• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

How long do (used) cars stay on sale?

omega1

Car
E400d 2020 4matic (W213)
OK, so I know its a broad question, but I was wondering how quickly dealer's like to move cars on? (Apart from the obvious "as soon as possible")

I'm trying to establish how long (main) dealers like their cars to stick around for.

Of course I understand there's no hard rule and some cars will be more difficult to shift than others, but overall is there a timescale where they're starting to want to get them shifted?

Thanks.

As space becomes an issue I guess the less profitable will be shipped off to the auctions

How long is a piece of string? Some will move on after a few weeks and I've known others hold on to stock for years. Too many variables such private or listed company, price-point, co. financial position, 'brand' etc etc..

Depends on their cash flow position.

I was in local BMW dealer this weekend. They aim for four weeks max as I asked the very same question around their used car stock.

I guess as soon as possible given they start to advertise cars with 'coming soon' images. When they could wait and only advertise when they have proper photos and full spec.

I've bought a used car 'coming soon' before it was even prepared from previous owner with a layer of dirt and scratches, with items in the car (car park tickets, crisp packets, spare change, scrap paper etc).

Looked a right mess and I couldn't inspect the paintwork under the dirt. But Mercedes dealer got it looking pristine on day of collection.

Interesting info, thanks for sharing. I'm trying to gauge when to call back and see if I can get a bit more off a car!
I’m late to the question. Probably too late.

But the answer is to call on the last two days of the month, or on Friday.

Sales teams are run on targets and actuals. It all gets more competitive at the end of the month or week. For cars, houses and most big ticket sales.

Not unknown for retail vehicle businesses to also have links to 'trade' auctions such as the Ballyvesey group. Trade auctions in name only as they are often open to the general public nowadays. One way to get a better deal if you are willing to pay a hefty bidders deposit (weeds out the timewasters) and you accept you have no comeback if you buy unwisely.

Bear in mind that the current climate for used cars is very different to the norm. Used car prices are at an all time high and depreciation of stock is no where near the norm, so dealers are fairly unconcerned as to their normal drop in value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom