I managed to stall my auto...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bloodmoon

Car
C270 CDI Avantgarde
Wasn't going to mention this (partly out of embarassment) but I thought I would throw it at the forum anyway:

A couple of days ago, I managed to stall my 300CE-24. The aircon was on full whack, my headlamps were on and the car was at rest. I shifted from P to R (I was in a car park) and lo and behold, the engine cut out!

Now please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought it was nigh on impossible to stall an automatic.

Is this an early warning (the car is 13 years old) of something about to fail?

--
Antony

Was the car fully warmed up? You did have a heavy load though on the engine and alternator.

That happened to me on dare i say it ( a Ford Granada) starting away from traffic lights, do don't arf feel a wallance

Originally posted by Paul
Was the car fully warmed up? You did have a heavy load though on the engine and alternator.
The car was also full of passengers, some of whom were heavier loads than others ;)

Were you on full steering lock too? Full lock would mean the power steering going full wack - normally sees a drop in revs too.

Let's see, the car had been running for about half an hour or so, full complement of dead-weight (read: passengers), and a reasonable amount of demand was placed on the engine.

I am guessing it is a combination of all the points raised here that caused the engine to stall.

I guess even the big straight 6's have trouble sometimes :)

Not much of an issue, the car runs like a charm otherwise.

Thanks for the input.

--
Ant

Originally posted by robert.farmer
That happened to me on dare i say it ( a Ford Granada) starting away from traffic lights, do don't arf feel a wallance

Hehe, you felt like a wally because you were driving a Ford Granada? or because you actually managed to stall it at the lights?

Admittedly, those 2.8 Granadas go for peanuts, and are probably a lot better than a good number of dross out there. The same can be said for the old 3ltr Senators I suppose. Having never driven either, I really can't comment on how they measure up.

--
Antony

Antony, the answer to your statement is both, although i did have it for 8 years and loved it to death, sorry to see it go, me and Granny went through a lot together, towing caravans everywhere, rust and bad electrics which no one could cure made me change, mainly the rust, still no regrets, i like my Merc, lecky probs with that too, but they are gradually being sorted with the help of some very good advice from members of this forum.

<nod> I am actually amazed by the depth of knowledge that exists on the forum, and also with how friendly everybody is towards each other.

I have browsed other forums targetted at hot-hatch/boy racer cars (I share an office with car lovers) and I was surprised to see rather a lot of flaming going on between members. No chance of that here though.

mbclub - A nice place to be :)

--
Antony

Originally posted by bloodmoon
mbclub - A nice place to be :)
Brings a tear to the corner of your eye doesn't it? Well, it does mine! :D

I agree with Bloodmoon, Nice place to be and helpfull souls too.

Originally posted by robert.farmer
They don't even take the micky out of my typpiinngg, either.

Who doesn't?:D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom