• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

How do you spot a multi valve diesel?

VP500

hi all

I'm serioulsy thinking about buying a W124, but economy is important. having read lots of posts and looked at lots of sites, it seems a multi valve diesel could be a good option for me. However, many of the classified ads don't make it clear what type of diesel a car is, and not being a mechanic, it's hard for me to tell the difference! Are there any easy clues? I have seen some late cars with an extra grille on the drivers side front wing, it that a clue?

Once I know what I'm looking for, I can start comparing prices and costs with an E220 W124, which is my other preferred option.

thanks in advance!

Richard.

Hi Richard,
Yes drivers side wing extra grille it the biggest external difference. Mostly they will be M or N registration plates. I have seen very few "Ls"
The air filter sits behind the extra grille internally. So when you go to see one make sure there is an air filter houseing behind the grille.
I have had a 220TE and now a 300D TE which is not 24v I also have a 300D 24v Saloon.
For preference, for me, the 300D 24v is streets ahead of my 300D 12v saloon and more economical than the 220TE which I had. Its also has a lot more power than my 300D TE.
Go for the best 300D 24v you can find, it is hard to find a good one but this looks OK.

1995/M Mercedes-Benz E300 DIESEL ESTATE AUTO on eBay (end time 06-Jan-11 15:47:54 GMT)

Oh, I forgot to ask....

I've read that the diesel isn't the quickest car to accelerate. Where I live, the are quite a few steep, long forest roads, how would the diesel or the E220 cope with them?

There are no motorways here - which is the way I like it ;-)

The easiest way of telling is knowing the visual difference between early and late models. The early cars had big grills in a traditional Mercedes style and were made from 1985-1993

130.Jpg

and the later cars had the grill incorporated into the bonnet and were from 1993-1996 and the later ones had the OM606 multivalve engines.

3132682703_d7584882cc.jpg

Your type and style of driving will have a big impact on mpg, they don't like stop start driving and achieve low 20's if drive normally, however on a motorway run they'll easily do low 30's.

Oh, I forgot to ask....

I've read that the diesel isn't the quickest car to accelerate. Where I live, the are quite a few steep, long forest roads, how would the diesel or the E220 cope with them?

There are no motorways here - which is the way I like it ;-)

You'll be better off with the petrol in my opinion, the cars were designed to munch the miles, not really the sort of driving you're describing, have you thought about a 190E?

Yes they are quite slow to accelerate but are fine and feel quite quick sometimes when pushed.

they will slow down on the steep hills but will get up no problem.

i disagree the e300 diesel is just as quick as e220 in accelration having owned both, and i think e220 is more juicer than e300 too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom