• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Inside of the power steering expansion tank no one bothers to replace

Petrol Pete

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon
Many older MB cars have this (or similar) in the power steering system , this being a 2006 C class . It's not just an expansion tank it is a throw away service item with an inbuilt filter . It can be bought for around £25 and is held in by one bolt , one pipe clamp and a outlet pipe clip , basically an easy service item that is often overlooked .

PS filter.JPG cut ps.JPG

Did mine a few days ago , I replaced the rotten fluid some years back but not the filter , not going to post how to do it , loads of info already on line . Bottom line is that it takes about a leisurely 90 minutes to replace filter and fluid.

The most annoying thing (on my car) is that it takes just over one litre to make the change , leaving an almost a full bottle of fluid to sit o the shelf. Still , its cheaper than having to buy a new steering rack .

is this the same bottle for W202 C43 AMG?
I have replaced power steering oil but never a filter inside

I have a Febi PAS fluid tank ready to fit to my CLK. I read somewhere about the filter in the tank. I wonder if the Febi one has a filter ? If not there is no point in me changing it. The fluid has been changed, I have a spare tin to do another change.

Not sure , but it sure is a service item , cheap , one bolt , 2 pipe clips (the feed pipe is quick release).

If it's Febi (like my replacement one ) it's a direct 'copy' of the MB one , Febi might even make it for them . Either way the one you see cut open in my first post is a Genuine MB one off my car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom