Injector cleaner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The BMW appears to have covered 100,000 miles.

Another vote for two or three tanks of premium fuel rather than a separate additive. If yours is diesel, some (most?) of the premium diesels have higher cetane rating than the standard fuel.
Cetane number isn't as important to diesel engines as octane quality is for gasoline engines. It helps with combustion noise, but doesn't add much by way of performance. The main difference for premium diesels is the additive package(s).

Another vote for two or three tanks of premium fuel rather than a separate additive. If yours is diesel, some (most?) of the premium diesels have higher cetane rating than the standard fuel.

And what are those Cetane numbers...

And what are those Cetane numbers...
At least 51 to be EN:590 compliant. Some diesel fuels have GTL (gas to liquid) components included. GTL can be around 60 cetane, but typically has lower density. So the blended fuel can be higher than 51 but have a lower density than the same base fuel without GTL. A major advantage of GTL is that it burns very cleanly, so reduced particulates in the exhaust. Also 2-EHN can be included in the additive package which raises the cetane number, though it's not as effective as 'natural' cetane.

Well without the Cetane number being disclosed on the pump premium diesel is all a bit of a..

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

All very confusing. :oops: :oops:

It's quite straightforward, really.... your are options are as follows (in this order of cheapest to most expensive):

- You can just use the standard (cheapest) fuel at the pumps, and do nothing else.
or
- You can use the standard fuel as above, but from time to time add fuel system cleaner / injector cleaner additive (Forte/Redex/BG44K/Miller etc).
or
- You can use premium fuels, either regularly or just from time to time, in which case no further additives are needed because the additives already come with the fuel.

Octane and Cetane numbers are not really relevant for the purpose of this discussion.

The main advantage of using premium fuels over adding the additives yourself to standard fuel, is that when using fuel with the additive already mixed by the fuel supplier, you can be certain it will have the right concentration (ratio of additive to fuel), so no mishaps.

Any ratio to mix is simple , my 10 year old nephew is doing harder maths I assure you.

Easiest is premixed in used 250ml Redex bottles , 40ml of this , 200 ml of that..

Cetane is relevant and it will lessen soot for the inlet and dpf .

Any ratio to mix is simple , my 10 year old nephew is doing harder maths I assure you.

Easiest is premixed in used 250ml Redex bottles , 40ml of this , 200 ml of that..

Cetane is relevant and it will lessen soot for the inlet and dpf .

I've been using Redex for many years - before premium fuels became available - and I can assure you it's not that simple.

It's fine if you always run the fuel tank completely dry before the next filling-up...

I have often found myself at the pumps at a motorway services, trying to guess how many litres of fuel I have left in the tank, calculating the amount of additive needed based on the recommended ratio, and then trying to work-out how many milliliter is each notch on the bottle... without my reading glasses and often not with the best lighting conditions.

Not to mention fumbling with the bottle and funnel and then having to put the funnel away in a plastic bag to avoid the strong naphtha smell spreading in the car.

Not an insurmountable task, granted, and one which I have done for over 20 years, but it was quite a relief when premium fuels became available I didn't need to do that any more.

I've been using Redex for many years - before premium fuels became available - and I can assure you it's not that simple.

It's fine if you always run the fuel tank completely dry before the next filling-up...

I have often found myself at the pumps at a motorway services, trying to guess how many litres of fuel I have left in the tank, calculating the amount of additive needed based on the recommended ratio, and then trying to work-out how many milliliter is each notch on the bottle... without my reading glasses and often not with the best lighting conditions.

Not to mention fumbling with the bottle and funnel and then having to put the funnel away in a plastic bag to avoid the strong naphtha smell spreading in the car.

Not an insurmountable task, granted, and one which I have done for over 20 years, but it was quite a relief when premium fuels became available I didn't need to do that any more.

Thanks for your help again Markjay. 👍

I'm registering a quarter tank now so I'll fill up with premium diesel and do this every third tankful or so.

Wow talk about overcomplicating things , what's the funnel for as I find the neck of the Redex bottles to fit in just fine on 4 cars .

With Redex injector cleaner it just simply says use half a bottle ( marked on side ) before or after when you fill up the tank , so you can do this at the pump or at home , no ml this or that or precise dilution ratios .

All very simple .

I hope the overcomplicating issues don't extend to other simple tasks like going to the toilet etc.

I used Redex on my Vauxhaull Omega Elite years ago (the one with the straight 6 BMW engine in it) I just used to bang half a bottle in every now and again. I did 35000 - 40000 miles a year in it . no problems. 🤷‍♂️.

My C55 ? just whatever premium fuel they have at whatever petrol station I happen to be in. My ancient Iveco van ? any old Derv with a healthy slug of two stroke oil mixed in. Job done.

I used Redex on my two Omegas which I ran from 1998 to 2008.

With the Redex bottle that was available at the time I needed to use a funnel (in spite of the bottle having a long neck) and the bottle had notches with instructions regarding quantity in ml per litre of fuel.

Of course things may have changed since, or perhaps you are a better man than I.

I don't ever remember using a funnel, these were the Redex bottles with the long skinny neck and the tiny screw cap . 🤷‍♂️ Thats pretty much the identical time frame I ran my 3 Omegas . Elite/CDX/Elite.

Massively underrated cars. Could devour motorway miles as good as anything from BMW/MB any day.

I fill up at Tesco and each tankful gets a half bottle of diesel Redex which I always buy a couple of boxes of when it's on half price at that store. With Redex in the tank it's very hard to make my e280 cdi smoke, same in the 220 cdi.

I don't ever remember using a funnel, these were the Redex bottles with the long skinny neck and the tiny screw cap . 🤷‍♂️ Thats pretty much the identical time frame I ran my 3 Omegas . Elite/CDX/Elite.

Massively underrated cars. Could devour motorway miles as good as anything from BMW/MB any day.
Horrible things! I only ever had one and it was the most expensive to maintain car. I ever owned. Part exed it for an E300 tdi with 220k on the clock and I've been driving Mercs ever since ( 20 years )
Thanks also to Ian at Star Motors!

It's fine if you are planning on emptying the entire bottle into the tank... but with the earlier bottles with the ml notches on the side, it was very difficult to get just the right amount in, with the bottle upside down in the filler neck. The funnel allowed me to keep the bottle horizontal and slowly pour exactly the quantity I wanted. I think they later changed the formula and you were supposed to empty the whole bottle into the tank. But perhaps not everyone is as meticulous as I was in getting the exact concentration as per instructions....

Horrible things! I only ever had one and it was the most expensive to maintain car. I ever owned. Part exed it for an E300 tdi with 220k on the clock and I've been driving Mercs ever since ( 20 years )

Hmm... I had a 1997 2.5 V6 and then a 2001 2.6 V6 CDX. Lovely cars... obviously they did not match my Toyota for reliability, but they weren't too bad either and dealer servicing was cheap. You got a lot of car for your money with the Omega... old school RWD exec saloon. Like the Granada/Scorpio, they don't make 'em anymore, only 'posh' marques these days. If they hadn't stopped making them, I might have never bought my first Merc back in 2008...

You must have bought a bad one , not looking at it properly before you paid out . I had 3 , put stella miles on all of them. The first one (Elite) with the straight six BMW diesel in it was the best. Never stopped , never broke down had every single bell and whistle . I must admit I was nervous when I bought it (used from a main dealer) about all the toys on it possibly breaking down, never happened.

You must have bought a bad one , not looking at it properly before you paid out . I had 3 , put stella miles on all of them. The first one (Elite) with the straight six BMW diesel in it was the best. Never stopped , never broke down had every single bell and whistle . I must admit I was nervous when I bought it (used from a main dealer) about all the toys on it possibly breaking down, never happened.
When I was looking for one all my mates said make sure to get the 3 litre, so, of course I bought a 2.5!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom