• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

How to get insured as a 20year old on a merc 190e

I'm surprised that the OP got any quotes at all. I'd be suggesting mothballing the 190 and waiting until 25. but even then I doubt there will be cheap insurance around. (One of the very few benefits of being an old codger is cheap insurance and also not having to drive 100k miles a year anymore)

Back when i was 21 (29 years ago), I ran a 1971 250CE on a classic policy and a BMW 318i on a regular policy and got great rates. I had an immobilizer installed in the BMW and I'm pretty sure that I insured it 3rd party only.
3rd party is the £££ expensive bit. I looked at this years ago and cost almost the same

Any modifications (amg alloys, lowering springs) on your W201 bumping up the premium? If so return to factory spec. A VIN checker will tell you how your car came from the factory. Drivers airbag was an option on w201's so if your car has one let your insurer know, may lower the premium.

You could try Peter James insurance if you are going the run a classic as a garaged second car route.

Alternatively you could always use the time up until your are 25 years old to restore your w201. May even be worth asking classic insurers like Peter James etc if "laid up'"insurance, used while you restore your car, will help you get a better on the road rate once you turn 25 years old.

Last edited:
Add an older woman driver to the policy as a named driver....wont help that much but my wife being on my policy took fifty quid off (the whole thing was only £250 to start with).....even though she has never driven it and has far less NCB than me!!

Depends if you are going to "Ride on Time" .....or not.

OP, have you tried this company:

The only other thing I can think of is if one of your parents would be willing to take ownership of the car. They'd have to drive it over 50% of the time for the cover to be valid. There's a black box to record who's driving, so no cheating. The above company offer insurance on a parents car, I've no idea if it's available elsewhere too. It's a long time since I've had to worry about being too young for anything 👵🏻. Good luck 🤞🏻

What job title are you listing and what is it you do? I know that some titles can bump the premium

What job title are you listing and what is it you do? I know that some titles can bump the premium

Good point. I recently signed up with Aviva Zero via the Martin Whatshisface inurance quote tool https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/car-insurance/ One of the suggestions it made before chucking my insurance out to the market was a change of occupation description. All legit and still accurate but iirc reduced the premium by about 30%

3rd party is the £££ expensive bit. I looked at this years ago and cost almost the same
3rd party is the most basic insurance. It just covers the other car if you're at fault. No fire or theft coverage, no coverage to your car if you're at fault.

In any case, if he can't lower his liability, he won't put a significant dent in his premium unless he adds himself as a named driver on someone else's policy.

The issue is simple: inexperienced drivers kill themselves and their passengers at a rate of about four a day. Male drivers under 25 cause 85% of all serious injury car accidents. Even in an impressive Mercedes that can seat five adults.

The 1991 190E presumably won't have ESP or equivalent - and that is a feature that has made MBs cheaper to insure in some circumstances.

3rd party is the most basic insurance. It just covers the other car if you're at fault. No fire or theft coverage, no coverage to your car if you're at fault.
In any case, if he can't lower his liability, he won't put a significant dent in his premium unless he adds himself as a named driver on someone else's policy.
The game's moved on a bit in the UK. You can't buy 3rd party alone - it's always third party, fire and theft. But... sadly.. these days its pretty much the same cost as comprehensive cover, as the insurers don't want the fuss and risk of it.

They're being hit by genuine and not so genuine claims against young drivers, which make the 190E economically insurable for someone with one year's NCB, which is why all new young drivers are in 1.0 or 1.3 mass market small hatchbacks.

Sorry, but you need NCB and age. And even then you probably still need a low risk trade, another low risk person (woman) on the policy, AND a black box, AND restricted mileage AND a low risk area, AND a locked up garage.

If it wa

Okay that really helps, Thanks a lot! Two cars seems the way to go. You have given me a bit more hope

Although I know inflation ect doesn’t help but The price difference between now and then is crazy, would be amazing to get it insured for a couple hundred.
A bit of relative info is needed for a comparison.

My first insurance TPTF on an 850 mini back in 86 was £400 which was approx 10 weeks gross wages (£39) at the time.
When i had the 190e it was £1750 fully comp and i was earning Gross £300 a week, so circa 6x

I use these comparisons when i talk with my younger friends and there kids, often they are insuring for a smaller mutiplier as there earnings are higher.

Now im in mid Fifties and if my premium is more than a weeks money im furious.

I’ve recently bought a 1991 Mercedes 190e 1.8, I’m 20 years old with one years no claims as I didn’t start driving at 17.

I desperately want to get it on the road but at the moment the cheapest I can find is £5000 which i think is crazy, I expect it not to be cheap but that’s beyond.

Are there any tricks or loopholes that may help me?
If not, any insurance recommendations or ways around this problem would be much appreciated

Footman james and adrian flux are no good unfortunately
Have you tried Comparethemarket.com? Add your mum as a named driver.

Hi , unfortunately you are not alone regarding high insurance quotes , I feel that they are saying that they do not want your business with the Mercedes.

I know members on here have given you advice on trying to circumvent your problems , age and little NCB but insurance companies are well aware of these !!

If I where in your shoes I would go face to face with a broker and explain your problem and see what they can come up to help you.

Remember to have to fill in an application form and sign it.

The game's moved on a bit in the UK. You can't buy 3rd party alone - it's always third party, fire and theft. But... sadly.. these days its pretty much the same cost as comprehensive cover, as the insurers don't want the fuss and risk of it.

They're being hit by genuine and not so genuine claims against young drivers, which make the 190E economically insurable for someone with one year's NCB, which is why all new young drivers are in 1.0 or 1.3 mass market small hatchbacks.

Sorry, but you need NCB and age. And even then you probably still need a low risk trade, another low risk person (woman) on the policy, AND a black box, AND restricted mileage AND a low risk area, AND a locked up garage.
TP and TPFT were offered decades ago as a way of getting cheap insurance, particularly if you drove a banger or couldn't afford fully comp. Savings were something like 50%. It was largely fazed out over the years and offered to drivers who were uninsurable fully comp- high risk for whatever reason. Presumably why TPFT is as expensive at fully comp. Now it seems that high risk is dealt with by gigantic premiums or refusal to quote.

A bit of relative info is needed for a comparison.

My first insurance TPTF on an 850 mini back in 86 was £400 which was approx 10 weeks gross wages (£39) at the time.
When i had the 190e it was £1750 fully comp and i was earning Gross £300 a week, so circa 6x

I use these comparisons when i talk with my younger friends and there kids, often they are insuring for a smaller mutiplier as there earnings are higher.

Now im in mid Fifties and if my premium is more than a weeks money im furious.
Motor insurance was always expensive in the past because there was not much choice in the market and premiums were regulated by the Motor Insurers Bureau . It's much cheaper now in relative terms due to the massive influx of competition in the market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom