Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sweetpea..

there are three options:

'reasonable preventative' action
'unreasonable preventative' action
'punitive' action

The first is permitted, the other two are not.

The problem is usually in differentiating between the first and the second.
In the dark, alone, scared sh1tless and someone is stalking you in your home, very few of us could reasonably be expected to rationally examine our 3 options and select the most appropriate

In the dark, alone, scared sh1tless and someone is stalking you in your home, very few of us could reasonably be expected to rationally examine our 3 options and select the most appropriate

The third option is very easily acknowledged.. if you run after the perpetrator down the road for instance. But I do agree with you - it's making the distinction between the first and the second which is the problem.

I do a lot of bushcraft, so have a machete hanging on the wall in my room (along with a survival knife and a compound bow)... should I spear a theoretical burglar, and it turns out he's unarmed...

So you can stab the intruder after you've put an arrow in his head, chop him up into pieces with your machete, and then put a spell on him with your bushcraft powers?

Still with your luck you'll end up with an arrow in your foot and the machete dropping off the wall onto your head...

I just spat a bit of cherry pie onto my laptop laughing at that ! :D

So you can stab the intruder after you've put an arrow in his head, chop him up into pieces with your machete, and then put a spell on him with your bushcraft powers?

Still with your luck you'll end up with an arrow in your foot and the machete dropping off the wall onto your head...

They wouldn't get past the climbing frame thingy that he's going to strap to his house.

Arresting someone on suspicion of committing an offence is not the same as charging them... apparently it is standard procedure for Police to arrest the suspected killer on suspicion of murder, even in cases of self defence.

At any rate, that's what they said in the case of the shopkeeper that stabbed a robber to death with the robber's own knife following a struggle - they initially arrested the shopkeeper on suspicion of murder but later released him without charge.

Shame they arrest these people really, it'll be a right pain for them if they need to travel to America in the future.

I thought that was how they were getting in...

What he needs is a trap-door into the underground water tank.

They'd probably be having too much fun to try and burgle him.

Surely the electric fence and the doberman pinscher to keep the pikeys away from the alloy wheels will deter any would be intruders ?

Bad luck if the burgler got to the wall of weapons before Michelle does...

How ironic would that be?

They climb in using a climbing frame you've installed, they Kung-Fu your ass with your decorative chop-sticks and then take your alloy wheels on their way out.

I wonder if it is like the wall in 'Enter the Dragon' , all full of retro-fit hands with bear claws and knives for fingers ?

At any rate, that's what they said in the case of the shopkeeper that stabbed a robber to death with the robber's own knife following a struggle - they initially arrested the shopkeeper on suspicion of murder but later released him without charge.

That guy was 72 as well - every credit!

However, the premise of the original post seemed to be that killing intruders would save the taxpayer £40,000 a year - a view that I felt compelled to challenge.

It does, ultimately - as long as you don't 'do a Tony Martin'.

Certainly 3 I know of late, so £120,000 saved.

Just think how many duck houses you could spend that on!

The fact of the matter is this; if someone is creeping about your abode and you've got any sort of weapon about you, then there's a good chance that you'll use it if you've got anything about you.

I can only speak of the community that I live in/know, but the chance of a 5 year stretch would be the least of your worries if you're going to try and burgle anywhere near me. Where I was born and brought up there is still a sense of vigilism....

I lives in the USA for a while. Every man and his dog kept a gun under their pillow to shoot the burglar/rapist/murderer.

The number of husbands staggering in after a night on the piss, kids sleepwalking or going to the toilet shot by their scared mum or wife was scarily high.

You never went round to neighbours at night unless you phoned them first and established they were really expecting you, and not ******. (intoxicated or angry)

I'm happy to hide under the bed be a coward... should it ever happen...

Last edited:
Best not to speculate until all the facts are noted.

Steady on old boy! This is the Internet! If unfounded speculation and meretricious nonsense were banned the Internet would grind to a halt overnight

Nick Froome

Shame they arrest these people really, it'll be a right pain for them if they need to travel to America in the future.

Don't think arrests count unless there's a conviction. I doubt in this case there will even be a charge, let alone a conviction but we don't know all the facts so it's all supposition at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom