Hunt for a classic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fudge1984

Car
SL350/S320CDI/CLS320/W124E220/FF RANGE OVERFINCH STYLED
Hi everyone, this is not a wanted classified ad!

just some advice from the experienced heads in the room. So this is the plan, tell me if I'm being silly or theres a better way of doing it:
1) Buy an Merc SEC (as close to 1991) with a solid engine, and as best bodywork as possible
2) Find an AMG body kit (replica is fine)
3) Paint the whole thing black to make nice and shiny (treating rust at the same time)
get something like this lol..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2wN0nL5zQA
4) Maybe, install an LPG system

questions, thoughts on installing a premium LPG being viable for a car that's going to do approx 3000 miles a year? (have r230 and w220 to entertain me too)
When I mention I would respray the car to friends it tends to get frowned upon, especially for resale purposes(not that i will sell it if all comes out well), is this true in your opinions
Am i looking for a needle in a haystack to get the AMG kit, clear lights etc?

many thanks for any input gents

Let's simplify things:

1) Buy an Merc SEC (as close to 1991) with a solid engine, and as best bodywork as possible.

Job done.

There's no need to spend extra money trying to look like Barry the wannabe gangsta.

Agreed,good luck finding one, what is your budget?

What is the point of installing LPG for 3k miles per year, i wouldnt bother.

haha whilst i agree about barry the gangster in most circumstances of people playing around with cars, the SEC model to me looks very bland without it, but the minute its on the car imo its one the best looking cars every made, it goes from one extreme to the other.

Mercedes Benz / 500 Sec AMG - Classic Pillarless Coupe For Restoration | eBay

could well be a great project but it has the older kit on, with the groves in the skirts, i think a few years later (84 i think) they made the kit smooth (gen2) which is the one

ps i agree with the LPG comment, will leave that idea alone

thanks for all the feedback guys, they hunt is well and truly on!

Good luck with the hunt and don't rush in to the first one you see ,,,
Yes it's a old A reg but I personally prefer the groves in the skirts , gave a bit more character , but that's only my thoughts lol , and welcome by the way

The rust along the bottom edge of the rear window makes me think that one will be absolutely rotten in the usual area and need major surgery there , along with the welding needed for the MOT and the obvious cosmetic work required , that one needs a lot spent just to make it useable .

The money would be better spent buying a better one .

Anything listed for restoration is a shed and should be scrapped.

Buy the best you can. If the body is poor the mechanicals and suspension will be too. The difference between a good one and a bad one in cost is far smaller than the restoration costs.

If you want to respray it, it's your car, but please do it well.

AMG stuff expensive and rare.

Forget LPG - if you are going to do a small amount of miles it won't make sense financially.

I have now restored two cars, both were not ones I set out to restore, and mechanically sorted a third that had been restored in body (not as well as it should be). Doing it properly is very expensive, Merc parts for these era cars are getting seriously dear. Cost everything before you buy a car. Run the car for some time before starting work - if you don't enjoy it before, you haven't got sucked in to a lot of expense.

Good hunting!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom