out was oblivious.

That graphic is incorrect.

It does not feature a nob wearing black trakkie bottoms and a black hoodie riding an electric scooter.

My issue isn't with giving way to cyclists... I do this anyway. It's with spotting them when they wear dark clothes and riding a black bike at night with no lights or reflectors. You'd be surprised how many of them ride this way around Central London.

AntMB Still road tax where i come from ,.It said so on the taxation forms thats good enough for me . Soon i wont be paying any it will be free for my car .

A lot of responses seem to concentrate on the injustice to the motorist.
My thoughts are that these days we are guilty until we can prove otherwise.

Hit a pedestrian or cyclist and the noose is waiting, just or not.
Better let 'em do what they're doing really.

A lot of responses seem to concentrate on the injustice to the motorist.
My thoughts are that these days we are guilty until we can prove otherwise.

Hit a pedestrian or cyclist and the noose is waiting, just or not.
Better let 'em do what they're doing really.

There were some proposals a few years back here in the UK to change the legislation to say that in any collision between a pedestrian or a cyclist and a car, the car driver will automatically be deemed at fault. I believe that this has already been trialled in some places in Europe. The idea is to put the onus on car drivers to look out for pedestrians and cyclists, and avoid a collision. The current changes do not go that far, but they are certainly a step in that direction.

Reactions: m80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom