• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Insurance DL vs elephant vs L&V

Alfie

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
W169 A, W205 C, R172 SLC, W447 vantastic
Just had my insurance renewal in for next month. As I'm probably going to sell the car soon, it wont be too much of an issue however I thought i'd just run through the usual exercise of comparing quotes.

Present policy comprehensive on the ML £357 with direct line.

Renewal price from Direct line; £306 :)
Directline (New quotation on-line) £301 ;)
Elephant £368 :(
Liverpool and Victoria £532 :eek:
Esure £354 :(

I reckon that £306 is pretty good. athough the savings this year between renewal price and new quote price not nearly so great. Me thinks they have caught on to that trick. ;)

Alfie said:
I reckon that £306 is pretty good. athough the savings this year between renewal price and new quote price not nearly so great. Me thinks they have caught on to that trick. ;)

Hi Alfie,
We have only just renewed our insurance with Directline. The renewal premium was £401 with all the add-on options. I then went on-line and obtained a quote for exactly the same vehicle with exactly the same options and it quoted £361.

I telephoned Directline, they confirmed my what and revised the price accordingly. Thus a five minute telephone call saved £40.

I suppose in fairness to Directline the quote I obtained stated it included a 10% introductory discount! But if they had wriigled, I would have cancelled the old policy that had one day left, (or just let it lapse) and then taken out the new policy.

Edit:
£279 for a standard ML320 without any of your modifications.

Regards,
John

Last edited:
glojo said:
Hi Alfie,
We have only just renewed our insurance with Directline. The renewal premium was £401 with all the add-on options. I then went on-line and obtained a quote for exactly the same vehicle with exactly the same options and it quoted £361.

I telephoned Directline, they confirmed my what and revised the price accordingly. Thus a five minute telephone call saved £40.

I suppose in fairness to Directline the quote I obtained stated it included a 10% introductory discount! But if they had wriigled, I would have cancelled the old policy that had one day left, (or just let it lapse) and then taken out the new policy.

Edit:
£279 for a standard ML320 without any of your modifications.

Regards,
John

Must be age or area as my 'mods' are all factory fit so I dont need to declare them. I dont think Directline can be beaten at the moment...unless of course anyone knows otherwise!!!!

Alfie said:
Must be age or area as my 'mods' are all factory fit so I dont need to declare them. I dont think Directline can be beaten at the moment...unless of course anyone knows otherwise!!!!
Your options aren't actually insured though, if the car's totalled they base the value on glasses guide and that's it, no matter what options are on it, an ML is an ML is an ML.
Alfie said:
I dont think Directline can be beaten at the moment...unless of course anyone knows otherwise!!!!
I was with Directline for a few years but Norwich Union wanted £300 less and DL said they couldn't do anything about the premium, so I changed, naturally! Customer loyalty means nothing in the insurance world it seems! :(
Maff said:
Have you tried Tesco's ? (Also part of DirectLine)
Tescos are underwritten by the same company as Directline, Directline used to be their own underwriter but they got divested from British Insurance Ltd. Still basically the same thing though :)

Hi all,

Got a quote for my ML of £384.30 (London suburbs) from DL. £30 or so more expensive from Churchill. Thus over 3 years premium has gone from £520ish to less than £400 :bannana:.

This is even more significant :devil: considering the mayhem these vehicles are causing everyday on our roads :rolleyes: .

Cheers :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom