• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Does it matter which oil brand

How effective are those oil pumps? Never bothered DIYing the oil change as my driveway is slanted. Are those pumps effective at getting most of the oil out?
I used one on my previous E320 CDI and removed around 8. 3 litres of the 8.5 litres.

Going to brave my own oil change on my S204 following an oil-pump purchase from Lidl.

What I will say about the Lidl pumps is do some prep on the plastic tubes well before you start. They come quite tightly coiled so warm them up and try to get them as straight as you can. Makes life a lot easier.

How effective are those oil pumps? Never bothered DIYing the oil change as my driveway is slanted. Are those pumps effective at getting most of the oil out?
My drive is slanted , I do both sump drain or pump depending on weather or how I feel .
Here’s an action shot for you :)
IMG_0983.jpeg

Something that E55BOF mentioned if using an extraction pump that is important, ensure the oil is warmed up before draining.
Maybe obvious, but easily forgotten using the pump for the first time.

I used one on my previous E320 CDI and removed around 8. 3 litres of the 8.5 litres.

Keeping in mind that not all of the un-syphoned oil will be found at the bottom of the oil sump (and would have therefore potentially been drained if using the drain plug method) - some of the oil remains around various engine parts and will not be removed in any event (unless you remove the drain plus and leave the car like that overnight).

Changing the oil in 15 mins, (including filter change ) using electric pump method is the way to go as long as flushing is not required. I think the consensus on flushing being necessary is dependant on how many miles between oil changes. I think that if every 6000 miles covered the oil gets changed whilst wearing your suit instead of overalls would stop people putting it off their oil change and shortening the engine's life!

Changing the oil in 15 mins, (including filter change ) using electric pump method is the way to go as long as flushing is not required. I think the consensus on flushing being necessary is dependant on how many miles between oil changes. I think that if every 6000 miles covered the oil gets changed whilst wearing your suit instead of overalls would stop people putting it off their oil change and shortening the engine's life!
Welcome to the forum!

Oil changes at more than 6000 miles (in line with manufacturers recommended intervals) do not shorten engine life.

I have run cars to 224,000 and 182,000 miles (Audi petrol and Mercedes diesel) with the oil changed in my and previous ownership at the recommend intervals with no issues.

Both cars had quiet and smooth running engines with very low oil consumption when sold.

Keeping in mind that not all of the un-syphoned oil will be found at the bottom of the oil sump (and would have therefore potentially been drained if using the drain plug method)
Unless the boss for the drain plug's upper surface is flush with the sump floor. there will be oil left behind. A pump can pick that oil off the sump floor.

- some of the oil remains around various engine parts and will not be removed in any event (unless you remove the drain plus and leave the car like that overnight).
Very, very little. Even an automatic transmission where there are oil filled chambers won't hold back much. Certainly not enough to be of the slightest concern.

Very, very little. Even an automatic transmission where there are oil filled chambers won't hold back much. Certainly not enough to be of the slightest concern.
Agreed.

+1 for Opie.

I’ve just ordered an oil test kit, it seems they have a tie in with Millers Oils for the analysis. I actually ordered through Millers but the confirmation came from Opie. Tip: if you order through Millers you can get 24hr delivery for the same price as 48hr if you order through Opie.

I’ve been using this on both my Mercs for years now, bargain price at £19.
Approved to VW 507 which is apparently very good.

Mannol 5 Liter Longlife 504/507 5W-30 Engine Oil C3 Universal Fully Synthetic https://amzn.eu/d/j2Ulgbo

Attachments

• IMG_0108.png
    IMG_0108.png
    477.3 KB · Views: 3
Duplicated

Last edited:
I’ve been using this on both my Mercs for years now, bargain price at £19.
Approved to VW 507 which is apparently very good.

Mannol 5 Liter Longlife 504/507 5W-30 Engine Oil C3 Universal Fully Synthetic https://amzn.eu/d/j2Ulgbo

Interestingly, they were under investigation regarding this a few years back, but were cleared of any wrongdoing:

Y
Interestingly, they were under investigation regarding this a few years back, but were cleared of any wrongdoing:

Yes i did read that, it was proved that Mannol did get VW approval on that product.

I've been using an electric pump for ages now to change oil every 8k. When it feels empty, I pour some left over unused oil down the filter housing as well as top of engine and let that settle for a few mins, then extract it. It comes out really clean and cleans the tubes - also perhaps shows that not much oil was left in the sump.
I've also been using MB oil from MB Newcastle and MB filters

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom