How often are you changing oil and filter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IFFY100

Car
Cls 350 cdi 2010 grand edition
I'm on every 8k or once per year, regardless of what I drive

Whenever the car says service due…

Twice a year for me, one my dealer to maintain warranty and an interim change myself. I’m a bit obsessive though. :doh:

I understand your desire to do the best for your car and I would do the same if my annual miles were anywhere near the maximum 15,000 allowed. What I wouldn't do is bother to change the filter more than once per year as if it's rated for 15,000 miles then it should be fine and a new filter will actually be less efficient than the old one. It's easy to say why not do it for the extra £8 or whatever they are but I'm arguing that if it's not needed, a new filter is potentially inferior regardless of the cost. You are giving the filter an easy time anyway by putting fresh oil in twice per year.

For the E280 CDI, once a year - oil and filter - which, these days is about 8000 miles.
For the W203 C200 Kompressor - Once a year - oil and filter - which will probably be around 5000 miles.

Every 12 months. Which works out about every 3k miles on the mileage I've done the last 2.5 years

Well I have 20,000 miles or a year,and so today the car put up there 13,000 miles to go or 9 weeks to a service,so mine get changed every year.

Every 5k on E55 W211 104k.

6000 miles, or annually, whichever comes first. Annually these days it seems…

Our cars have never exceeded the annual service interval and so have always been serviced every 12 months on the dot.

These days - since COVID-19 first arrived - then that could mean as little as 1000 miles in some cars but it varies by car.

Approximately every 4000 miles for me. Works out roughly every 9-10 months.

I feel like 4000 is long enough for the additives in the oil to do their thing.

Every 5-6K, filter+oil (dealer and DIY in between services) - piece of mind for a very small price, also a good chance to check under the car/engine with the trays removed.

I understand your desire to do the best for your car and I would do the same if my annual miles were anywhere near the maximum 15,000 allowed. What I wouldn't do is bother to change the filter more than once per year as if it's rated for 15,000 miles then it should be fine and a new filter will actually be less efficient than the old one. It's easy to say why not do it for the extra £8 or whatever they are but I'm arguing that if it's not needed, a new filter is potentially inferior regardless of the cost. You are giving the filter an easy time anyway by putting fresh oil in twice per year.
I agree it’s probably not necessary to change my filter twice a year, but I’m intrigued as to why a new filter would be inferior? I don’t doubt you, but struggle to see why this would be the case?

2008 E320cdi every 10k miles using Motul 229.52 oil. Purchased at 88k miles now at 162k miles with no oil consumption or timing chain rattles

Screenshot_20211130-093201_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20200625-091225_Chrome.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom