I changed my oil using the Lidl oil extractor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Drive by wire or drive by cable , pleased place your bets...

When ive changed oil in the past, I always pre soak the oil filter as otherwise when you start engine there’s no oil going through for a couple of seconds till it gets pulled through the filter.

On sale from Sunday 21st March, according to their website. Might just pop along there myself.

When ive changed oil in the past, I always pre soak the oil filter as otherwise when you start engine there’s no oil going through for a couple of seconds till it gets pulled through the filter.
I do the same.its a good idea
Mercedes dealerships consistently overfill during oil changes-due to residual oil left in the engine.
Yes, so its highly advisable to just put the 6 ltrs back in, drive it for a bit, then allow it to rest before checking the level, and topping up if it is necessary. Another thing to watch out for is an increased oil level due to unsuccessfull dpf regen attempts.

Was spurred on by this thread to have a go.

Just done my oil change with an extraction pump I purchased from Amazon (similar price to Lidl) and about 7.5-8 litres came out!

I have a c250 with an om651 engine. Bit worried now! :oops:

Was spurred on by this thread to have a go.

Just done my oil change with an extraction pump I purchased from Amazon (similar price to Lidl) and about 7.5-8 litres came out!

I have a c250 with an om651 engine. Bit worried now! :oops:
The om651 engine has 6.5 ltr capacity..how much did you fill it with? What I would do now is leave it rest overnight, and first thing tomorrow morning, I would check the level. There's a few reasons why you might extract more than the 6.5 ltrs. Lots of people drain the oil without monitoring the amount drained, and then refill with the 6.5 ltrs.But they may not have fully drained it..and after adding the 6.5 litres, they will have overfilled it. Personally, after draining it,I only fill 6 ltrs, then drive it, rest it overnight, and check in the morning . There's the possibility that fuel has entered the sump due to frequent dpf regeneration attempts...do a obd scan and find out when was the last regen..

The om651 engine has 6.5 ltr capacity..how much did you fill it with? What I would do now is leave it rest overnight, and first thing tomorrow morning, I would check the level. There's a few reasons why you might extract more than the 6.5 ltrs. Lots of people drain the oil without monitoring the amount drained, and then refill with the 6.5 ltrs.But they may not have fully drained it..and after adding the 6.5 litres, they will have overfilled it. Personally, after draining it,I only fill 6 ltrs, then drive it, rest it overnight, and check in the morning.
I haven't refilled yet as I had to take the other car to go pick the kids up from school. I intend on refilling this evening. Thanks for the tip 👍

Just popped 6L in and the dipstick is on max so will take it for a drive now and check in the morning.

Just popped 6L in and the dipstick is on max so will take it for a drive now and check in the morning.
Thats fine. One other thing, make sure that the car is 100% level when dipping it. Where I check mine is unlevel,and I use a jack to make sure that it is level, that's the difference it can make.

I’ve been using a 6ltr pela pump, more expensive but works off a vacuum. On the first three cars I still removed sump plug to see how much was left behind, didn’t need to worry as only a few drops came out. Common for marine engine use & found to be cheaper from marine suppliers. They do come in bigger & smaller sizer, they have a built in pouring spout & as above I decant into a 25ltr container & dispose of at local tip.
on my sons Qashqai with inverted oil filter, I punched a small hole in & suck out a fair bit of oil. It’s buried and always makes a mess when removed!

I am dumb about all this. what happens if the dpf dumps fuel in your oil how can that get out? does the car not tell you that you need to boot it on a ride? i'm lost with this new technology. so if your dipstick is showing level high do you suck the oil out or what? No wonder my hairs falling out.

I am dumb about all this. what happens if the dpf dumps fuel in your oil how can that get out? does the car not tell you that you need to boot it on a ride? i'm lost with this new technology. so if your dipstick is showing level high do you suck the oil out or what? No wonder my hairs falling out.
Yes that can happen when a regen starts but fails to complete repeatedly. During the regen, extra fuel is injected into the cylinders to raise the temperature during regen. And whats not burned, finds its way into the sump. A regen warning light on the dashboard indicating that a regen is taking place would solve a lot of regen issues..if it comes on,keep driving until it goes out. Unfortunately, the manufacturers don't fit these. With an iCarsoft obd scanner, you can check when the last regen took place, and it will also show the ash content %. Diesel engines require and love long motorway driving, and hate short start / stop trip's as they don't really get hot enough, especially when it comes to a regen. If I were you, I would change the oil and filter ASAP. Then check it once a week, and you'll know then what's happening.

I’ve been using a 6ltr pela pump, more expensive but works off a vacuum. On the first three cars I still removed sump plug to see how much was left behind, didn’t need to worry as only a few drops came out. Common for marine engine use & found to be cheaper from marine suppliers. They do come in bigger & smaller sizer, they have a built in pouring spout & as above I decant into a 25ltr container & dispose of at local tip.
on my sons Qashqai with inverted oil filter, I punched a small hole in & suck out a fair bit of oil. It’s buried and always makes a mess when removed!
I have a 10 ltr Draper pump, can be used manually or with the compressor. Thats a good idea for the metal type throwaway filters, but with the newer eco cartridge type, no choice but to unscrew it. I find that wrapping cloths around it helps reduce the mess. Skoda ( or any VAG engine) has a small drain plug on the filter body, which really helps . When sucking out the oil, I always make sure that the dipstick is at the lowest point possible..IE dipstick at front of engine, face car downhill. Etc.

With fully synthetic oil it still functions with diesel in it. If you do lot of short journeys keep an eye on it, when level rises change the oil. I had the 2.2D Mazda CX5, their mod was to put an extra level line with an ‘X’ on it about an inch above full mark. Always paranoid about checking oil & changing in good time, hence the Pela pump. Also, on the CX5 had to tell the ECU every time oil was replaced, lovel car and ride but an impractical pain if not doing regular long journey.

nd
With fully synthetic oil it still functions with diesel in it. If you do lot of short journeys keep an eye on it, when level rises change the oil. I had the 2.2D Mazda CX5, their mod was to put an extra level line with an ‘X’ on it about an inch above full mark. Always paranoid about checking oil & changing in good time, hence the Pela pump. Also, on the CX5 had to tell the ECU every time oil was replaced, lovel car and ride but an impractical pain if not doing regular long journey.
Personally, I would not be happy with anything diluting the engine oil, but especially diesel, even in Fully Synthetic long life oil. But thats just me. Root cause of diesel in the sump is uncompleted regens, and this could be sorted if the manufacturers included a regen warning icon on the dash. With MB DPF regen, the rear screen heater is activated, and I've heard of people jury-rigging an additional light connected to the heated screen cable, so they know when a regen is taking place. They then simply drive on until the light goes out, indicating that the regen is complete. With the Mazda 2.2 diesel engines , there seems to be a hereditary oil level problem, and frequent oil changes seem to be the order of the day. Regarding increasing the oil level in the sump by an inch, I would not be a fan...when I change the oil in my 220 E class, if it is even fractionally above the max level, I will siphon enough out so that it is a few centimetres below the max mark. Do you find that 7'000 change intervals solves the problem for you? For sure, they are a lovely looking car,and I've been tempted in the past, but the oil issue always dissuaded me. On the other hand, the Mazda petrol engines are bullet proof. But tyhe bottom line is, unless you are doing high mileage, better stick to petrol engines for more peace of mind and less hassle,

I totally agree, the number of times it started a regen, no dash indication, just difference in engine note and excessive exhaust smoke led me to an unwanted trip up the motorway. I loved the car but sold it on, unfortunately I wanted the AWD & it was not a petrol option.
With an engineering background allowing engine oil to be diluted by diesel just seemed wrong, if it went slightly above max, I changed it. Once, only two weeks father it’s major service.
Manufacturers should build in a warning/countdown so a suitable journey can be added to achieve DPF regen.

Massively flawed system along with the egr .

Most makes don't have the better solution of the '5th injector' just before the dpf , this solves the multiple failed interrupted regens dumping fuel thus oil dilution .

Diesel wrecks the lubricity properties of the oil , you only have to see what it does to tarmac !

I remember one story where the bloke was tearing his hair out , he'd lost 10 mpg , the oil was rising all the time and the car a taxi and so his livelihood was spending lots of time at the clueless dealers , dpf , dpf pressure sensor , turbo , etc all replaced under warranty but still it went on .

In the end it was a simple ecu software update fix , but by then the big ends were rattling .

nd
. With MB DPF regen, the rear screen heater is activated,
Why?
The only reason I can think of so that the driver can see the smoke being emitted during re-gen but I'm pretty sure that isn't the reason!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom