iphone 3g with tom tom

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercmanuk

MB Enthusiast
Car
C180 AVANTGARDE SE SPORT GONE AND MISSED LANDROVER FREELANDER 2 LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW
does anyone know if there are tomtom maps available yet for the iphone,need a new phone and sat nav so the iphone would be a great option.
phone/satnav and ipod all in one

I didnt think TomTom was even being developed for an iPhone.

Nothing as yet but then again Apple's Ts & Cs are causing some concerns at the moment. They appear to preclude third parties from offering route guidance apps.

"Applications may not be designed or marketed for real time route guidance; automatic or autonomous control of vehicles, aircraft, or other mechanical devices, dispatch or fleet management; or emergency or live-saving purposes." - Apple

iPhone currently won't support SatNav "by turn" because the phone's firmware doesn't support this (the ability to respond to your location while travelling at speed), however the current version of fimware out to test does do this suggesting that Apple may be relenting on their ban in the SDK.

All of the satnav standalone producers are looking nervously at 3G, with the consumer market anxious to integrate all of their technology into the smallest number of separate products. However the early release of Co-Pilot for Windows Mobile 3G devices isn't having as marked effect as predicted which could in itself account for Apple's tardiness to enter the market.

Both TomTom and TeleNav are said to have products ready to release for the platform.

In the meantime you are stuck with Google Maps which is fine as long as you are walking or stopping the car frequently!

iPhone currently won't support SatNav "by turn" because the phone's firmware doesn't support this (the ability to respond to your location while travelling at speed),

Mine keeps up while travelling at speed.

Certainly up to 70mph - it does have a gps chip as well as 3g.

Just out of curiosity, how do you actually use a GPS-equipped phone legally in the UK for navigation in-car? It seems to me that you could only legally touch the device when stationary and with the engine not running without risking a FPN and 3 points on your licence due to the fact that it's also a "hand-held communication device". Or am I missing something?

Just out of curiosity, how do you actually use a GPS-equipped phone legally in the UK for navigation in-car? It seems to me that you could only legally touch the device when stationary and with the engine not running without risking a FPN and 3 points on your licence due to the fact that it's also a "hand-held communication device". Or am I missing something?

You would of course never program anything while driving - a phone, Tomtom or otherwise. Do you mean you program your tomtom while driving?
If its in an attached holster you can still see it.

Do you mean you program your tomtom while driving?
No, I don't. But I may do so while stationary with the engine running, and I can also prod a button on it to zoom in or out or change views while driving both legally and safely which I don't see how you could lawfully do with a phone-based GPSR because you are "using" it.

Last edited:
If the phone is in a phone mount, my understanding is that you can touch it.

Its the holding part that puts one on dodgy ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom