Insurance question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

c63chris

MB Enthusiast
Car
SL63 + BMW 335d Touring
I know we have a lot of knowledge on the forum so hopefully someone will know the answer to this. To cut a long story short I have set up on my own. Have just got my first contract. It's 6months and means I will be staying away during the week as its too far to commute. My question regards the car insurance. It's based on the car being kept at home overnight in the garage. Looks like I will be away 4 nights a week with the car. Should I tell my instance company and if so what as I don't know where I will be staying. Looking like random AirBnBs ATM to keep costs down. Thanks in advance.

"It's based on the car being kept at home overnight in the garage. "

Since you've asked the question, you already know the answer, yes disclose any information that may impact your cover.

Maybe your premium will change, it may have no effect but at least you've covered yourself.

Ok...just a thought.

If the car is insured to commute to a place of work and back....then the fact you have to stay overnight at, or near the place of work means the car will be with you overnight and not at home.

So I would have thought you have got car insurance for pretty much that reason. It only goes home when you do, and when you are at home, it stays in the garage etc.

However, when it goes to work it goes with you too.

Interesting question......at least it is to me.....mind you, I work away as well. But the car stays at home.

OK. Another thought. I'm going away on holiday for 3 months touring EU. I have up to 6 months EU cover - you have 12 months UK cover. Do I need to tell my insurer I'll be away?

If so when does the statute of time become declarable? 2 weeks? 3 ,4 ??

There are usually specific questions about where the car will be kept overnight (regardless of whether you have cover for commuting to work or not). There may be something in the T&Cs about how often it can be elsewhere, e.g. using the car to go on holiday for 2 weeks will never be an issue. But being away from home 4 nights a week for 6 months is definitely something you would want to talk to the insurer about and I would expect to see a premium hike compared to it being safely locked up in your garage at home.

Is the car insured for business use? Not sure what the position would be if self-employed and working away from home ... this might not be treated as 'commuting'.

Thanks for the replies guys. The car has business use insurance and has always had that. I've already told them I will be doing more miles which upped the premium. The issue I have is I will be at addresses unknown over the next 6 months. When it's home it's locked in the garage.

I think the best solution is talk to the insurance company.

Of course you could risk it and argue it with them when you need to claim £45,000 for a missing car they refuse to pay out on due to undisclosed information???

When it's home it's locked in the garage.
Interesting conversation with insurance company earlier this week - in a low risk area insurance is cheaper if the car is kept overnight on private drive rather than in garage.
Reason given is that they get claims for cars damaged going in & out of garage doors and risk of dropping things (like a can of paint) on a car in a garage................

The other reason I heard is that it's easier for a criminal to work on a car unseen inside a garage.

The other reason I heard is that it's easier for a criminal to work on a car unseen inside a garage.

I know what you mean, I had a criminal work on my S class in a garage. He changed the strut and the new one was never right either!

I know what you mean, I had a criminal work on my S class in a garage. He changed the strut and the new one was never right either!

Hopefully, the right one has been correctly bought since!

Look at it from the insurers point of view -
A customer says that they live in a nice quiet place in the Sussex countryside, and their policy is rated accordingly. - One morning the customer rings their insurance company to say that their vehicle was stolen from a road in a big nasty city, sometime between 8pm and 7am ... Imagine the rest of the conversation -

Alternatively, how would you set a premium for somebody who says that their vehicle could be kept anywhere when it is not being used overnight ?

If you are insured with Zurich, I suggest you Google 'Zurich Garaging endorsement' - I just randomly chose Zurich, other insurers may have a similar endorsement.

StuartK - Robbery is when somebody takes something. Insurance is a case of - You get to choose to whom you give your money :) Think of it more as compulsorily giving to charity, rather than being robbed :)

Last edited:
BTB 500 said:

My insurance was cheaper parking the car in a public open car park (which has cctv) than it is to park on my private drive which is double gated to only three houses inc security lights

Is the contract a rolling one where you're at three or four sites across the six months for the same contractor?

I'd be looking at long stay accommodation, even short-stay apartments could be cheaper. Looking out for places with private/gated communal parking and having a list of addresses to tell the insurer. Going in prepared with as much information to give them

Maybe look at train season tickets and public transport

Thanks for all this guys. I am actually in Sussex and will be working in Solihull. Trains take twice as long to drive and then there's the faff of getting about. Will ring my insurers and see what they say. Am looking at AirBnB to keep cost down and find somewhere in a good area that the car can be left safely overnight. My insurance was cheaper for being in the garage. I was told this was no more than thieves drive round looking for cars and out of sight is out of mind. It's a fixed period contract and we will review at the end so don't know if this will be perm or temp ATM.

Solihull is pleasant, so you'll find somewhere nice to park.

I have friends in a similar position in Solihull. One rents a flat which comes with a garage, and another negotiated a rate at the Hilton Metropole. I'm sure you'll find something.

If you're close to the Birmingham International airport & station, then it's only 1h 7m to London Euston by train.

Well you have already insured it for business use,in other words you are using your car as a rep car,the only limit would be mileage and you have upped that I cannot see the insurance company charging more,but tell them and see.

So I rang my insurers and they said that as I am staying at locations Unknown ie don't have a second residence it's fine and no changes to make. If the worst happens I did ask and can't be accused of not letting them know. Interestingly going from an A45 to C220d there was no refund once I'd upped the miles!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom