Improptu GTG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Originally posted by Richard W
Cheers guys,

As it's a BMW does it mean I suddenly start driving like a tos%er?

R

Congrats on the new motor!

And don't worry about suddenly starting to drive like a tos%er - I found that it takes at least a couple of weeks to develop the full monty 'push em off my road' BMW attitude.......:devil:

Cheers guys,

As it's a BMW does it mean I suddenly start driving like a tos%er?

The car is staright from the lease company, a little high mileage for a 2001 (51k) but it is a facelift model (150 bhp...) and has all the toys, cruise, 6 CD, PDC, all electrics, 16" alloys etc etc. My wife will be driving it most of the time so in 2 years it'll be normal mileage again.

Did it come with the optional indicators? I heard its not a very desirable option for second hand BMW's.

Don't forget having those fog lights on in day light will give you an extra 10bhp!

You guys are terrible!

AdBMW.jpg

The trouble with piloting the ultimate driving machine is that you get a lot of people trying to be the ultimate driver.

If they want to pass, let them go, but if your grandad mobile (probably their view - not mine) has enough grunt to waste 'em then go for it, will result in big smile on face!

Me thinks Ed has not suffered to much from being "wasted" though :D

Originally posted by GrahamC230K

Me thinks Ed has not suffered to much from being "wasted" though :D [/B]

Have to say that this hasn't been a problem so far!!!:rock:

I would also like to point out that apart from a couple of boy racers driving 1.0L Clios and a complete nutter in a 406 Diesel, the only people who have tried it on have been Mercedes drivers!!! Was made a bit more interesting in that the 2 who have wanted to play were an old (but very smart) 500E, and a new style SL500 (must be something about V8 Merc drivers!). Apologies to them both for rising to the challenge and demonstrating that I wan't in a 316i with a bodykit......

Would still have traded places with the SL500 though - nice!!!
:cool:

Yes, must admit to giving an XR2 driver a fright during the test drive........

.......I did use the indicators:D

We were chatting in the pub about the old Merc v BMW discussions, My feeling is that if you take two equivalent models and put them on a track there won't be much between. It comes down to preference for 'feel'.

The Merc to me is a fabulously comfortable, well built and relaxing car with great handling. The BMW is a great handling car which is also well built and comfortable.......

It's also that this time the BMW is affordable - the closest W203 220 CDi (T) that I could find was £19k......;)

R

Last edited:
Yes, must admit to giving an XR2 driver a fright during the test drive........

.......I did use the indicators:D

We were chatting in the pub about the old Merc v BMW discussions, My feeling is that if you take two equivalent models and put them on a track there won't be much between. It comes down to preference for 'feel'.

The Merc to me is a fabulously comfortable, well built and relaxing car with great handling. The BMW is a great handling car which is also well built and comfortable.......

It's also that this time the BMW is affordable - the closest W203 220 CDi (T) that I could find was £19k......;)

R

I test drove an '01 318i BMW estate while I was searching around for mine ..... on the test drive that I had I found the seats to be just a little bit too firm - not too comfy for shorter journeys but I daresay they would have been nice and supportive for longer trips. Handling was definitely excellent and steering much more precise than the W202. The MB won overall on the price & mileage for me at the time as well - so the decision was made !, (as well as having a few extras that I wanted! )

Sounds like you got a good deal anyway, so enjoy the car (when you get to drive it!!)

S.

don't forget to read the special BMW drivers highway code which should have been supplied with your vehicle.

1, It has a whole different set of speed limits

2, apparently you can park anywhere (even in bus lanes)

3, there is only one lane on motorways and no one else is allowed in it if you want to use it

4, red traffic lights only apply to other makes of car as do yellow "box" junctions.

Obviously there are more but you will probably be sworn to secrecy on which points you can reveal :)

Andy

Andy,

You forgot the radar guided cruise control that means you can travel only 3' off the bumper of the car in front....:D

R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom