• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

How to get insured as a 20year old on a merc 190e

vataklip

Car
mercedes 190e
I’ve recently bought a 1991 Mercedes 190e 1.8, I’m 20 years old with one years no claims as I didn’t start driving at 17.

I desperately want to get it on the road but at the moment the cheapest I can find is £5000 which i think is crazy, I expect it not to be cheap but that’s beyond.

Are there any tricks or loopholes that may help me?
If not, any insurance recommendations or ways around this problem would be much appreciated

Footman james and adrian flux are no good unfortunately

Where do live - roughly - it’ll affect the cost of your insurance

What comparison websites have you used so far?

What was your reason for choosing such an off the wall vehicle?

The usual first cars are the ones your friends drive: Corsas, Fiestas, Polos and all the usual 1.0 litre small hatchbacks.

At first glance, you’ll need to buy a difference car.

Where do live - roughly - it’ll affect the cost of your insurance

What comparison websites have you used so far?

What was your reason for choosing such an off the wall vehicle?

The usual first cars are the ones your friends drive: Corsas, Fiestas, Polos and all the usual 1.0 litre small hatchbacks.

At first glance, you’ll need to buy a difference car.
Thanks for your reply,
I haven’t tried many comparison sites, do you have any recommendations? But I have called adrian flux and footman james.

I’ve had a 1.6 fiesta since just before i turned 18 and have been driving since july 21 Due to covid stopping all hopes of passing at that time.

I picked this car as i have loved them for some time and the perfect one came up so couldn’t pass down the opportunity of getting it while it was still there.

I’ve heard about making it a second car instead of primary could bring the price down?

I picked the smallest litre engine 190e in hopes that would help
I understand it’s going to be pricey but 5grand is ridiculous, I know people with bmw 2.5 litre ect the same age as me so there has to be a way!!

I’d look into classic insurance. And join an owners club :thumb:

Keep the Fiesta and run the 190E as a second car. Engine size wont matter much.

Most companies won’t insure you on a classic policy at your age, but some might and I’m sure I remember being able to take out classic policies from age 21. In fact I had my first 190E 2.3-16 ‘Cosworth’ when I was 20! :doh:

Time flies! :)

I did similar to you but in 1992 when i was 22, 190E fully comp £1750 quid then.

Thanks for your reply,
I haven’t tried many comparison sites, do you have any recommendations? But I have called adrian flux and footman james.

I’ve had a 1.6 fiesta since just before i turned 18 and have been driving since july 21 Due to covid stopping all hopes of passing at that time.

I picked this car as i have loved them for some time and the perfect one came up so couldn’t pass down the opportunity of getting it while it was still there.

I’ve heard about making it a second car instead of primary could bring the price down?

I picked the smallest litre engine 190e in hopes that would help
I understand it’s going to be pricey but 5grand is ridiculous, I know people with bmw 2.5 litre ect the same age as me so there has to be a way!!
Your friends are probably driving their BMW 2.5's uninsured if they're the same age with the same no-claims bonus record. (That's why they haven't suggested their insurance company to you.) There are a million uninsured (uninsurable?) drivers in the UK, according to the police.

If you try the usual insurance comparison sites - you know who they are - they'll give you a range of quotes, but you won't see a quote much below £2500 "if" you live in a quiet, low-risk location. If you're in a city or high risk area, you won't.

The issue is simple: inexperienced drivers kill themselves and their passengers at a rate of about four a day. Male drivers under 25 cause 85% of all serious injury car accidents. Even in an impressive Mercedes that can seat five adults.

Here's today's example. (Probably an overloaded car being driven too fast)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-wales-67484258

Last edited:
I’d look into classic insurance. And join an owners club :thumb:

Keep the Fiesta and run the 190E as a second car. Engine size wont matter much.

Most companies won’t insure you on a classic policy at your age, but some might and I’m sure I remember being able to take out classic policies from age 21. In fact I had my first 190E 2.3-16 ‘Cosworth’ when I was 20! :doh:

Time flies! :)
Okay Thanks, do you know any good classic car insurance’s? Footman james have a minimum age of 25.

I think you’re right, Doing it as a second car does seem to be the way, just makes it even pricier:(

Wow that would have been a dream to get the Cosworth at this age! I’m sure you drove it very sensibly;)

I’ve recently bought a 1991 Mercedes 190e 1.8, I’m 20 years old with one years no claims as I didn’t start driving at 17.

I desperately want to get it on the road but at the moment the cheapest I can find is £5000 which i think is crazy, I expect it not to be cheap but that’s beyond.

Are there any tricks or loopholes that may help me?
If not, any insurance recommendations or ways around this problem would be much appreciated

Footman james and adrian flux are no good unfortunately
peter best w124 convertible £25000 agreed valuation 3000 miles a year £100 i am old though this maybe your problem

Your friends are probably driving their BMW 2.5's uninsured if they're the same age with the same no-claims bonus record. (That's why they haven't suggested their insurance company to you.) There are a million uninsured (uninsurable?) drivers in the UK, according to the police.

If you try the usual insurance comparison sites - you know who they are - they'll give you a range of quotes, but you won't see a quote much below £2500 "if" you live in a quiet, low-risk location. If you're in a city or high risk area, you won't.

The issue is simple: inexperienced drivers kill themselves and their passengers at a rate of about four a day. Even in an impressive Mercedes that can seat five adults. Here's the latest example from today. (Probably an overloaded car being driven too fast)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-wales-67484258
I live in rural suffolk so in terms of that It should be low crime area ect, aswell as being in a locked garage.

Yes Ive seen that sad accident, although I know anyone is capable of driving into a tree. Id consider myself reasonably sensible and have had a black box for two years to prove it so would have though that would count at least

IF I can get it for 2,500 that would be great but no such luck so far, but I’ll carry on searching!

peter best w124 convertible £25000 agreed valuation 3000 miles a year £100 i am old though this maybe your problem
Yes Unfortunately I think the age and gender play a large part in my problem

I'm with LV with a modified Mercedes but also try A plan and classic line Hinckley as well as the compare websites. Also look at adding both your mum and dad onto the policy which may reduce your price, and go for a higher excess. Hope this helps.

For a car of that age, try Classic Line. OK I've quite a few more grey hairs than you, but I insured my early-mid 90's 968's through them for years and they were good. I also live/lived in a rural area with the car garaged.

Okay Thanks, do you know any good classic car insurance’s? Footman james have a minimum age of 25.

I think you’re right, Doing it as a second car does seem to be the way, just makes it even pricier:(

Wow that would have been a dream to get the Cosworth at this age! I’m sure you drove it very sensibly;)
The 16v 190E was a fantastic car to learn to drive properly in, back in the day performance was good but it was a great chassis with excellent handling characteristics and fun to drive within sensible boundaries - l really liked them (and still do!)

Can’t remember which underwriter it was, but I think it was arranged through a broker based in Essex at the time - Peformance Direct (?). This was in the old days but still this millennium and I would have been 20 at the time. Probably got the number out of the back of a magazine back then…:)

Peter Best were always good for classic insurance too, I used to pay a few hundred tops for any cars I had.

In fact the Cosworth was definitely under £1000 @ 20 years old, but inflation etc accounts for a good chunk of what you’ve been quoted today of course.

It’s one of the reasons I’ve always had more than one car. When I bought a CLK55 in my twenties, the insurer I was with for my main car at the time wouldn’t cover it. So I got classic insurance on it (2001 ‘51’ plate car in 2008) for c. £300 PA, including agreed valuation, European breakdown cover, zero excess on glass claims etc.

And I continued to insure my E-class estate at the time - with all the running costs included (tax/MOT/insurance - probably about £500 all in) plus the policy on the CLK55 it was less than the cost of a regular policy on the CLK55 at the time.

Two cars for the price of less than one! :thumb:

You’ve got nothing to lose by getting as many quotes as possible. It will be a small, niche insurer that will eventually come out with a sensible quote for someone of your age and that type of car :cool:

I did similar to you but in 1992 when i was 22, 190E fully comp £1750 quid then.
If it wa
The 16v 190E was a fantastic car to learn to drive properly in, back in the day performance was good but it was a great chassis with excellent handling characteristics and fun to drive within sensible boundaries - l really liked them (and still do!)

Can’t remember which underwriter it was, but I think it was arranged through a broker based in Essex at the time - Peformance Direct (?). This was in the old days but still this millennium and I would have been 20 at the time. Probably got the number out of the back of a magazine back then…:)

Peter Best were always good for classic insurance too, I used to pay a few hundred tops for any cars I had.

In fact the Cosworth was definitely under £1000 @ 20 years old, but inflation etc accounts for a good chunk of what you’ve been quoted today of course.

It’s one of the reasons I’ve always had more than one car. When I bought a CLK55 in my twenties, the insurer I was with for my main car at the time wouldn’t cover it. So I got classic insurance on it (2001 ‘51’ plate car in 2008) for c. £300 PA, including agreed valuation, European breakdown cover, zero excess on glass claims etc.

And I continued to insure my E-class estate at the time - with all the running costs included (tax/MOT/insurance - probably about £500 all in) plus the policy on the CLK55 it was less than the cost of a regular policy on the CLK55 at the time.

Two cars for the price of less than one! :thumb:

You’ve got nothing to lose by getting as many quotes as possible. It will be a small, niche insurer that will eventually come out with a sensible quote for someone of your age and that type of car :cool:
Okay that really helps, Thanks a lot! Two cars seems the way to go. You have given me a bit more hope

Although I know inflation ect doesn’t help but The price difference between now and then is crazy, would be amazing to get it insured for a couple hundred.

I'm with LV with a modified Mercedes but also try A plan and classic line Hinckley as well as the compare websites. Also look at adding both your mum and dad onto the policy which may reduce your price, and go for a higher excess. Hope this helps.
That does help, Thanks a lot

For a car of that age, try Classic Line. OK I've quite a few more grey hairs than you, but I insured my early-mid 90's 968's through them for years and they were good. I also live/lived in a rural area with the car garaged.
okay Thanks:)

If it wa

Okay that really helps, Thanks a lot! Two cars seems the way to go. You have given me a bit more hope

Although I know inflation ect doesn’t help but The price difference between now and then is crazy, would be amazing to get it insured for a couple hundred.
Never going to happen @ 20 years old though! :)

Back when i was 21 (29 years ago), I ran a 1971 250CE on a classic policy and a BMW 318i on a regular policy and got great rates. I had an immobilizer installed in the BMW and I'm pretty sure that I insured it 3rd party only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom