• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

I had an inspection today at work ..... EV charging points was on the report!

We must all bear in mind that “nominal” max charge rates are just that.

Charge rates drop for many different reasons, just like your home inter web or external 5g signal rates.

Only idjits want to drive 400 miles, stop for five minutes and then drive on another 400 miles.

In the real world we’re more likely to just add another 150 and then drive on.

(Don’t mention restricted range in cold temperatures)

You can get the maximum charging speed by using a battery pre-heater, but it's a PTC heater so robs you of mileage on your way the charging point. EVs do have route/charging optimisation , but it's not a simple algorithm.

Its all too complicated for me. I will just stick to pulling a trigger thing which is attached to a hose & watching the numbers click up. Done in a minute or so then drive away for a few hundred miles, then repeat.:rolleyes::banana:

Stopped at South Mimms on the M25 en route to Aylesbury a week or so ago, and the blue badge spaces were opposite the E chargers. Chatted to a couple of guys charging up - both complained about slow speed of charging and 1 - with an Army car - gave up and headed off without a full recharge. As mentioned above, much easier and quicker to pull into a filling station, add 50+ltrs of diesel in a few minutes and head off with 600 mile range!!

You'll see that Westfield's are in a sprinklered area
If they are smart they will have a medium foam mix (there is a specific one developed) in line for this zone that will smother the fire (on petrol or lithium). Some mods needed but the tech is progressing

There will be all sorts of other mitigation actions, but that's an effective one.

You'll see that Westfield's are in a sprinklered area
If they are smart they will have a medium foam mix (there is a specific one developed) in line for this zone that will smother the fire (on petrol or lithium). Some mods needed but the tech is progressing

There will be all sorts of other mitigation actions, but that's an effective one.

Lithium batteries don't require external oxygen to burn, so you can't smother them with foam:

You can get the maximum charging speed by using a battery pre-heater, but it's a PTC heater so robs you of mileage on your way the charging point. EVs do have route/charging optimisation , but it's not a simple algorithm.
Understood re pre-heating but it is more complicated than that for the Tesla. Supply load issues and source “sharing” can affect flow, and obviously you get peak flow when charging a depleted battery which then slows as you get beyond the 80% level.

I wonder if anybody has worked out the depreciation of their EV while it is being charged for a hour or so for it to run another 250 miles .

I wonder if anybody has worked out the depreciation of their EV while it is being charged for a hour or so for it to run another 250 miles .
Fascinating that people still can't get their head around how EV top up works.

This failure to educate and inform has to be the biggest failure of the EU regulators and the manufacturers.

Stopped at South Mimms on the M25 en route to Aylesbury a week or so ago, and the blue badge spaces were opposite the E chargers. Chatted to a couple of guys charging up - both complained about slow speed of charging and 1 - with an Army car - gave up and headed off without a full recharge. As mentioned above, much easier and quicker to pull into a filling station, add 50+ltrs of diesel in a few minutes and head off with 600 mile range!!
Would it be easier and quicker to start every morning with 300 miles of range from overnight charging at a fifth or even a tenth of the cost of diesel ?

What kind of people fill up with diesel, electricity or food at a motorway service station anyway?

Do they not know about cost and performance?

That’s because those are the crap 50kW 🐌 chargers…

One can only piss with the **** that one has.
There are Applegreen 150kW units on site too, and of course the Tesla superchargers (but highly likely they were in another marque EV anyway so not relevant).

I’m assuming they were using the rubbish Gridserve 50kW units which are closest to the entrance.

There are Applegreen 150kW units on site too, and of course the Tesla superchargers (but highly likely they were in another marque EV anyway so not relevant).

I’m assuming they were using the rubbish Gridserve 50kW units which are closest to the entrance.
I didn’t know that Teslas had their own dedicated chargers or that there are different types of chargers depending on the kW.

What’s the score with all of that. The higher the kW the quicker the charge and then no doubt the price?

That’s because those are the crap 50kW 🐌 chargers…
Talking of which, I saw today that MB World at Weybridge has FREE 50kwh chargers (2 hours only - for use by anyone who rocks up)

Are they any good?

Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 18.14.36.png

Talking of which, I saw today that MB World at Weybridge has FREE 50kwh chargers (2 hours only - for use by anyone who rocks up)

Are they any good?

View attachment 149831
Well yeah, seeing as you’ll be visiting for an hour at least.

I didn’t know that Teslas had their own dedicated chargers or that there are different types of chargers depending on the kW.

What’s the score with all of that. The higher the kW the quicker the charge and then no doubt the price?
Tesla have an exclusive network (which they are slowly opening up) - they are pretty much the most reliable network overall and also extremely competitively priced.

Rapid chargers tend to be more expensive than slower ones in general.

I filled up with derv on Monday in Manchester then drove to Gosport and back via Cosham. Only thing I stopped for was a brew and I still have 1/4 tank of said devil juice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom