• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

How they make a Jaguar XJ.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
Its quite long but worth it. A video on how they make the Jaguar XJ. Includes stuff on how they make that glued and riveted aluminium body [ I shudder to think about accident repairs! :eek: ] . A mind blowing bit on their virtual 3D design studio,:cool: and some interesting figures about their engine build up. Intercut with a bit of Jaguar history and their competition success- non MB but well worth a look imho.
[YOUTUBE HD]y5kLsA5vjqs[/YOUTUBE HD]

Looks like something out of the Terminator films. I think robots have already taken over the world. David Cameron definitely looks plastic to me. :p

I know how they made my old XJ6 4.2. They got a load of rust traps out of stores and badly welded them together.

I assume the same rivet and glue techniques are used on the new XE?? http://ae-plus.com/features/jaguar-xe-body-structure
Some discussion
Q&A - Automotive Engineer
That said it looks as if Jaguar haven't quite licked the corrosion issue completely- perhaps they have left a little in for the "traditionalists" to complain about. ;)

Galvanic Corrosion - Rust from Road Salt - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Its interesting to see these new body/chassis construction technologies starting to be used in car manufacture. Audi have done it with their A2 and A8. BMW with their I3 and I8. Mercedes don't seem to have introduced it to any mainstream models yet altho the new SL R231 and SLR used advanced body construction techniques.

Last edited:
The W215 CL suffers from galvanic dissimilar metal corrosion at the base of the B (or is C, given it's a pillarless coupe?) pillar

As a follow up on a whim I tried to find some crash test data on the latest XJ on all the usual sites Euro NCAP and the American SAFETY Sites ------ slightly worryingly there is nothing! perhaps these aluminium bodies aren't quite so good in crash tests?? :dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom