• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

I had an inspection today at work ..... EV charging points was on the report!

Change your insurer.

As time goes by, views of acceptable risk change.

I’m sure many will know this Shell petrol station built underneath a very, very expensive block of multimillion pound flats near Baker Street station on the Marylebone Road.

Would never be countenanced today, but “made sense” Before The War.

View attachment 149724

There are a few of these around apparently. This one is in Sloane Avenue:

Screenshot-20231122-092654-Maps.jpg

If you do want to challenge your insurance inspector, you might want to mention that Westfield Hammersmith has 24 Tesla Superchargers close to one another in the enclosed car park under its shops.

And these are very very high power chargers, not the little things that you’ll be running

IMG_1889.jpeg

If you do want to challenge your insurance inspector, you might want to mention that Westfield Hammersmith has 24 Tesla Superchargers close to one another in the enclosed car park under its shops.

And these are very very high power chargers, not the little things that you’ll be running

View attachment 149762
Westfield Hammersmith?? Where is that?

What power output are Superchargers up to now?

I noticed that the American electric HGVs mentioned recently in the 'facts' thread use 350 kW chargers ... I guess they must have pretty huge batteries.

I noticed that the American electric HGVs mentioned recently in the 'facts' thread use 350 kW chargers ... I guess they must have pretty huge batteries.
V3s are 250kW peak, V2s are 150kW peak.

View attachment 149762
and Canary Wharf Canada Square has loads on floor -3… Brent Cross has a couple, INTU Derby has loads in their multi story, the list goes on and on…

an insurer we worked with for years all of a sudden has an odd requirement at renewal time
This reminds me of the olden days when you went for an Mot, track rod end was a favourite or some minor suspension, or brake work that was not really worth taking it away to do yourself

Westfield's are 125kwh.

There are certainly 250KwH Tesla superchargers around now.

We have 5 Nissan eNV200 vans which all suckle from the power supply from our 4 INDUSTRIAL units, every single one on the units is now maxed out - another high speed scanner would trip the fuses.

We use three phase and the chargers are only around 10KwH draw.

One thing people seem to overlook is the fact that our older vans can charge up from around 10% to full capacity in three hours, the newer vans take twice that. Something to consider when 'upgrading' to bigger battery powered vehicles and so say more range. The gains are not proportionate to the charge times and the cost for the new vehicles.

Still waiting for the delivery of the new Townstars ( The new eNV200 ) ....

250kw load must use some serious cabling!!!
Do you mean the cabling to the actual units? or between the stall and the car? The cable from stall to car is actually very light and practical to use (liquid cooled). The cabling that’s underground between the units is indeed very thick.

I was referring to the cabling to the charger underground.....but yes the cables that come with most cars are pretty thin looking...surprised they can handle 250kw.

I was referring to the cabling to the charger underground.....but yes the cables that come with most cars are pretty thin looking...surprised they can handle 250kw.
The supercharger cables are fixed to the stall, they are liquid cooled. I think you’re thinking of the UMC ‘granny’ cables that come with the cars? These can only do 7kW or 11kW at the most (with 3PH adaptor).

There are also 350kW chargers in the UK and Europe, but my car can only charge at 220kW max (according to the specsheet - never actually tried it...).

See also:

We must all bear in mind that “nominal” max charge rates are just that.

Charge rates drop for many different reasons, just like your home inter web or external 5g signal rates.

Only idjits want to drive 400 miles, stop for five minutes and then drive on another 400 miles.

In the real world we’re more likely to just add another 150 and then drive on.

(Don’t mention restricted range in cold temperatures)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom