• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Is it worth trying a petrol additive?

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 65149
  • Start date Start date
D

Deleted member 65149

I'm wondering whether or not to try a fuel additive to see if it may resolve an issue.

My EML has been coming on for the last couple of months, giving the code P2214 (NOx Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Bank 2). When I clear it, it stays off for a while but then pops back up after a few days or miles. I've had the NOx sensors replaced twice now but the car has only covered 36k miles.

The vast majority of the car's use is short, city driving so I'm wondering whether the real issue is carbon build up, particularly in the exhaust system.

I haven't used any fuel additives in any car for well over 40 years, but thinking about giving one a try to see if I can eliminate the root cause of the issue. I've found a couple that claim to clean the catalytic converter and lambda sensors. What do you think, is it worth giving one a try? Has anyone here used either of these?

While Cataclean is being added to the fuel, it isn't 'fuel additive' per-se.

Opinions are devided on whether it actually works, or it's snake oil. If you Google it, you'll find some people who tested it and show improved emissions, while other experts claim that no chemical compound can survive the combustion chamber and still be effective when it reaches the catalytic converter.

Personally, for the price of a can, I would give the product a chance.

Re carbon build-up in the intake system, regular use of premium fuel, or occasional use of fuel additives (Redex/Forte/Millers/BG44K etc) should help there.

I'm wondering whether or not to try a fuel additive to see if it may resolve an issue.

My EML has been coming on for the last couple of months, giving the code P2214 (NOx Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Bank 2). When I clear it, it stays off for a while but then pops back up after a few days or miles. I've had the NOx sensors replaced twice now but the car has only covered 36k miles.

The vast majority of the car's use is short, city driving so I'm wondering whether the real issue is carbon build up, particularly in the exhaust system.

I haven't used any fuel additives in any car for well over 40 years, but thinking about giving one a try to see if I can eliminate the root cause of the issue. I've found a couple that claim to clean the catalytic converter and lambda sensors. What do you think, is it worth giving one a try? Has anyone here used either of these?

The problem with short journeys is that the exhaust gases are ‘wet’ for much of the time and water is not good for the after-treatment systems.

The problem with short journeys is that the exhaust gases are ‘wet’ for much of the time and water is not good for the after-treatment systems.
Yes, I have seen steam from the exhausts when I’ve watched my wife driving away from cold.

Yes, I have seen steam from the exhausts when I’ve watched my wife driving away from cold.
For every gallon of fuel burned, roughly one gallon of water is made in the combustion process (if I remember correctly). Once the gases get up to temperature, the water vapour fraction becomes dry/drier, plus the exhaust system warms up enough to prevent or reduce condensation when the engine is switched off. Frequent short urban journeys are a bit challenging for all sorts of reasons.

For every gallon of fuel burned, roughly one gallon of water is made in the combustion process (if I remember correctly). Once the gases get up to temperature, the water vapour fraction becomes dry/drier, plus the exhaust system warms up enough to prevent or reduce condensation when the engine is switched off. Frequent short urban journeys are a bit challenging for all sorts of reasons.
As the old expression goes, I need to get out more!

Hi , that's why I use Shell V Power
Which will definitely help keep the injectors clean or indeed clean them up, but won’t in my opinion do much to mitigate the effects frequent short journeys have on exhaust after-treatment system cleanliness/functionality.

Last edited:
With petrol , Octane rules , with derv , Cetane rules .

If you can improve the numbers with additives beating the pumps , then you didn't concentrate on the finger .

There's usually an exhaust temperature sensor in front of the 2 NOx sensors and SCR to monitor exhaust temperature- the adblue system NOx sensors [each effectively 2 lambda sensors in tandem] should not switch on till the engine/exhaust has reached full operating temperature to avoid water damage which shortens sensor life ----like Diesel DPFs Adblue NOx systems don't like short journeys but unlike dpfs they can't be regenerated just replaced! :(

I would think that the root cause of the problem is the short journeys. 36k miles in 9 years = 4k pa. OK if the car is used once a week but it sounds like it is used for short journeys - rather than spend money on additives why not take the car for a 100 mile drive once or twice a month - and give it some beans after 50 miles when it is nice and hot. It will do the whole engine transmission and braking systems a world of good.

I would think that the root cause of the problem is the short journeys. 36k miles in 9 years = 4k pa. OK if the car is used once a week but it sounds like it is used for short journeys - rather than spend money on additives why not take the car for a 100 mile drive once or twice a month - and give it some beans after 50 miles when it is nice and hot. It will do the whole engine transmission and braking systems a world of good
You echo my thoughts on what the root cause is. I’m not so convinced about your solution. 100 miles a month would cost over £200 a year in petrol alone, as well as the cost of wear and tear on tyres, brakes, suspension. I’m only thinking of a £10 dose of additive once, then perhaps once a year to keep carbon build up at bay if it works.

Well you want to clean something in the engine system,so sure buy a bottle of say Redx but run the fuel tank down to say a third and then drive to a industrial estate or somewhere quiet early morning and put the whole bottle in and then and do some low gear high revs runs up and down,if there is any carbon or crud in the system there will be loads of black smoke out the back,then when it clears fill the car up.

Well you want to clean something in the engine system,so sure buy a bottle of say Redx but run the fuel tank down to say a third and then drive to a industrial estate or somewhere quiet early morning and put the whole bottle in and then and do some low gear high revs runs up and down,if there is any carbon or crud in the system there will be loads of black smoke out the back,then when it clears fill the car up.
Would it smoke if you have a DPF fitted ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom